Cayin N7: A Voyager of Unexplored Frontier
Mar 8, 2023 at 1:57 AM Post #616 of 1,875
I'd be very interested in a comparison with your 320, maybe how the N7 plays with DD's and ambient/electronic music? When you've had some time to listen of course. Thanks!

Yes no problem, I’m very curious to experiment and determine which I prefer as I’ll probably only keep one of them ultimately.

Mar 8, 2023 at 2:53 AM Post #617 of 1,875
Anyone have experience with IER-Z1R? I'm curious about the synergy.
I have a z1r, but I only use it to listen to a few songs when I first got the N7, and other times I only use other headphones to try the N7. I can only say that the combination of the initial impression is okay. I still prefer the R01 Z1r, but it is too early to say, my N7 has not fully burned, and I will check it after 100 hours.

Mar 8, 2023 at 5:23 AM Post #618 of 1,875
Only slight negative so far is I find the UI a bit slow versus DX320X, album covers take a bit longer to load in the music app - but I can certainly live with that!

The album art is delayed deliberately. When we start a song, we fill up the buffer in the RAM first, and then we playback from the RAM instead of playing it from the internal storage or TF card directly, There is a lot of read/write activities in the first couple of seconds. We deliberately fetch the album art AFTER the buffer, hence causing a short delay in displaying the album art. This is a small trick to improve the playback quality.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 8, 2023 at 5:35 AM Post #619 of 1,875
Please fix the charging issue. I set the maximum charge to 95%. But it is fully charged to 100%. :smile_cat:

Some problems "Pop noise" when changing Amp Class in High Gain.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PS. If having trouble download apps in Play Store, I recommend resetting N7. :smiley_cat:

Did you switch off your DAP when you charge it overnight? The Maximum charge setting is an Android feature, it won't work when you turn off your DAP (offlined the Android system).

Playback and charging at the same time is always a compromise, the battery will warm up because of that, and the heat inside the DAP will generate noise, so Class A + High Gain + Charge and playback at the same time is definitely not recommended.

Mar 8, 2023 at 5:48 AM Post #620 of 1,875
when i tried to play dsf (dsd512) files i got from nativedsd, the player saw the titles artwork etc, but skipped them without playing (similar story using UAPP) anything i am doing wrong ?

Can you show us some information about the DSD512 file? Music Players such as Foobar2000 can display music file properties on your PC, I would like to check the codec information and ask our Enigneer to follow up.

58cd96390bbd1_KrallDST.jpg.f39c50e395d535f1738d02fa71de8da6.jpg

Mar 8, 2023 at 6:01 AM Post #621 of 1,875
@Andykong Have you tried the Meze Elite with Cayin N7? I wonder how good is this pairing.

Mar 8, 2023 at 6:23 AM Post #622 of 1,875
@Andykong Have you tried the Meze Elite with Cayin N7? I wonder how good is this pairing.
Enjoyable but limited in certain areas, not the best pairing for Elite. The N7 didn't have enough power for demanding music with full-size planar. The LIRIC is a better pairing, I'll add C9 into the chain if I need to use Meze Elite with N7.

Mar 8, 2023 at 6:52 AM Post #624 of 1,875
Anyone have experience with IER-Z1R? I'm curious about the syn
N7 and IER Z1R it’s a good match.
The Sony sound became even better with the huge soundstage of N7.
Treble are under control, no sparkling here, just texture and body on highs.
Mids are ok, N7 has a transparent feeling, so they are little bit recessed by Z1R frequency response.

Bass are exquisite, N7 provides tons of detail and texture, so Z1R shine at best by his wonderful bass performance.

Mar 8, 2023 at 7:01 AM Post #625 of 1,875
Enjoyable but limited in certain areas, not the best pairing for Elite. The N7 didn't have enough power for demanding music with full-size planar. The LIRIC is a better pairing, I'll add C9 into the chain if I need to use Meze Elite with N7.
Did you try with Rognir planar, which I seem to recall you were a fan of?

Mar 8, 2023 at 7:22 AM Post #626 of 1,875
Did you switch off your DAP when you charge it overnight? The Maximum charge setting is an Android feature, it won't work when you turn off your DAP (offlined the Android system).

Playback and charging at the same time is always a compromise, the battery will warm up because of that, and the heat inside the DAP will generate noise, so Class A + High Gain + Charge and playback at the same time is definitely not recommended.
What?

With respect, FiiO can set the Maximum charge while the device is off.

In High Gain , I switch Class A to Class AB or Class AB to Class A when playing music so make "Pop noise" ......no charging when playing music.

Mar 8, 2023 at 9:09 AM Post #630 of 1,875
One week into listening to the N7 - continues to refine its sound slightly as it is played more. Still only about 30 hours on it. This is a VERY good sounding DAP as it has an organic and natural tone with a touch of (what I call) "electric amplification". I do not like "electric amplification" and this DAP has very little of it. While I do like the AKM sound signature for the most part it does have more of the "electric amplification" sound than I desire.

What do I mean by the "electric amplification effect"? Having spent the first part of my life as a musician participating in many different types of performances (lead singer in a rock band, trumpet player in a jazz group, trumpet player in a symphony orchestra, and a 3 year member of a US Army Band playing marching music, jazz/rock (Chicago, Blood Sweat & Tears), I found that there is a signifiant degradation in the timbre of an insrument when it is plugged into an amplifier. A lone acoustic guitar player on a small stage changes in a poor way when he plugs his guitar into an amp and projects the sound from that. So many nuances are lost. Much of the organic nature is lost. The plucking and strumming sounds disappear, etc.. Intimacy is lost.

The less of the "electric amplification" that exists the better the sound is to my ears in my genres (string quartet and soft jazz).

The N7 for the money provides a mostly natural sound profile. The P6 Pro has a bit more of that organic source sound but lacks the full volume presentation preferred for my headphone use.

In closing, for me, the N7 is a keeper.

“There is something very human, natural, and fundamentally beautiful in hearing a musical instrument played in its raw state,” observes Xuefei Yang, one of the world’s finest classical guitarists and the first internationally recognized Chinese guitarist on the global stage. “If the acoustic character of the venue allows, unamplified is always my preferred way to perform."

"The challenge becomes how to present the instrument as it’s meant to be presented, in a space that it wasn’t meant to be performed in. There’s a tie-in between the way we record and the way we should amplify. I think in terms of perspective—what kind of perspective am I presenting to the listener? Your goal is a natural experience, like you want your audience to not know that it was amplified.”
Source:
https://classicalguitarmagazine.com...assical-guitar-the-search-for-natural-colors/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back