Cayin N6 DAP: Dual PCM1792 / Dual Mono / 24-192 / DSD128 / SACD ISO
Jul 21, 2016 at 6:36 AM Post #1,757 of 1,977
Best sound with 4.3 from all  fws.The most balanced sound yet with superb imaging.Tonality neutral with slight brightness less than fw 3.1 just the way i like it,strikes the right balance between analytical and musical.Responsiveness improved.Good job!

Jul 21, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #1,758 of 1,977
  Best sound with 4.3 from all  fws.The most balanced sound yet with superb imaging.Tonality neutral with slight brightness less than fw 3.1 just the way i like it,strikes the right balance between analytical and musical.Responsiveness improved.Good job!

for a moment..i thought i am dreaming but you describe what i hear perfectly...netral with slight brightness than 3.1 ...however i hate that sligh brightness..may reflash it back to 4.2

Jul 21, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #1,759 of 1,977
Happily, you have plenty firmware versions to choose to your own taste :wink: I will too play with the different firmwares to get the best match.

Good thing that I bought a very dark IEM today, irony of destiny. Guess it will match amazing with this 4.3.

And I also feel the player is more responsive now.

At the end of the development cycle, N6 reached its TOTL hi-fi level. And I think that's really great, it was an effort of evolution from Cayin. Not many would care that much! We have brand from next future DAPs. But right now, N6 is a bliss to listen 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 22, 2016 at 6:03 AM Post #1,760 of 1,977
for a moment..i thought i am dreaming but you describe what i hear perfectly...netral with slight brightness than 3.1 ...however i hate that sligh brightness..may reflash it back to 4.2

I also prefer 4.2 than 4.3 with my gear. A bit smoother and more musical. Feels like 4.3 is a bit more hot in mids and treble. A bit splashy sound. Really like 4.2. Staying with this one, because I really like the page scrolling. Great functionality BTW Cayin!

Jul 22, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #1,761 of 1,977
Is there an option of just playing a folder and that's it? It goes to next folder and it has a diferent volume range...Like coming from a record not affected by loudness wars to a very affected. It's much louder and blow my ears...

Jul 24, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #1,762 of 1,977

Which firmware is better or do you prefer with IE800: 4.2 or 4.3?
Cheers!

Aug 7, 2016 at 9:37 PM Post #1,764 of 1,977
I am an early supporter
Have not made a firmware update from the original version 1

Went to the upload page ?Keys222.
Dragged the n64.2 rar file

See no n6.w file

Load the chip
Error - os (?)not found

Can you load dvd-a audio files?

Aug 11, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #1,765 of 1,977
Just picked up a pre-owned N6. As an upgrade from my old Xuelin 770C it's a huge difference! Not only in the audio, but also in the UI and build quality (size and weight aside haha). Feels like my DN-2000s are finally free to operate at their best. It was also nice to go to their website and see Cayin being very on the ball with the firmware updates adding features and fixing bugs, I think it's a definite value-add in the DAP market. 

Aug 11, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #1,766 of 1,977
Hi ,

I have an issue with the battery of my N6. Once fully charged, the indicator barely drops after an hour of usage. It gradually shows a decrease for another couple of hours, then it suddenly dies and requires a charge. I have no way of knowing the charge of the battery. Any help is appreciated. I purchased the unit second hand and the battery issue has gotten worse over the past 6 months. 

Aug 11, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #1,767 of 1,977
  Hi ,

I have an issue with the battery of my N6. Once fully charged, the indicator barely drops after an hour of usage. It gradually shows a decrease for another couple of hours, then it suddenly dies and requires a charge. I have no way of knowing the charge of the battery. Any help is appreciated. I purchased the unit second hand and the battery issue has gotten worse over the past 6 months. 

Sounds like capacity loss/battery degradation (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacity_loss / http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/bu_808b_what_causes_li_ion_to_die). Happens very often in smartphones due to their smaller capacities (more noticeable difference) and generally higher operating temperatures (perhaps the N6's tendency to run a little hot doesn't help matters).  My old smartphone exhibited the same problem where it appeared to be all systems normal but would consistently die when at ~20% battery (meaning it only had an 'actual' capacity of 80% left). Unfortunately your only respite may be to replace the battery. Have you updated your device firmware to the latest version (4.3) off of http://en.cayin.cn/ ? The problem may well be a software issue, for example in one of the newest firmware update notes I recall reading a line saying something like 'allow battery charge from 99%-100%' which to be fair I have no idea what it means exactly, but it may help.
redface.gif
  On an unrelated note I sure hope my N6 that I just bought second-hand doesn't exhibit battery issues that soon
eek.gif
 /knocks on wood

Aug 11, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #1,768 of 1,977
Yeah, I upgraded my firmware with no changes. I think my battery is faulty and I may have to mail it in to Cayin.

Aug 12, 2016 at 4:27 AM Post #1,769 of 1,977
Yeah, I upgraded my firmware with no changes. I think my battery is faulty and I may have to mail it in to Cayin.

To determine whether this is a battery (hardware) problem or a software problem, I'll suggest you perform a battery life test, then we'll figure out the more appropriate solution to your case.

While Lithium battery does not have memory effect, you do need to calibrate the gauge occasionally. I normally do this after 15-20 charging cycle (2 times 50% charging is count as one cycle) An inaccurate gauge can lead to the fact that the the battery capacity values are are wrong. The battery may report that it still has reasonable capacity when in fact it has a much lower value, and this causes the computer to shutdown unexpectedly. You can google the terms "Calibrate Gauge" on Lithium Battery.

To calibrate the gauge of a lithium battery, you simply need to do a full discharge followed by a full charge, so this is what I adviced:

(1) turn on the LED screen to maximum brightness and set the screen to "always on", keep it running until the player turn off itself.
(2) Charge the battery overnight, till you see 99% or 100% on the meter
(3) Set the screen to minimum brightness and 30sec duration only, set it to playback on any CD quality files (Wav or FLAC) continuously til the player power off again. Keep the screen off and check the battery reading every hour, and drop down the battery readings for record.

Hopefully the duration and accuracy of battery reading will go back to an acceptable level after the calibration. If not, we'll have some data to determine if this is a hardware problem or a software problem.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Aug 12, 2016 at 4:30 AM Post #1,770 of 1,977
I am an early supporter
Have not made a firmware update from the original version 1

Went to the upload page ?Keys222.
Dragged the n64.2 rar file

See no n6.w file

Load the chip
Error - os (?)not found

Can you load dvd-a audio files?

Sorry, I have missed your question.

Please be reminded that you can only used FAT32 formatted TF card when you perform firmware upgrade on N6. This is because the firmware upgarde process will only operate in native file system of the MCU in N6, and exFAT support is an add-on service to the MCU and this add-on service will be suspended during the firmware upgrade process.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back