Cayin N6 DAP: Dual PCM1792 / Dual Mono / 24-192 / DSD128 / SACD ISO
Jun 24, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #1,279 of 1,977

Are you sure there will be twin DAC's? I was under the impression that it will have a single DAC as part of the downsizing.

You're right, I just checked and it will indeed have a single DAC. My bad.

Guys, read my question and Thomas's reply here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/771208/cayin-n5-dap-rumours-and-discussion-thread/60#post_11691902

AK4490 is a dual channel DAC, meaning it's like two separate DAC in one package where you can process L/R separately.  It's as good as dual DAC and most likely the reason why AK selected it for AK380.

Jun 24, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #1,280 of 1,977

WOW! You are absolutely right! It's like sound now got a new dimension, more dynamic for sure! Soundstage seems to be a bit wider, don't you think?

@twister6, would you say it still retains the punch in tha bass and keeps the organic audio quality compared to the X5 while still sounding detailed?

Yes, the comment is still valid when compared to X5.  X5ii update was closing the gap, with the most noticeable difference being in soundstage, but that was comparing to N6 (fw2.0).  I might have to re-visit my comparison with fw3.0 since I think it pulled ahead again :)  I only had a few minutes to listen to N6 before and after fw3.0 upgrade using W60, and there was a definitive wow! factor.  I need to spend a little more listening time soaking in the changes and might need to go back'n'forth between fw versions.  Getting overloaded with reviews again so might take a little while :frowning2:

Jun 24, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #1,281 of 1,977

Guys, read my question and Thomas's reply here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/771208/cayin-n5-dap-rumours-and-discussion-thread/60#post_11691902

AK4490 is a dual channel DAC, meaning it's like two separate DAC in one package where you can process L/R separately.  It's as good as dual DAC and most likely the reason why AK selected it for AK380.

That's exciting news but from Thomas's answer, it is still not sure that Cayin will in fact run it in 2-channel dual mode.

Bu he didn't say they wouldn't!

Jun 24, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #1,282 of 1,977

That's exciting news but from Thomas's answer, it is still not sure that Cayin will in fact run it in 2-channel dual mode.

Bu he didn't say they wouldn't!

Perhaps a wishful thinking, but I'm sure Cayin with make an educated decision balancing performance and battery life.  Though I still hope it will be in favor of dual channel DAC implementation
biggrin.gif

One thing for sure, and don't take it as brown nosing, I was in touch with Cayin team before N6 global release and these guys are obsessed with quality and performance.  To the point where they will delay a release just to go back and to fix things.  Their original N6 beta release was done in a small batch and sent out only to a selected group of local testers who had them for a limited period.  Then, it was reworked based on collected feedback and I think then a next pre-production batch was sent out locally to iron out any final issue before releasing it globally.  The release date itself was delayed, but they made sure production units had no issues especially related to hardware.  You can always issues a fw update to fix software, but it's a PITA to recall units back for a hardware fix.

I'm hoping N5 will go through the same steps.  I'm just wishing they won't tune it down intentionally to keep N6 as a flagship and N5 is a step down.  From early N5 spec, it has a lot of potentials to share a spotlight with N6.  Perhaps, make it less powerful to drive common IEMs and allow stack up with external amp for a more serious power.  And if you want to ditch external amp, go with N6.  But I really hope sound quality will stay the same and they use both AK4490 channels.  I'm a huge fan of dual DAC architecture, especially with balanced wired output!

Jun 24, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #1,283 of 1,977

Perhaps a wishful thinking, but I'm sure Cayin with make an educated decision balancing performance and battery life.  Though I still hope it will be in favor of dual channel DAC implementation
biggrin.gif

One thing for sure, and don't take it as brown nosing, I was in touch with Cayin team before N6 global release and these guys are obsessed with quality and performance.  To the point where they will delay a release just to go back and to fix things.  Their original N6 beta release was done in a small batch and sent out only to a selected group of local testers who had them for a limited period.  Then, it was reworked based on collected feedback and I think then a next pre-production batch was sent out locally to iron out any final issue before releasing it globally.  The release date itself was delayed, but they made sure production units had no issues especially related to hardware.  You can always issues a fw update to fix software, but it's a PITA to recall units back for a hardware fix.

I'm hoping N5 will go through the same steps.  I'm just wishing they won't tune it down intentionally to keep N6 as a flagship and N5 is a step down.  From early N5 spec, it has a lot of potentials to share a spotlight with N6.  Perhaps, make it less powerful to drive common IEMs and allow stack up with external amp for a more serious power.  And if you want to ditch external amp, go with N6.  But I really hope sound quality will stay the same and they use both AK4490 channels.  I'm a huge fan of dual DAC architecture, especially with balanced wired output!

We have carried out all the planning and direction of CAYIN product line, of course, there may be as time goes vary, because the market is constantly changing.

From DAP terms, N6 is our only one, but we did not, by definition N6 is the flagship, the fact is that on each product we are trying to give different because of differences in market demand and to strive to achieve it intermediate may cause differences in price because of the cost factor, but the basic concept does not change, even the cheapest, and we hope that price, this product is good enough.

This is also where the definition of N5, so we gave him more features than the N6 and differentiation which have more space because of the structure, so that N5 hold dual TF card and data transfer of USB3.0.

Talk about the N6, he is CAYIN sound understanding of a specific product performance, but also the first time in this market CAYIN Products to complete the show, and the future, I believe there are more.

Cheers.

Jun 25, 2015 at 3:22 AM Post #1,284 of 1,977
Originally Posted by Thomas Cayin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is also where the definition of N5, so we gave him more features than the N6 and differentiation which have more space because of the structure, so that N5 hold dual TF card and data transfer of USB3.0.

Hmmm, I had another brand upgrade dap in mind to order later this summer, but now you've got my full attention
biggrin.gif

I really enjoy the dual TF card slots in my X5...and also a balanced output? => just subbed to the N5 thread...

Jun 25, 2015 at 8:32 AM Post #1,285 of 1,977

Hello Thomas,

These are very welcome features and I look forward to buying this unit. Will you use the AK4490 DAC in 2-channel dual mode?

Thanks.

Jun 25, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #1,289 of 1,977
Pretty sure it's aesthetics.

I think it's all a masterplan for @x RELIC x to come up with a clever graphics in the middle of visible square display so you can see a round "analog" GUI in the middle of round black background circle :wink:  Wishful thinking?  Hell Yeah!!!  But I know Craig can do it in his sleep
biggrin.gif

Jun 25, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #1,290 of 1,977
:wink_face:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back