Cayin N6 DAP: Dual PCM1792 / Dual Mono / 24-192 / DSD128 / SACD ISO
Apr 15, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #736 of 1,977
Tbh the n6 and x3 cant be compared. Different price range. I tried the x3k aka x3ii not impressed i found it dark with good mids bass was there but no impact couldnt feel the treble. Just comparing with the n6. Just that the selling point of the x3k is they perfected the build quality it feels good on ur hands and sturdy unlike x1 and x5. And of course dsd native, but srsly everything will be dsd native soon lol. In the end how it sounds only matters. Overall the n6 is still my favorite, especially with a ath-r70x <3

Apr 18, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #738 of 1,977
Hi, anybody tried this with a hd800?

I did briefly, trying to super hard to remember something. I have my n6 on me but my hd800 are packed away in storage. Can you wait about 7 months, I'll be back home then.

Apr 19, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #740 of 1,977

I did briefly, trying to super hard to remember something. I have my n6 on me but my hd800 are packed away in storage. Can you wait about 7 months, I'll be back home then.

hmm bro i would just like to know if on high gain the cayin can drive it both soundwise and volume no need any in depth details.

Apr 19, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #741 of 1,977
I've just got my hands on a brand new N6. Had it a week but, for different reasons I didn't open it till last night.

Whilst I have been incredibly impressed with the sound I have discovered either a major flaw in the player or confirmation of my Wife's suspicion - I'm an idiot.

I can't play albums sequentially, one after the other, not without physically picking the player up & starting another album. You can't hit play just to start playing albums, only tracks within albums & once the tracks have been played in that album, the music stops.

What am I missing ? I sincerely hope it is my stupidity & it's easily remedied & will be happy to make my Wife's day :-D.

I read through the manual online a few times last night, in case I was missing something. My Wife suggested that I should look to adjusting the structure of the album folders into as few as possible. For example, one album ripped is from a series of volumes 1-9, each volume consisting of four discs/albums. So, on the PC there’s an initial file with the series title name, that contains a further nine that are the volumes & each of those contains four more of each disc & in each of those is the music files. Because I just copied & pasted that structure, as they’ve been ripped & compiled on the desktop, my Wife thought that’s where the problem may be & so I started re-labelling them so they’re not folders within folders.

It hasn't worked.

I can play the trance, hip-hop & rock n roll (Elvis) genres on their own as they’re not mixed & the randomness wouldn’t bother me but, I have many house albums that are sequentially mixed & to play them as a genre means they play in order of track title number so 1 then 1 then 2 then 2 etc. from any number of albums. That is a mess & not an acceptable listening experience.

Just looking quickly, making up a playlist or favourites doesn’t look easy & it looks time consuming.

I hope I’ve made the issue clear to somebody so that you understand because I’ve also contacted Cayin, in the hope they may be able to offer some advice. If you can't understand me, then I doubt they will.

The player is set to play once, I assume that's the normal setting, to ordinarily play through in succession, all the music on the card but, it won't.

Any thoughts please ?

Apr 19, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #742 of 1,977
  I've just got my hands on a brand new N6. Had it a week but, for different reasons I didn't open it till last night.

Whilst I have been incredibly impressed with the sound I have discovered either a major flaw in the player or confirmation of my Wife's suspicion - I'm an idiot.

I can't play albums sequentially, one after the other, not without physically picking the player up & starting another album. You can't hit play just to start playing albums, only tracks within albums & once the tracks have been played in that album, the music stops.

What am I missing ? I sincerely hope it is my stupidity & it's easily remedied & will be happy to make my Wife's day :-D.

I read through the manual online a few times last night, in case I was missing something. My Wife suggested that I should look to adjusting the structure of the album folders into as few as possible. For example, one album ripped is from a series of volumes 1-9, each volume consisting of four discs/albums. So, on the PC there’s an initial file with the series title name, that contains a further nine that are the volumes & each of those contains four more of each disc & in each of those is the music files. Because I just copied & pasted that structure, as they’ve been ripped & compiled on the desktop, my Wife thought that’s where the problem may be & so I started re-labelling them so they’re not folders within folders.

It hasn't worked.

I can play the trance, hip-hop & rock n roll (Elvis) genres on their own as they’re not mixed & the randomness wouldn’t bother me but, I have many house albums that are sequentially mixed & to play them as a genre means they play in order of track title number so 1 then 1 then 2 then 2 etc. from any number of albums. That is a mess & not an acceptable listening experience.

Just looking quickly, making up a playlist or favourites doesn’t look easy & it looks time consuming.

I hope I’ve made the issue clear to somebody so that you understand because I’ve also contacted Cayin, in the hope they may be able to offer some advice. If you can't understand me, then I doubt they will.

The player is set to play once, I assume that's the normal setting, to ordinarily play through in succession, all the music on the card but, it won't.

Any thoughts please ?

the dx90 works the same way, at least when played via folder structure instead of tags.  i'm not sure how the n6 handles tags- that would be worth looking at.  the alternative is tiresome - renumber the first album as 101, 102, 103..., the second album as 201, 202, 203... etc

Apr 19, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #744 of 1,977
What about the sound?

i have the same question.  i have a dx90 but have been following this thread, wondering about whether i wanted to get the n6.

i have noted at least 3 members who've posted in this thread who mentioned also having, or having had, a dx90:
1, @lalala6 
2. @vilhelm44
3. @taz23 

i would be very interested in hearing a comparison of the n6 and dx90 from each of them, with as much detail as they care to give.

Apr 19, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #745 of 1,977
Any number  of DAPs don't play folder to folder.  Until firmware updates, the whole of Fiio players didn't.  My C3 didn't.  My DX50 didn't.  My Pono doesn't.  It's just part of the whole "not everything is the way we like it" syndrome.  
smile.gif

I'm much more interested in the sound quality than folder to folder play, and not having it wouldn't be a deal=breaker for me.  It's nice, I like it, but in the realm of things it's not a must-have.  For
others I can see that they "need" it, and maybe it IS a deal-breaker.  

Apr 19, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #746 of 1,977
  Any number  of DAPs don't play folder to folder.  Until firmware updates, the whole of Fiio players didn't.  My C3 didn't.  My DX50 didn't.  My Pono doesn't.  It's just part of the whole "not everything is the way we like it" syndrome.  
smile.gif

I'm much more interested in the sound quality than folder to folder play, and not having it wouldn't be a deal=breaker for me.  It's nice, I like it, but in the realm of things it's not a must-have.  For
others I can see that they "need" it, and maybe it IS a deal-breaker.  

Thanks for your replies jk47 & olddude.

It's a deal breaker for me as I use a power chair & listen to my music when I'm out on my "chariot" (the name for me chair). I don't get my phone out of my pocket whilst I'm out & about in case it's snatched from me & won't the media player for the same reason. It's also not convenient as I don't have the dexterity to keep pulling it in & out of my pocket to constantly push play if it doesn't play folders/albums.

So, as much as I do absolutely love the sound & have never heard something so good personally with the combination of my Westone W60s, for me it is a deal breaker :frowning2:.

Apr 19, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #747 of 1,977
The Fiio X5 and X1 (and I assume the new X3ll) will do what you want.  Those I know for sure.  The X5 is a very good player, easy to work with and it sounds good without the need for an amp unless you have really "difficult" headphones.  Not real big, either, smaller than the Cayin for sure.  

If you want one of those, pm me and we can talk.

Apr 19, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #748 of 1,977
  The Fiio X5 and X1 (and I assume the new X3ll) will do what you want.  Those I know for sure.  The X5 is a very good player, easy to work with and it sounds good without the need for an amp unless you have really "difficult" headphones.  Not real big, either, smaller than the Cayin for sure.  

If you want one of those, pm me and we can talk.

Yes, the new X3 will play through folders.

Apr 19, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #749 of 1,977
  i have the same question.  i have a dx90 but have been following this thread, wondering about whether i wanted to get the n6.

i have noted at least 3 members who've posted in this thread who mentioned also having, or having had, a dx90:
1, @lalala6 
2. @vilhelm44
3. @taz23 

i would be very interested in hearing a comparison of the n6 and dx90 from each of them, with as much detail as they care to give.

The N6 sounds warmer, larger soundstage, good bass impact. Whereas, the dx90 is blend and boring (thats my opinion). Closing thing the N6 will resemble is a X5.

Apr 19, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #750 of 1,977
  hmm bro i would just like to know if on high gain the cayin can drive it both soundwise and volume no need any in depth details.

Soundwise was ify and volume was good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back