Cayin N6 DAP: Dual PCM1792 / Dual Mono / 24-192 / DSD128 / SACD ISO
Apr 23, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #799 of 1,977
custom firmware would be nice. And if there can create different profile which control the internal hw to give different sound signature instead of using EQ will be nice. 

Tested N6 with Hifiman HE400i..this has better synergy compare to Beyer T90

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #803 of 1,977
  You've had a DX90 and you have or had an AK120. That makes you special. Can you give us your thoughts on a comparison? Particularly how they vary by sound quality with iem's. Please.

Would first need to clarify that I had UM Mentors when I owned the DX90.

I haven't heard the AK120 and N6 side by side with the Ref1's.  BUt I will try to compare the 3 daps.

I found the DX90 to be very in your face about its presentation.  When I say that I dont mean soundstage etc, as I found (from memory) those to be quite good.  The way it used to present details was in your face.  WHen I compared the ak100ii and the DX90 I referred to them like this:

DX90 - Like a teenager trying to pick up a chick... He is throwing everything out there, trying to impress her.
ak100ii - Is more mature in its presentation.  I got this, I know she is into it, just chill....

I think I also said that the resolution and detail from the DX90 was like lacing a boxing glove with details, having Mike Tyson said glove on and having him smash you in the face with them.
Alternatively the ak100ii was like lacing your favourite quilt with details and wrapping yourself up in them....

AAAANNNYYYYWAY....
What I found the DX90 lacked was a bit of separation and articulation when things got complex.  While everything you have heard til now would lead you to expect otherwise, when things got technical, the sound got more congested.

Now, you could replace the ak100ii above with ak120 and you would have a nice comparison also, except to my ears, the ak100ii exceeds the performance of the ak120.  Many will disagree and lets face it, when you are playing with DAPs, so much is subjective.

The AK120 is the analogue to the DX90's digital.  its a very smooth dap, but retains a great deal of detail.  Where the DX90 has great bass punch, the AK120 has more quantity, but perhaps a little less control.  THe DX90 I feel had a wider stage, however somehow the AK120 to me had more air.

OK so, so far what do we have?

DX90 - In your face, digital (not a bad thing) sounding, wide stage, aggressive (but not in a bright way) sound, Neutral analytical
AK120 - Mature, analogue sounding, great stage positioning and instrument separation, smooth cruisy, Neutral Natural

In addition to this you have the DX90 if I am recalling correctly having more output power, the option of gain settings and a line out.  It also has Coax.  The AK however has optical out, but no line out AS SUCH.

Leaving the Cayin.

I would say the sound of the Cayin is Neutral to bright.
To me it is more musical than the dx90, less so than the ak120, however almost forms a sort of bridge between the 2, while exceeding both in SQ.

The soundstage is large and you can pin point instruments on stage, when things get technical, it breaks out the graphics calculator and keeps everything in check.  Nothing gets muddled.
The bass, while not elevated AT ALL like the ak120, hits harder and faster than a DX90 and has all of the texture you would expect from a great player.

I havent had a whole lot of time with the Cayin, but I can say that it pairs amazingly with my Ref1's.  The Ref1's are a very smooth, yet detailed iem with OOOODLES of bass presence and great bass quality, however that bass can over-run what you are hearing on a weak source (power wise) and they are also resolving enough to make you want to acquire a better source or file through the upper register.

I find the driving power and resolution of the Cayin to work really well with the Ref1.  YMMV on brighter IEM's or headphones and the sound may become fatiguing.

I am writing this while working, so I will try make some useful comparison at some stage when I am not haha.

/end ramble

Apr 23, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #805 of 1,977

Shouldn't.

ONly thing you should notice is some of your louder tracks are less so :)

You're my hero thanks for the comparison. If you want a laugh, I am listening to the UM Mentors as I write this. So we have/had something in common. I contemplated getting the Ref 1 to add to my collection but the divergent reviews put me off. I have no opportunity to actually hear them first in this market. I will say that some have come up here used at massive discounts. That also gave me pause. Some reviewers seem to love them and some are brutal. Hard to tell. Now I hear they are coming out with a new model (The reference too) very soon so maybe they felt a change was needed.

Thanks for the info.

Apr 23, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #806 of 1,977
  You're my hero thanks for the comparison. If you want a laugh, I am listening to the UM Mentors as I write this. So we have/had something in common. I contemplated getting the Ref 1 to add to my collection but the divergent reviews put me off. I have no opportunity to actually hear them first in this market. I will say that some have come up here used at massive discounts. That also gave me pause. Some reviewers seem to love them and some are brutal. Hard to tell. Now I hear they are coming out with a new model (The reference too) very soon so maybe they felt a change was needed.

Thanks for the info.

Yeah the Ref1 is a fantastic IEM but not for everyone.  I bought them on faith and got lucky haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back