Cayin N6 DAP: Dual PCM1792 / Dual Mono / 24-192 / DSD128 / SACD ISO
Nov 13, 2014 at 1:44 AM Post #16 of 1,977
Andykong, for me one of the main characteristics of dx100 sound is realism and depth. Is N6 near to dx100 in this respect? What about bass in N6? For me dx100 is a little bit too warm but at the same time I would want it to have a little bit more subbass.

Nov 13, 2014 at 2:02 AM Post #17 of 1,977
Andykong, for me one of the main characteristics of dx100 sound is realism and depth. Is N6 near to dx100 in this respect? What about bass in N6? For me dx100 is a little bit too warm but at the same time I would want it to have a little bit more subbass.

Wow, what a coincident, the reason why I am interested in N6 is to look for a replacement to my DX100. I can tell you in short that that chance that I finally give up DX100 and switch to N6 is very very high, you'll be able to read my thought when I write up my impression on T5P and Kuro, but in short, I can tell you that that DX100 is indeed slightly warmer then N6, so that probably is the correct direction for you. On the bass department, DX100 has more authority while N6 is more linear, the lower extension is on par in my opinion, N6 probably is a bit short on this but I really can't notice the different without careful A/B compare on the same track and with repeated listening, so I won't say it affect my real-life listening at all.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 13, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #18 of 1,977
By the way, I have problem in putting a table into a post, is there any "straight-forward" solution for that? Right now, I put the table in MS Word, save as HTML, and then copy the complete HTML code to the HeadFI editor, it is kind of OK, but I have a big chuck of empty lines before the table for unknown reason, and the HTML code is extremely clumsy as it is generated by MS Word, and it is more or less un-editable, I basically have to edit my MS Word document, generate the HTML coding and Copy and Paste again, I hope there is a better way to put a table into a post.

Nov 14, 2014 at 4:20 AM Post #19 of 1,977
This is my first impression on N6, I am using a not-so-popular in-ear monitor Flat 4-Kuro as that is my daily earphone, if you are want to find out more about this headphone, you can check it out:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/663725/ocharaku-flat4-kuro-appreciation-thread

To make it easier to compare the performance of N6 against different player and headphones, I have shortlisted the following 10 tracks and put them into a designated order within a folder in my TF card, a few of these tracks are coming from popular Chinese music or HiFi sampler from Hong Kong, they probably are not a familiar choice to you guys, I’ll provide an online link whenever possible.
1. The Eagle, Hell Freeze Over, Track 6 - Hotel California
2. Naum Starkman – Chopin Piano Works, Track 2 - Scherzo for Piano No.2 in B Flat Minor, Op 31, CT.198
3. Carol Kidd, All my tomorrow, Track 6 - When I Dream
4. Tsai Chi, Folk Song (蔡琴民歌), Track 10 Just Like Your Tenderness(恰似你的溫柔)
5. Harry Belafonte at Carnegie Hall, Track 7 - Jamaica Farewell
6. (Guitar) Antonio De Lucena, Guitarra Clasica Espanola, Track 3 – Carman
7. (Harmonica) FIM sampler, Audiophile Reference 2: Popular Music, Monteiro, Jeremy & His Orchestra, Track 15 - Alone in My Chamber(獨上西樓)
8. (Violin) XUE Wei, The Romance Of Cremona (名琴名曲), Track 7 - Meditation (Massenet)
9. (Drum) YIM Hok Man (閰學敏), Poems of Thunder or Mater of Chinese Percussion (炎黃第一鼓), Track 1 - Poem of Chinese Drum (鼓詩)
10. Karajan with Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, Karajan Gold, Disc 2, Track 2 - Beethoven: Symphony #5 In C Minor, Op. 67 - 1. Allegro Con Brio

Hotel: N6 can drive and control the Kuro satisfactory. Kuro has four 10mm dynamic drivers in total, two in each side. I won’t call it a bass head but it does offer a lot of bass, especially if your amplifier is not “tight” enough in the bass department. I have tried quite a few DAP with Kuro, I am impressed with N6 on this area particularly and rate it as the best (i.e. not one of the best) I have laid my hand on, and that included the famous DX100 and the very expensive AK240. I have compared N6 against DX100 side by side on this track and prefer the soundstage, imaging, separation, detail and density of N6, DX100 excels on the high and low end extension, punch and transient. N6 makes you feels everything is in good order, you can hears the guitars line up one by one right in front of you. On the other hand, DX100 makes you feel the strength and the overall presentation is more up-front.

Naum Starkman (Chopin - Scherzo No. 2 in B flat minor, Op. 31) is definitely my favorite reference track in equipment audition and to compare system before and after certain tweak (e.g., changing a cable). Naum almost hit all the key on the Boaendorfer in the first minute, so if you are familiar with the track, you can immediately tell whether a system is balanced in sound, or whether a tweak is working as intended. The N6 and Kuro pair certainly pass this track with a fuzz, I would say the bass is still a little more than desirable but this won’t affect music enjoyment, and maybe this will improve the popularity from audiophiles. The can hear the piano keystrokes tail off very gradually as a percussion instruction should sounds like. My only concern on this track is that N6 sounds a bit polite in the overall presentation, I’ll appreciate more authority when the player strike really hard on the piano key.

Vocal is always the most important part of my daily listening so I always move into vocal tracks immediately after I have a general understanding of the equipment. Carol Kidd and Tsai Chi are my choice of female vocal test track. Tsai Chi probably is not a well-known singer outside Asia, I’ll describe her as Barbra Streisand in Chinese community. This is one of her signature track and you are welcome to check it out if you are interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cGvl7Aw_KU&list=PLvFdmVAbDIcE7ugq-F7nCi2O_X1x_Z5YY&index=4

The guitar from When I Dream is my checkpoint on vocal/music balancing; the bass string of this track can easily overwhelmed and affected the emotions and essence of the song. N6 again demonstrate amazing handling capability. Both Kidd and Tsai Chi are warm and smooth from N6 and not the very sweat-sounding type of vocal presentation, the emotion is there and is slightly glorified, Kidd is slimed and Tsai Chi seems a little bit younger then what I previously heard. I am very impressed that Chinese DAP finally go beyond the norm of powerful and dynamic sound signature and move into a more refined and delicate sound signature.

Jamaica Farewell from Belafonte is remarkably good from N6, I actually prefer the male vocal from N6 more than the Divas. You can almost feel the aspirate and laryngeal movement as have the singer right in front of you, and the ambience from Carnegie Hall is reproduced very well, if the double bass can be trim off just a little bit, I’ll call it my reference of this particular track with my IEM experience.

I switched to Acoustic Instruments immediately after I finished my Vocal tracks, and I have picked music pieces from guitar, harmonica and violin. I want to check out the fidelity, harmonic and micro-dynamic of the equipment through these tracks. To summarize, I think N6 is slightly lacking on the high frequency extension but shined in fidelity, you can hear rich and detail harmonic from all three instruments, I can feel the bouncing from guitar strings, the resonance from wood chamber of the violin and the vibration of metal plates inside the harmonica clearly. I was drag into the music within seconds and I credit these to the outstanding handling and control of N6 once again.

I always include a drum track in my audition; this is the ultimate test in dynamic and low frequency department. The track I frequently used is this drum solo composed by Tan Dun (譚盾), a Chinese contemporary classical composer and conductor, most widely known for his scores for the movies Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon as well as composing music for the medal ceremonies at the 2008 Beijing Olympics. This is THE drum track in Hong Kong audiophile community, I have located a Youtube demo but turst me, the dynamic is compressed and you are not hearing the original dynamic of the drum properly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwK3HFKAOzY&list=PL7xBDhzUtrx3luthmATPLjpqH2ameAigY&index=5

I was a bit worried before I try this track as N6 tends to be a bit polite, can it live through this ultimate test? Well, it indeed is not the strongest and fiercest version I heard, but the dynamic is beautiful, you won’t find the slightest sign of compression throughout the 10 minutes drum solo, at time, I can almost visualized the drum master hit at the middle of drum hard, and then the low frequency gradually roll out from the complete drum surface. Big drum is always the weak link with in-ear monitors and this combo offers something closest to a full-size headphone in my experience.

How can we miss the orchestral tracks, especially when N6 demonstrate very good soundstage and instrument reproduction in previous tests? I picked Karajan’s Beethoven: Symphony #5 because both conductors and the music piece are very popular among audiophiles. I definitely recommend N6 to Classical lovers, the soundstage and imaging are the strong suit of N6 and that is a no-lose situation on classical music already. The dual 1792A offers a lot of information, but you won’t feel buried by the detail. The BTL circuit offers the best separation you can expect from a DAP, so what more can you expect from a portable player in terms of audio performance?

If I didn't find any obvious error in this impression, I'll update this to my page 1 opening post tomorrow, English is not my first language, so all comment are welcome, especially if you spot any typo or language mistake in my writing.

By the way, how can I embed a youtube window in my posts? I have two youtube links here and I tried the video icon but is not working very well, I had done that before but lost touch on that already.

Nov 21, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #20 of 1,977
I believe control and interface is as important as sound when I come to pick a DAP that I want to use every day, so I think it is important to share my user experience with N6 as well:

(1) The N6 Beta unit is very stable, so far I only hang my machine once, and I can reset the N6 with a needle as there is a tiny reset hole at the bottom of the machine. Other than that, I didn’t experience any auto-shut-down or standstill, this is miles ahead of the DX50 which I owned when it was first introduced, that little baby just won’t stop reboot itself every day until firmware v1.22. Even Fiio X5 had a few bad moment in the first month of my ownership (I am first batch owner)

(2) To be honest, I was actually in the middle of USB driver test when N6 Beta was crashed, so I might be the one to blame. I was trying to test the Read/Write speed of the N6 but my desktop (Win8/1, 64bit) fail to recognize the DAP, so I plug/unplug 4-5 times to force the PC to install driver, and when I give up on that, the DAP freeze right in front of me. Fortunately the desktop PC is not friendly with the N6 after a firmware update.

(3) Cayin team is pretty strong when come to the firmware development capability. I have received 4 firmware update in past 18 days of Beta test, they really can tackle the issues promptly when serious problems that might affect the result of subsequent test were identified.

(4) Cayin is one of the biggest Audio brands in China, and they have their competitive edge because of their size and resource available at hand, it is an exciting experience to work with them. Other than the firmware development issue as mentioned above, they have a comprehensive team of engineering and specialized equipment readily available. For example, while we were discussing the temperature issue of N6, Cayin can provide an infra-red heat dispersion diagram to tell us the operating temp of N6, both inside and outside the machine, and allow us to actually SEE the hot spots inside the machine, and identify which Op Amp is causing the heat problem, and then try to resolve the issue by software control or changing related components. By the way, CNC aluminum is indeed a great design for heat dispersion because the different between internal and external temperature of N6 is merely 5 degree C, a lot smaller then I would anticipated.

(5) I really fell in love with the Jog Dial at first sight. My first experience with similar control mechanism dated all the way back to 1997, with a Sony mobile phone CMD Z1. At that time, the jog dial was a major selling point. Two decades gone by, I still think the Jog Dial is the best control interface for single handed operation with menu-driven devices. When I look at the N6 photo, I was worried that the Jog Dial is designed for Left Head user only. Fortunately the dial was placed at the right spot so it is actually quite OK to use it with right hand, not as smooth or efficient as using the left hand but I have no problem to get around the menu on daily use.

(6) Cayin grouped all the instructions under 5 sub-menu. Even without a manual provided during the Beta test, I can plug in the TF card and start to play music in no time. Give me 10 minutes to scroll through the two setup menu and changing some parameter to fit my personal preference, I basically can handle the DAP while working on other stuff already, and by the time I heard a few albums from N6, I can blind control the DAP while commuting already. Other than the trick to skip track by long-press the Vol. buttons, I basically can explore and get familiar with all the commands within the first day.

(7) When I saw the N6 framework, battery life was my major concern. Even when Cayin claimed to use 5600 mAh, which probably is the biggest battery you can find in a DAP, this is still a big question mark for me. When I collected the Beta Unit, battery sustainability is on the top of my check list, I won’t bored you with the details, let go straight to the toughest battery test I have put up: using Sony EX1000 as in-ear, High Gain, Volume = 80 (it is so loud that I can barely finish one song at that volume), testing music are the most demanding DSD format (3 songs in DSD64 (dff), DSD64(dsf), DSD128 (dff) looped all the way). I started at 99% battery and then play all the way till the DAP died out, the time read 6 hours 39 minutes. According to my other tests, the effect of changing IEM has minimal effect on battery life, but Gain setting, Volume level and audio format (DSD vs FLAC vs WAV) are making noticeable different. I am happy with the figures in general, and as usual, we can expect some improvement on battery life down the road when Cayin get around to optimized the DAP.

(8) Another key feature is that N6 can be charged by regular USB power bank. with my Xiamoi Powerbank (10400 mAh), I can easily cover a cross-Pacific flight from Hong Kong to LA with non-stop music from N6, something I can only dream of with my DX100 (or HM901 for the same

(9) I have been asked by audiophile friends why N6 didn’t come with a balanced connection with they used two PCM1792A. I have raised this to Cain. What happed is they can opt to use fully balanced design but fully appreciate that, you need a Headphone in balanced connection, which is uncommon for in-ear monitors. On the other hand, with Dual-Mono design, you can enjoy the benefit of two amplifier circuit with a single ended headphone, so Cayin decided to use BTL design for their first DAP instead of a fully balanced amplification. Cayin has proven track record in design and manufacturing fully balanced amplifiers, given the right timing and market norm, develop a fully balanced DAP will be a matter of natural product development with minimum technical difficulties.

(10) Last but not least, the look and feel of N6 is a mixed feeling to a lot of DAP user. The fact is numerous friends told me that N6 is a lot better than expected when can hold it on their hands. I hope Cayin will find a good photographer to do justice for N6 down the road. On the other hand, on build quality wise, N6 is definitely the best DAP I have laid my hand on so far. This is not the first Chinese DAP that used CNC aluminum as chassis, but Cayin definitely how to design and do it right, all the corner and edges are appropriately treated, the contour spots are beautifully executed, and the jog dial are recessed just at the right level to make it easy to use yet unlikely to be miss-turned accidentally when placed inside a backpack. I have raised several questions regarding the workmanship of N6, issues such as reducing the gap (to reduce internal reflection) and shielding (anti-dust) between the 2.4” IPS screen and covering plastic sheet, Cayin always come back with reasonable solution, so I am really anticipating the production version N6 even when I have the Beta Unit with me all along.

Nov 23, 2014 at 7:30 AM Post #22 of 1,977
Just add a few photo for fun.

I visited a photographer friend earlier on, and dropped the N6 into his photo booth and take a few snap with my Sony NEX, this is my first attempt with studio setup, a lot of camera setting were not right, so this is more a fun photo rather then a proper product shot.

And I have bring the N6 out with my on a family hiking trip, the low profile colour of N6 fit well on the field very well.

Nov 26, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #23 of 1,977
Thanks for the indepth impressions Andy. I would like to know tho if you tried out the Hi-Res and DSD capabilities of the player. Its not clear from your review if you used redbook, hi res or dsd files. Since I listen mostly to music in dsd and hi res, this would help a lot!

Nov 27, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #24 of 1,977
Thanks for the indepth impressions Andy. I would like to know tho if you tried out the Hi-Res and DSD capabilities of the player. Its not clear from your review if you used redbook, hi res or dsd files. Since I listen mostly to music in dsd and hi res, this would help a lot!

I have tested the N6 with various audio format, and the result are as follows:

1. Audio format played by N6 Beta successfully
  • DSD64: DFF, DSF
  • DSD128: DFF
  • WAV: 16bit/44.1kHz, 24bit/96kHz
  • FLAC: 16bit/44.1kHz, 24bit/88.2kHz, 24bit/96kHz, 24bit/192kHz
  • Flac Multichannel: 24bit/96kHz
  • ALAC: 16bit/44.1kHz, 24bit/88.1kHz
  • AIFF: 16bit/44.1kHz, 24bit/44.1kHz
  • APE: 16bit/44.1kHz, 24bit/96kHz
  • WMA: Lossless (16bit/44.1kHz), Lossy 130kbps (44.1kHz)
  • MP3: Lossy 320kbps (44.1kHz)
  • AAC: Lossy (22.05kHz)
  • OGG: Lossy 128kbps (44.1KHz)

2. Audio Format that cannot be played by N6 Beta
  • DSD64: DFF (DST) Compressed
  • DSD64 Multichannel
  • DXD

I have not tested SACD ISO file so are as Cayin has make that clear that SACD ISO will not be supported by the Beta unit, the functions will be available when N6 launch officially.

During the audio format test, I have compared DSD64, DSD128, FLAC 24/96 and FLAC 24/192 with the same song (http://www.2l.no/hires), and N6 is resolving enough to let you hear the different noticeably, so you can rest assure that N6 has delivered on Hi-Res and DSD capabilities.

Nov 27, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #25 of 1,977
Andykong, do you still have the same thoughts as to comparison between N6 and dx100 as previously? Is my understanding correct that N6 offers the same SQ but it serves it with less bass but with the same realism and airy sound?

Nov 27, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #26 of 1,977
Andykong- You the man bro! Many thanks for that comparative table of file formats. For dsd 128 you mentioned only dff, but I take it thats because you didnt have a 128 dsf file or am I wrong and cayin wont play 128 dsf? the reason I ask is all my files are dsf (64 and 128).
Cayin beginning to look worth the wait for me. Been itching to pull the trigger on ibasso dx90, but now....

Nov 27, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #27 of 1,977
Andykong- You the man bro! Many thanks for that comparative table of file formats. For dsd 128 you mentioned only dff, but I take it thats because you didnt have a 128 dsf file or am I wrong and cayin wont play 128 dsf? the reason I ask is all my files are dsf (64 and 128).
Cayin beginning to look worth the wait for me. Been itching to pull the trigger on ibasso dx90, but now....

Indeed, I don't have any DSD128 resource available, all my DSD music are DSD64 or SACD ISO only. I downloaded the DSD128 from 2L to test it out with N6, its my understanding that N6 can handle DSD128 (dsf) alright.

Cayin will demo the production version N6 on an Audio Show at China this weekend, lets see if Cayin will formally announce the price and date of N6 at the show, stay tune!

Nov 27, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #28 of 1,977
Andykong, do you still have the same thoughts as to comparison between N6 and dx100 as previously? Is my understanding correct that N6 offers the same SQ but it serves it with less bass but with the same realism and airy sound?

Yes, I still hold that opinion on DX100 vs N6 sound signature ..... for now, Thomas keep telling me how amazing the production version N6 sounds like, I almost un-friend him from QQ otherwise I won't be able to enjoy the N6 Beta. :ksc75smile:

One last note on the DX100 vs N6, DX100 has more power, so if you are dealing with a difficult headphone with low sensitivity, DX100 will probably offer a better delivery. N6 is good at control, the BTL circuit can handle high voltage swing, so 300ohm/600ohm is actually feasible if the sensitivity is high, for instance I enjoy my Senn HD540G (600ohm) with N6 even with low gain, so they both have their strength on mix and match with headphones.

Nov 28, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #30 of 1,977
Andy do you have the x5 ? How does it compare with the n6 ? What are of improvement can we look at 

Yes, I have X5, that is my causal DAP that I carried with me everyday. N6 beats X5 on sound quality hands down, I don't even need to A/B compare them, the different is indeed very obvious.

The overall control and user interface of these two DAP are on the same level, smooth, stable, easy to use, X5 has been around for 10 months so the firmware is refined with more detail, N6 is still underdevelopment so is lacking on small details, but we have yet to see the production version, IMO, the current beta version is better then the first production version of X5 already. The control wheel of X5 and Jog Dial of N6 are two of a kind, I prefer the jog dial but that can be a personal preference!

Look is subjective, but N6 has better build quality.

X5 is still excel with two TF cards which mean larger capacity and allow you to swap card while playing. X5 is also smaller and later in dimension and weight, so if you have to carry it around in you jacket, you might need to take that into consideration. As I put my DAP in a small carrying, so small margin doesn't make a lot of different to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back