Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
May 17, 2018 at 1:04 AM Post #2,416 of 4,108
Did you compared M2 and N5ii in 3.5mm only? To the best of my knowledge, ME didn't have balanced phone out.
3.5 only, i don't have 2.5

May 17, 2018 at 1:48 AM Post #2,417 of 4,108
Did you compared M2 and N5ii in 3.5mm only? To the best of my knowledge, ME didn't have balanced phone out.
Yes the M2 doesn't have balanced out. But it's single ended is mighty powerful. Where the N5ii (3.5mm)was maxed out in volume the M2 was just at 60-70. (Using the Hifiman Sundaras, keep in mind I listen quite loudly when demoing)

The M2 sounded a bit off though. Bass is not as tight as the N5ii and overall it's not as detailed and articulate as the N5ii. The soundstage sounds like my Opus 1 metal but more expansive. I'd say its slightly bigger overall compared to the N5ii but that could be just because of its warmth.

May 17, 2018 at 3:30 AM Post #2,418 of 4,108
3.5 only, i don't have 2.5

Well, please be reminded that N5ii 3.5mm rated output is 150mW per channel only, 2.5mm rated output is 250mW per channel. So you are comparing the lower output option of $369 N5ii with the the $999 AR M2.

I believe high output power is the strength of M2, I compared it with N6 previously and the M2 can outperform N6 on driving power alone. However if we are using an IEM with high sensitivity, the story might goes the other way because of background noise issue.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 17, 2018 at 3:32 AM Post #2,419 of 4,108
Well, please be reminded that N5ii 3.5mm rated output is 150mW per channel only, 2.5mm rated output is 250mW per channel. So you are comparing the lower output option of $369 N5ii with the the $999 AR M2.

I believe high output power is the strength of M2, I compared it with N6 previously and the M2 can outperform N6 on driving power alone. However if we are using an IEM with high sensitivity, the story might goes the other way because of background noise issue.
i noticed it too, on noble audio sage, it picks up the static booting sound of components in the m2, none on the n5mk2

May 17, 2018 at 6:19 AM Post #2,420 of 4,108
Spotify on N5ii should be fairly stable and smooth. Are you using a private WiFI connection or a shared WiFi resources of housing estate? is it possible to test the Spotify again when the N5ii has a direct line of sight to the router and there isn't any 2.4GHz appliance between N5ii and the router? I know this sound a bit complicated and not necessarily practical in long run, but I suggest you do this once at least so that we can rule out other possibilities.

By the way, FIBAE 2 is a good match with N5ii, I have listened to both FIBAE2 and FIBAE3 at CanJam Singapore, Piotr was very pleased with the N5ii + FIBAE synergy too. :beerchug:

I finished the downloading tonight with N5II 30 cm away from the router, better !

Glad to know that this combo rocks ! :)

By the way, would it be possible to apply the sound modifications of the player onto Spotify music (or other 3rd party app) ?

May 17, 2018 at 6:28 AM Post #2,421 of 4,108
I finished the downloading tonight with N5II 30 cm away from the router, better !

Glad to know that this combo rocks ! :)

By the way, would it be possible to apply the sound modifications of the player onto Spotify music (or other 3rd party app) ?
If you mean EQ, then it doesn't work by default as the N5ii doesn't have an EQ built into its android OS. You'll have to download a 3rd party app to use it.

May 17, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #2,422 of 4,108
My Cayin N5ii Review

I am fairly new to the DAP scene and my first player that I still occasionally use is the Cayin N3. Such a versatile little critter, I fell in love with it the moment I used it the first time. Loads of connectivity options and substantial upgrade from using my iPhone as a transport. Later I felt a need for having an Android based DAC and moved to the Fiio X7mk2. However the little Cayin made a strong impression on me. So when Andy Kong announced and called for participation in a review tour for the N5ii, I was all game to try the big brother out, especially having heard good things about the Cayin i5.

So to cut short, I got a berth on the review tour Asia leg and the Cayin N5ii Unit came in my possession as a loaner, free of cost and on returnable basis. The unit has since then been shipped to Malaysia to the next reviewer. Cayin also made it quite clear at the outset that the reviewer is free to express his/her true impression without any compulsions.

Here I would like to specify that though I have informally reviewed shared impressions within threads, this is my first official review tour and I am not a technical reviewer. These are my personal impressions as an user of the DAP and may vary from what others may feel about it. So please take these facts under consideration before reading ahead.

The DAP was handed over to me in very neatly packed box, very slim and nicely laid out. It came with an extra leather cover and a proprietary USB type C to coaxial interconnect. The leather cover looks quite nice with a texture and red accents. Both the leather cover and the interconnect went for ward to the next person unopened as I preferred the ergonomic, strong silicone cover and I have my own Cayin interconnect from the N3. Looks apart the only drawback I saw for both the covers was the lack of access to the memory cards, once the covers are on. One could look at it as a protective measure, for me it was inconvenient.
upload_2018-5-17_21-1-26.jpeg

upload_2018-5-17_21-2-34.jpeg

The DAP itself is very smart looking and somehow very right sized , it’s not tiny like the N3 or handful like the X7mk2. The buttons are perfectly placed for a single handed operation. I liked the sharp angular look with the nicely positioned and easy to use volume wheel. The build quality is way above the slightly crude and plasticky feel of the N3 and feels premium. The software interface was something I had to get used to, however once you get a hang of it, it’s pretty easy and well laid out for use. It hardly takes time to figure out.It has 2 memory slots and it read my 256gb card very fast in less than half the time the same card takes on the N3. The Hiby interface is very straightforward and makes it easy to navigate through options and settings. This is very different from the pure android interface of the x7mk2. Although I found it difficult to figure out how to install and access 3rd party apps, which is pretty easy on a pure Android interface. It’s a big step forward from the N3 however, which is cumbersome to use. So personally, I liked the internal music GUI for the N5ii while I prefer the accessibility and ease of use for 3rd party and streaming apps on the x7mk2.

I listened to the N5ii primarily using my Kaiser Encore with Effect Audio Lionheart balanced cable with and without the Eidolic hypershort 2.5mm trrs To 3.5mm trs adapter. I also connected it to the Chord Mojo using the proprietary Cayin type C to coaxial digital interconnect and with the Aune B1 and Cayins own iHA-6 desktop amp through the analog line out from the 3.5mm multitasking port. I also listened to it using the Audeze EL8 Ti closed back headphones.
upload_2018-5-17_21-5-13.jpeg

I mentioned before I liked the Cayin N3 quite a lot, the connectivity options and the tonality for its price. It’s a very quiet player with a warmish, slightly smoothened tonality, which I wouldn’t call soft. It’s subject to selection of digital filters and gain though. I had always assumed that it was tonality of the AKM chip. When I moved to the x7mk2, I quickly got used to the more analytical crystal clear tonality of the Sabre chip. I also have the Sabre 9018 based Burson Play DAC Amp. So when I read about the Sabre 9018k2m chip in the N5ii, I was expecting a neutral to bright analytical signature from the DAP. I was surprised when I first listened to it, so much that I immediately disliked it. I was expecting something else and was in fact being unfair to the N5ii.

The tonality of the N5ii is more in line with the N3 than an ESS Sabre based player. I cannot exactly fathom what Cayin has done to achieve this. However thats where the similarity ends with the little sibling player. There is a significant jump in the clarity across spectrum, the soundstage is wider. The Low-end weight and extension is better too, only that the N3 articulates a tiny bit better in that area according to me. There is definitely more power than the tiny N3 which struggles with my Audeze EL8 Ti. The N5ii handled the planars with quite some ease. The N5ii is quieter as well and has a blacker background which is evident on a sensitive Kaiser Encore. The best feature and most significant upgrade over the N3 is the balanced output on the N5ii. The balanced out put is more powerful than the SE and sounds a bit clearer and wider than the SE, while maintaining the same tonality. All said its a worthy and a natural upgrade from the Cayin N3 according to me and those of you who have the N3 and love the tonality will be extremely pleased by this DAP. It retails for approximately 27000 INR and that is quite a decent price for the sweet offering this DAP is.

That said there are some things about the tonality personally I did not quite take to especially coming from the X7mk2 and since I kind of was expecting a sabre like tonality. In order to achieve a Cayin signature sound, they have smoothened the highs above I think 2K-3k region. So upper mids still retain some sharpness but that smoothens out above that. They have smoothened the mids to lows bandwidth. Mids are the most evident feature of the tonality and feel like they are enveloping the whole soundstage. There’s a bump in upper bass lower mids and a smoothened roll off in lows. Vocals are the only element closest to natural in the entire tonality. But they lack the sparkle, for instance the natural sibilance of the female voice is smoothened out. Over that I think the software of the player or android is applying some filters which is adding extra warmth to the whole thing. When I switched to the Audio Priority mode that cuts off some of the functionality of the OS, the sound quality takes a slight, albeit distinct jump towards neutral . Unfortunately the player loses some of its features like wireless connectivity and streaming capability this mode. It was in the Audio Priority mode that I actually started noticing the finer aspects of the overall sound signature of this DAP. The low end especially the upper bass has good articulation which is masked by that smoothened signature and is evident with a leaning towards bright driver like the Kaiser Encore. There are 2 digital filters in the setting as well, the Fast Roll Off makes the sound relatively thinner but the mids sound more natural on the Slow Roll Off. Even in the gain setting I preferred the mid setting to the other two. I wish the highs were a bit better managed though and retained the natural tonality of the Sabre chip. In a nutshell, I feel someone who is used to the ESS Sabre tonality should listen to the N5ii before taking a call. Who knows maybe you will like the extra smooth and silky soft Cayin N5ii.

In terms of using as a part of an audio chain, the N5ii retains the ease of connection like the N3. it was a breeze connecting it to the Chord Mojo through the proprietary Cayin Type C to 3.5mm coaxial cable and makes an excellent transport for the Mojo. The Mojo sounds much wider and clearer. it extends quite a lot in either direction and has a much better tonality. however in India it is also almost twice the cost of the N5ii.

I used the analog line out to connect it to the Aune B1 and felt it was the best pairing amongst my gear with the N5ii. The B1 is not a neutral amp and has a slightly warm tube like tone with loads of Class A heft. I think that B1 brought out the details and expanded the sound stage while retaining that warm tonality of the Player. The pairing also sounded more natural than the DAP alone. I have a hunch the N5ii will do better when matched with Cayins own C5 amp.

I also connected the N5ii to the SE dual RCA input of the Cayin iHA-6 desktop amplifier. The iHA-6 is an extremely transparent Amp, in fact I personally haven’t heard anything more transparent. It instantly reveals the true character of the source. Listening to the combo through the Balanced out of the iHA-6 on my Kaiser Encore and Audeze EL-8, I felt the tonality to be thicker and warmer than what I heard directly on the N5ii. It was a bit slower in the transients too. So I connected the Kaiser to the 3.5mm SE outlet of the N5ii and found selecting LO in the menu, does sound thicker and warmer. Something that could be my imagination and was not so evident on the Aune B1.

To conclude the Cayin N5ii is a quite well built and designed DAP, that is easy to use and carry. its versatile when it comes to connectivity and features. Those coming from Cayin’s earlier players will love its ability to handle 3rd party Apps well. There is a significant jump in the sound quality as compared to the N3, In short the N5ii does everything better while looking extremely good and justifies the 100% jump in price over the N3.

Comparing to the Fiio X7mk2 will be unjustified because the Fiio DAP is almost twice the cost of the N5ii in the Indian market. However I do like the tonality of the Fiio which feels better in every way and sounds more natural especially with the amazing AM3 module of the first generation. I believe theres scope for improvement over N5ii and having used multiple products from them I will always expect Cayin to come out with something thats amazing. I after all am quite impressed with the iHA-6. The N8 has been announced a couple of days ago and looks fantastic on paper too.

May 17, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #2,423 of 4,108
My Cayin N5ii Review

I am fairly new to the DAP scene and my first player that I still occasionally use is the Cayin N3. Such a versatile little critter, I fell in love with it the moment I used it the first time. Loads of connectivity options and substantial upgrade from using my iPhone as a transport. Later I felt a need for having an Android based DAC and moved to the Fiio X7mk2. However the little Cayin made a strong impression on me. So when Andy Kong announced and called for participation in a review tour for the N5ii, I was all game to try the big brother out, especially having heard good things about the Cayin i5.

So to cut short, I got a berth on the review tour Asia leg and the Cayin N5ii Unit came in my possession as a loaner, free of cost and on returnable basis. The unit has since then been shipped to Malaysia to the next reviewer. Cayin also made it quite clear at the outset that the reviewer is free to express his/her true impression without any compulsions.

Here I would like to specify that though I have informally reviewed shared impressions within threads, this is my first official review tour and I am not a technical reviewer. These are my personal impressions as an user of the DAP and may vary from what others may feel about it. So please take these facts under consideration before reading ahead.

The DAP was handed over to me in very neatly packed box, very slim and nicely laid out. It came with an extra leather cover and a proprietary USB type C to coaxial interconnect. The leather cover looks quite nice with a texture and red accents. Both the leather cover and the interconnect went for ward to the next person unopened as I preferred the ergonomic, strong silicone cover and I have my own Cayin interconnect from the N3. Looks apart the only drawback I saw for both the covers was the lack of access to the memory cards, once the covers are on. One could look at it as a protective measure, for me it was inconvenient.

The DAP itself is very smart looking and somehow very right sized , it’s not tiny like the N3 or handful like the X7mk2. The buttons are perfectly placed for a single handed operation. I liked the sharp angular look with the nicely positioned and easy to use volume wheel. The build quality is way above the slightly crude and plasticky feel of the N3 and feels premium. The software interface was something I had to get used to, however once you get a hang of it, it’s pretty easy and well laid out for use. It hardly takes time to figure out.It has 2 memory slots and it read my 256gb card very fast in less than half the time the same card takes on the N3. The Hiby interface is very straightforward and makes it easy to navigate through options and settings. This is very different from the pure android interface of the x7mk2. Although I found it difficult to figure out how to install and access 3rd party apps, which is pretty easy on a pure Android interface. It’s a big step forward from the N3 however, which is cumbersome to use. So personally, I liked the internal music GUI for the N5ii while I prefer the accessibility and ease of use for 3rd party and streaming apps on the x7mk2.

I listened to the N5ii primarily using my Kaiser Encore with Effect Audio Lionheart balanced cable with and without the Eidolic hypershort 2.5mm trrs To 3.5mm trs adapter. I also connected it to the Chord Mojo using the proprietary Cayin type C to coaxial digital interconnect and with the Aune B1 and Cayins own iHA-6 desktop amp through the analog line out from the 3.5mm multitasking port. I also listened to it using the Audeze EL8 Ti closed back headphones.

I mentioned before I liked the Cayin N3 quite a lot, the connectivity options and the tonality for its price. It’s a very quiet player with a warmish, slightly smoothened tonality, which I wouldn’t call soft. It’s subject to selection of digital filters and gain though. I had always assumed that it was tonality of the AKM chip. When I moved to the x7mk2, I quickly got used to the more analytical crystal clear tonality of the Sabre chip. I also have the Sabre 9018 based Burson Play DAC Amp. So when I read about the Sabre 9018k2m chip in the N5ii, I was expecting a neutral to bright analytical signature from the DAP. I was surprised when I first listened to it, so much that I immediately disliked it. I was expecting something else and was in fact being unfair to the N5ii.

The tonality of the N5ii is more in line with the N3 than an ESS Sabre based player. I cannot exactly fathom what Cayin has done to achieve this. However thats where the similarity ends with the little sibling player. There is a significant jump in the clarity across spectrum, the soundstage is wider. The Low-end weight and extension is better too, only that the N3 articulates a tiny bit better in that area according to me. There is definitely more power than the tiny N3 which struggles with my Audeze EL8 Ti. The N5ii handled the planars with quite some ease. The N5ii is quieter as well and has a blacker background which is evident on a sensitive Kaiser Encore. The best feature and most significant upgrade over the N3 is the balanced output on the N5ii. The balanced out put is more powerful than the SE and sounds a bit clearer and wider than the SE, while maintaining the same tonality. All said its a worthy and a natural upgrade from the Cayin N3 according to me and those of you who have the N3 and love the tonality will be extremely pleased by this DAP. It retails for approximately 27000 INR and that is quite a decent price for the sweet offering this DAP is.

That said there are some things about the tonality personally I did not quite take to especially coming from the X7mk2 and since I kind of was expecting a sabre like tonality. In order to achieve a Cayin signature sound, they have smoothened the highs above I think 2K-3k region. So upper mids still retain some sharpness but that smoothens out above that. They have smoothened the mids to lows bandwidth. Mids are the most evident feature of the tonality and feel like they are enveloping the whole soundstage. There’s a bump in upper bass lower mids and a smoothened roll off in lows. Vocals are the only element closest to natural in the entire tonality. But they lack the sparkle, for instance the natural sibilance of the female voice is smoothened out. Over that I think the software of the player or android is applying some filters which is adding extra warmth to the whole thing. When I switched to the Audio Priority mode that cuts off some of the functionality of the OS, the sound quality takes a slight, albeit distinct jump towards neutral . Unfortunately the player loses some of its features like wireless connectivity and streaming capability this mode. It was in the Audio Priority mode that I actually started noticing the finer aspects of the overall sound signature of this DAP. The low end especially the upper bass has good articulation which is masked by that smoothened signature and is evident with a leaning towards bright driver like the Kaiser Encore. There are 2 digital filters in the setting as well, the Fast Roll Off makes the sound relatively thinner but the mids sound more natural on the Slow Roll Off. Even in the gain setting I preferred the mid setting to the other two. I wish the highs were a bit better managed though and retained the natural tonality of the Sabre chip. In a nutshell, I feel someone who is used to the ESS Sabre tonality should listen to the N5ii before taking a call. Who knows maybe you will like the extra smooth and silky soft Cayin N5ii.

In terms of using as a part of an audio chain, the N5ii retains the ease of connection like the N3. it was a breeze connecting it to the Chord Mojo through the proprietary Cayin Type C to 3.5mm coaxial cable and makes an excellent transport for the Mojo. The Mojo sounds much wider and clearer. it extends quite a lot in either direction and has a much better tonality. however in India it is also almost twice the cost of the N5ii.

I used the analog line out to connect it to the Aune B1 and felt it was the best pairing amongst my gear with the N5ii. The B1 is not a neutral amp and has a slightly warm tube like tone with loads of Class A heft. I think that B1 brought out the details and expanded the sound stage while retaining that warm tonality of the Player. The pairing also sounded more natural than the DAP alone. I have a hunch the N5ii will do better when matched with Cayins own C5 amp.

I also connected the N5ii to the SE dual RCA input of the Cayin iHA-6 desktop amplifier. The iHA-6 is an extremely transparent Amp, in fact I personally haven’t heard anything more transparent. It instantly reveals the true character of the source. Listening to the combo through the Balanced out of the iHA-6 on my Kaiser Encore and Audeze EL-8, I felt the tonality to be thicker and warmer than what I heard directly on the N5ii. It was a bit slower in the transients too. So I connected the Kaiser to the 3.5mm SE outlet of the N5ii and found selecting LO in the menu, does sound thicker and warmer. Something that could be my imagination and was not so evident on the Aune B1.

To conclude the Cayin N5ii is a quite well built and designed DAP, that is easy to use and carry. its versatile when it comes to connectivity and features. Those coming from Cayin’s earlier players will love its ability to handle 3rd party Apps well. There is a significant jump in the sound quality as compared to the N3, In short the N5ii does everything better while looking extremely good and justifies the 100% jump in price over the N3.

Comparing to the Fiio X7mk2 will be unjustified because the Fiio DAP is almost twice the cost of the N5ii in the Indian market. However I do like the tonality of the Fiio which feels better in every way and sounds more natural especially with the amazing AM3 module of the first generation. I believe theres scope for improvement over N5ii and having used multiple products from them I will always expect Cayin to come out with something thats amazing. I after all am quite impressed with the iHA-6. The N8 has been announced a couple of days ago and looks fantastic on paper too.
Great writeup. Well you seem to be quite a lover of the sabre sound :wink:

While I agree 100% with your comparison to the X7ii, I disagree with the comparisons to the Mojo. I found the Mojo to have a more rounded and warm sound.

I have not done extensive testing on audio priority on vs off but for most purposes I don't hear a difference. Same goes for gain levels. I prefer slow roll off for better attacks and decays.

Personally I found the B1s (not B1) to pair much better with the N5ii than cayin's own C5.

I'd LOVE to see your impressions on the Hidizs AP200. That also uses dual sabre chips but was EXCESSIVELY smoothed imo.

May 17, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #2,424 of 4,108
Great writeup. Well you seem to be quite a lover of the sabre sound :wink:

While I agree 100% with your comparison to the X7ii, I disagree with the comparisons to the Mojo. I found the Mojo to have a more rounded and warm sound.

I have not done extensive testing on audio priority on vs off but for most purposes I don't hear a difference. Same goes for gain levels. I prefer slow roll off for better attacks and decays.

Personally I found the B1s (not B1) to pair much better with the N5ii than cayin's own C5.

I'd LOVE to see your impressions on the Hidizs AP200. That also uses dual sabre chips but was EXCESSIVELY smoothed imo.

Thanks for reading

Though I own the Mojo I don’t quite like its tonality, after moving to the Sabre based set ups I am using it sporadically. Guess I like the Sabre tonality. Didn’t really think about it that way. I feel the Mojo overall is a better package sonically. If by saying “more rounded” you are meaning smoothened, I felt the N5ii sounds more that way. I diont have access to the C5 or the AP200 that would be fun to compare actually.

May 17, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #2,426 of 4,108
Thanks for reading

Though I own the Mojo I don’t quite like its tonality, after moving to the Sabre based set ups I am using it sporadically. Guess I like the Sabre tonality. Didn’t really think about it that way. I feel the Mojo overall is a better package sonically. If by saying “more rounded” you are meaning smoothened, I felt the N5ii sounds more that way. I diont have access to the C5 or the AP200 that would be fun to compare actually.
More rounded as in less articulate sounding.

May 17, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #2,428 of 4,108
May 17, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #2,429 of 4,108
Does anyone know if there is anyway to control the N5II via my iphone like the N3?

I'm looking to get a DAP to use as a transport for a Mojo/Hugo2 and would like to get the N5II for if I ever wanted to go for DAP only, but the HiBY Link capability is exactly what I want so that I can leave my DAP/Chord bundle in my bag and control everything from my iPhone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back