Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Apr 26, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #2,296 of 4,108
I use my N5ii with AKG K701 modded.
I like the sound, soundstage, details...
Only missing one thing: the breath in the voice! There is something in the midle range that I miss...
I don't know if is a limit of the DAP, my headphones or the combination of two.
So a question: can a dedicated amp improve the sound quality?
The guy that modded my K701 suggested me the Schiit Magni 3. Someone know this amp? What could be a better choice under 200€?
Or is a better choice change my headphones?

Apr 26, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #2,297 of 4,108
Only missing one thing: the breath in the voice! There is something in the midle range that I miss...
The guy that modded my K701 suggested me the Schiit Magni 3. Someone know this amp? What could be a better choice under 200€?

I've been impressed with the ifi Nano Black

Apr 26, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #2,298 of 4,108
I had the Magni/Modi combo and I loved it. However, I'm more inclined to think that you should look at a different headphone. If you have a store that sells headphones in your area I strongly suggest you take your N5ii with and roll a few cans.

Apr 26, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #2,300 of 4,108
Let's hope Hiby listen to Cayin, when working on Cayin DAP firmware...
As of the newest beta, Cayin seems to have completely killed the freezing bug.

So far Andy has always referred to a "senior technician" rather than Hiby so I think Cayin is at least capable of patching or optimising the N5ii firmware without HiBy's help.

Apr 26, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #2,301 of 4,108
As of the newest beta, Cayin seems to have completely killed the freezing bug.

So far Andy has always referred to a "senior technician" rather than Hiby so I think Cayin is at least capable of patching or optimising the N5ii firmware without HiBy's help.
Yep, luckily Cayin has substantial internal competence, however, since I'm sure HiBy gets paid a pretty penny, they (HiBy) should have made sure that most of the bugs had been ironed out before releasing the product, instead of relying on the good will and competence of their client.

Apr 26, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #2,302 of 4,108
Or try a better cable.

Apr 27, 2018 at 3:04 AM Post #2,303 of 4,108
Dear all,

We have received several feedback that some customers use 2.5mm to 3.5mm converter in N5ii for their headphones recently, causing N5ii damage. Please DON’T use in 2.5mm to 3.5mm converter in N5ii anymore. Because by using this adapter, you are MERGING two independent ground to one connection, this is risky because the two ground are not necessarily the same level, and this might create impulsive signal and damage your headphone at exreme situation. In short, this adapter will force L- and R- of balance output to be short-circuited. However, you can do it the other way around. ( 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter is totally ok with our N5ii)

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 27, 2018 at 3:23 AM Post #2,304 of 4,108
Dear all,

We have received several feedback that some customers use 2.5mm to 3.5mm converter in N5ii for their headphones recently, causing N5ii damage. Please DON’T use in 2.5mm to 3.5mm converter in N5ii anymore. Because by using this adapter, you are MERGING two independent ground to one connection, this is risky because the two ground are not necessarily the same level, and this might create impulsive signal and damage your headphone at exreme situation. In short, this adapter will force L- and R- of balance output to be short-circuited. However, you can do it the other way around. ( 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter is totally ok with our N5ii)
I was going to do so initially but I PMed Andy and he confirmed that it wouldn't work and could damage the balanced amp section because L-negative and R-negative have different signals.

The only thing I know that can support that is the iFi xDSD

S-Balanced Optimised for Balanced IEMs

Our exclusive S-Balanced technology extracts the maximum performance from single-ended and balanced headphones alike:
With TRRS, the benefit is full dual-mono with grounds separated all the way to amplifiers. Just like audiophile hi-fi systems.
With TRS, you lose the full separation of the grounds, however, by having two contacts on the ground crosstalk is reduced by 50% over a standard single contact socket.

With S-Balanced, a dedicated negative wire per channel all the way to the star-ground of each channel’s amplifier to ensure there is no crosstalk between the channels.

Plugging in unbalanced headphones with a TRS connector instead of TRRS will cause zero issues and, in fact, there is only upside as crosstalk is cut by 50%, compared to using a TRS socket.

All the benefits of balanced, with none of the drawbacks.
Maybe cayin can do some research on this :wink:

Apr 27, 2018 at 4:05 AM Post #2,305 of 4,108
Dear all,

I assume 2.5mm TRRS to 4-pole XLR should pose no problem, am I correct?

Apr 27, 2018 at 5:14 AM Post #2,306 of 4,108

I have the K702 Anniversary. I didn't find that it paired that well with the N5ii, even on hi gain it was lacking something. I think the AKG's are probably a little too power hungry. I own the original Magni and it works pretty well with them so the Magni 3 should be pretty good

Apr 27, 2018 at 6:44 AM Post #2,307 of 4,108
Apr 27, 2018 at 7:32 AM Post #2,308 of 4,108
Apr 27, 2018 at 7:38 AM Post #2,309 of 4,108
IMG_20180427_193018.jpg

Hehehe

Apr 27, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #2,310 of 4,108
Nice to see Advancedmp3players email their N5ii customers to reiterate Cayins warning about 3.5 to 2.5 thing.

Also about AMP3, I had to return my N5ii because of what looked to be ink leakagr in the bottom left corner of the screen.
They sent me a return label and are sending me out a new device ASAP. No hassles, just sorted the issue straight away..

Cheers AMP3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back