Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Jan 21, 2018 at 7:26 PM Post #1,066 of 4,108
I have album art embedded in each flac file and it is usually working OK. I use JPEG imagines of 500x500 pixels or less.

I have noticed that in album view the album cover picks the image associated with file name prefixed with 01 (had to re-tag as sort will be 1, 10, 11, 2, 3 etc if >9 tracks) however, in folder view it seems to pick a random image to apply as the album cover which is weird.

While we are on the topic, I got my first colour inversion error today (orange appears as blue). I know this has been mentioned previously but not sure whether there has been any comments on cause/fix?
DSC_0034.JPG

Jan 21, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #1,067 of 4,108
Had the N5II for a few days now and think it's fantastic. Well done Cayin!

However I'm struggling to get album art working either as embedded or jpeg saved in album folder. I used Album Art Downloader to retrieve the images.

Am I missing something, can anyone help?

At first all my embedded album art was replaced by the stock Cayin sampler art - "The Rose in your Life" After some exploring, I found the Settings<Music Settings<Album Art< On / Off toggle.
I use either dbPoweramp to embed artwork while ripping or add it in foobar2000. My habit from "the old days" is to keep the jpeg file size to 500 x 500. (My old FiiO player required this size resolution to work properly)

Jan 21, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #1,068 of 4,108
(sorry for my english first)
Hello andy.
I've just buy the N5ii player. The sound is great.
But one problem is giving me a bad experience. When the player is on "sleep" mode and i activate it when i press play to read the song, the player freeze and i have a no sound. Just a window with a message " The smartplayer not respond".
My player is in 2.1 EN firmware.

To get your problem resolved quickly, please kindly help me collect some information:
When did it happen? when play the music from SD cards or from third-party apps or local storage?If it is SD card, what is the format of your SD card?If it is from third-party APP, what is the name of that APP? Besides, what is format of the music you play? Does it happen occasionally or always?

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 21, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #1,069 of 4,108
Had the N5II for a few days now and think it's fantastic. Well done Cayin!

However I'm struggling to get album art working either as embedded or jpeg saved in album folder. I used Album Art Downloader to retrieve the images.

Am I missing something, can anyone help?

Download the Album Art you want and change it name to cover.jpg then put this cover.jpg file in the Album folder. It will work.

Jan 21, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #1,070 of 4,108
So i should put it on PO when listening to my headphones? The volume wheel didnt change the volume when i had it on that one though. Tha ks for your response.

Hi griff06, It happens randomly or always? Can a restart resolve this problem? Truth be told, I haven't received similar feedback before and I just tested it, it turned out work.

Jan 21, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #1,071 of 4,108
While we are on the topic, I got my first colour inversion error today (orange appears as blue). I know this has been mentioned previously but not sure whether there has been any comments on cause/fix?

This is a known bug, sorry for the inconvenience caused! We will fix it in the subsequent firmware.

Jan 22, 2018 at 12:27 AM Post #1,073 of 4,108
This is a known bug, sorry for the inconvenience caused! We will fix it in the subsequent firmware.
Thanks for the response, this doesn't appear to be a major issue as it seems to revert back after pressing the power button (full reset not required).

Another minor bug that I suspect impacts a very small user base (and at the risk of being shouted down for OCD) - in Artist view the album art shows the image embedded in the final track, it should show the image embedded in the first.

For example -
Track 1 File Name - "01 Watch That Man" has embedded image aaa
Track 10 File Name - "10 Lady Grinning Soul" has embedded image zzz
In Artist View, the album shows image zzz instead of aaa

Sorry for being pedantic. I know most people couldn't care less about artwork...

Loving the sound of this player by the way :)

Jan 22, 2018 at 1:13 AM Post #1,074 of 4,108
Hi griff06, It happens randomly or always? Can a restart resolve this problem? Truth be told, I haven't received similar feedback before and I just tested it, it turned out work.
Ah didnt realise it was a bug.
The player was set to LO when i brought it so i just pluggged in the headphones and listened. Then whilst listening to music i switched to PO and the volume went lower but i could not change the volume whilst in PO. I switched back to LO and the volume went up again and volume wheel worked again. I did this 3 times and it was the same every time.
Am i meant to listen to headphones through PO? If yes, then i have a bug

Jan 22, 2018 at 1:42 AM Post #1,075 of 4,108
So, I've been enjoying the N5ii a lot. I noticed a *possible* bug this afternoon: when an album is finished playing the final track (selected from the ALBUM tab) the next album in the alphabet will automatically start! For example, listened to "Are You Experienced?" to the end and then "Artistry" (following album) starts immediately after. This doesn't happen in ARTIST tab or from the FOLDER from the TF card. MUSIC SETTINGS<PLAY THROUGH FOLDERS is switched off (toggle to the left.) Very surprised when this first happened as I was not expecting more music!

Hi, you have to turn on "play through folder" to enable that function you referred above from FOLDER from the TF card. For album,artist and genre, it is a feature coming with song, which is scanned by N5ii, so it is not controlled by the rule "play through folder". The play mode like Order, Shuffle, Single repetition, All cycle only function in the playlist below. But when from ALBUM tag, under order mode, N5ii finishs playing the last song in an ablum like All my tomorrows below,it will jump to the first song like My heart will go on in next ablum which does not locate in the playlist. It is indeed a problem. And we are testing it now then will fix it in the next firmware. Thank you for your information!
upload_2018-1-22_14-27-13.png

D:\我的文档\Tencent Files\651807524\Image\C2C\]X1MK)]]_GM@X4Y`}VX95[X.jpg

D:\我的文档\Tencent Files\651807524\Image\C2C\]X1MK)]]_GM@X4Y`}VX95[X.jpg

Jan 22, 2018 at 1:50 AM Post #1,076 of 4,108
Something catastrophic just happened. I went walking with the player in my pocket using a balanced cable with my lyra 2. I took the player out of my pocket to change album and then the cable felt loose. Then I noticed the plastic part inside the balanced port, where the 2.5 termination of the cable fits, was gone. It happened without any rough movement and no fall whatsoever. I couldn’t find the little piece inside my pocket nor on the floor. After this, the line out power has dropped and the output switches to a low-level line out volume every time I change album (using the 3.5 non-balanced port)

So, I guess I will have to send my Cayin N5ii back to the US at a high cost, just like I had to do with the campfire polaris.

OK, its time I added this in here.
I've been debating if I should say something or not....I believe transparency is the best option for everyone since we are all working together in this thread.

My first purchase of the N5II ended up being returned due to the 3.5mm headphone jack coming completely disconnected from the circuit board (of the 6 contact points on the 3.5mm female jack, 5 had the copper trace pulled off from the broad and the one single contact had just separated from the copper trace) . How do I know this? I took the rear cover off to see exactly WTH happened. I had plugged my headphones in with a 1/4 to 3.5mm adapter but made sure I was extremely careful as to not have any play. I listened to the player for a while, great player BTW, and then placed it on the couch and left for a few hours. When I came back, I picked it up and immediately noticed play on the 3.5mm jack. The sound was intermittent. I was puzzled. I asked my wife who was sitting next to it if she had accidentally sat on the player....she said absolutely not. I said, ARE YOU SURE! She said YES....I'M SURE! Ok....I believe you. (LOL). I asked, did the puppy accidentally sit on the couch, on the player? She said no....I said ARE YOU SURE? She replied....YES I'M SURE!!!! She would be honest with me about this.

So, I ordered another and have been using it with no issues now for over a week. I'm hoping that whatever was the cause, will not be repeated.

I hope this is in no way taken other than constructive and informative. Just need to be transparent about this.

Its a great DAP no doubt.

At this point....I'm not making any judgments as to what may have happened. I cannot verify one way or another.

Cheers

Spiro

Sorry for the trouble caused! You could kindly contact your retailers to do the replacement. I will give both of your kind feedback to our senior engineers and factory then take effective measures on the following products.

Last edited:

Jan 22, 2018 at 1:55 AM Post #1,077 of 4,108
GOTOMA8

that is correct

tip is R-
next is R+
next L+
then last is L-

Just wired my HD650's with this connector and everything works perfectly.

https://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-25mm-4c-right-angle-plug-with-12-cable--090-504

read this

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/must-have-2-5mm-trrs-connector-cable.870222/

Cheers

Spiro
Yes,
same as the Astell and Kern player.

Here a useful guide for the most common connectors
http://www.diyaudioblog.com/2016/02/headphone-connectors-pins-pinouts-for.html

Never fear to share your experience. If it's honest, it's right, and should be made public. Hope the new unit serves you well for a long time.

It is the same pin-out everyone uses for 2.5 BALANCED.

Thank you for all your timely replies and help!

Last edited:

Jan 22, 2018 at 2:27 AM Post #1,078 of 4,108
Andy or Cayin Support,

I am making my own balanced 2.5mm cable for my HD800 and EL-8, my question for you is what is the wiring for the Cayin 5nii 2.5 balance output? Is it, starting from the tip of the connect, R-, R+, L+ and L-?

Thanks in advance?

Yes,you can also check it in the sales guide of our official website: http://en.cayin.cn/products_info?itemid=111
upload_2018-1-22_15-24-7.png

Jan 22, 2018 at 2:44 AM Post #1,079 of 4,108
To get your problem resolved quickly, please kindly help me collect some information:
When did it happen? when play the music from SD cards or from third-party apps or local storage?If it is SD card, what is the format of your SD card?If it is from third-party APP, what is the name of that APP? Besides, what is format of the music you play? Does it happen occasionally or always?
Hi,
It happen only when i leave sleep mode (when i press the button to turn the screen on and change song). My songs are in a SD card Toshiba class 10 - 128gb (perfectly works with my Cayin N3). It's not with a third app. The song are in flac format but it's happen a lot with dsf format.
If you need more information or screen, tell me.
Thanks for the reply.

Jan 22, 2018 at 2:45 AM Post #1,080 of 4,108
Ah didnt realise it was a bug.
The player was set to LO when i brought it so i just pluggged in the headphones and listened. Then whilst listening to music i switched to PO and the volume went lower but i could not change the volume whilst in PO. I switched back to LO and the volume went up again and volume wheel worked again. I did this 3 times and it was the same every time.
Am i meant to listen to headphones through PO? If yes, then i have a bug

Hi, you plug the headphone to 3.5mm port or 2.5mm port? I guess you may plug into 3.5mm port and your description may be inverse. :grin: As the below picture illlustrates, N5ii ONLY shared line out with 3.5mm port, so its volume can be changed even you select LO with headphone plugging in 2.5mm balance port. Only 3.5mm port has PO and LO two modes. And under LO mode of 3.5mm port, the volume CANNOT be changed and will went lower for it has 10kΩ impendance matched. And this feature is suggested to apply to desktop audio equipment. If you switch to PO mode of 3.5mm port, you should can change the volume.
upload_2018-1-22_15-29-19.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back