Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Jan 19, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #1,053 of 4,108
Andy or Cayin Support,

I am making my own balanced 2.5mm cable for my HD800 and EL-8, my question for you is what is the wiring for the Cayin 5nii 2.5 balance output? Is it, starting from the tip of the connect, R-, R+, L+ and L-?

Thanks in advance?

Yes,
same as the Astell and Kern player.

2_5mm TRRS pinout.jpg

Here a useful guide for the most common connectors
http://www.diyaudioblog.com/2016/02/headphone-connectors-pins-pinouts-for.html

Jan 20, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #1,054 of 4,108
OK, its time I added this in here.
I've been debating if I should say something or not....I believe transparency is the best option for everyone since we are all working together in this thread.

My first purchase of the N5II ended up being returned due to the 3.5mm headphone jack coming completely disconnected from the circuit board (of the 6 contact points on the 3.5mm female jack, 5 had the copper trace pulled off from the broad and the one single contact had just separated from the copper trace) . How do I know this? I took the rear cover off to see exactly WTH happened. I had plugged my headphones in with a 1/4 to 3.5mm adapter but made sure I was extremely careful as to not have any play. I listened to the player for a while, great player BTW, and then placed it on the couch and left for a few hours. When I came back, I picked it up and immediately noticed play on the 3.5mm jack. The sound was intermittent. I was puzzled. I asked my wife who was sitting next to it if she had accidentally sat on the player....she said absolutely not. I said, ARE YOU SURE! She said YES....I'M SURE! Ok....I believe you. (LOL). I asked, did the puppy accidentally sit on the couch, on the player? She said no....I said ARE YOU SURE? She replied....YES I'M SURE!!!! She would be honest with me about this.

So, I ordered another and have been using it with no issues now for over a week. I'm hoping that whatever was the cause, will not be repeated.

I hope this is in no way taken other than constructive and informative. Just need to be transparent about this.

Its a great DAP no doubt.

At this point....I'm not making any judgments as to what may have happened. I cannot verify one way or another.

Cheers

Spiro

Never fear to share your experience. If it's honest, it's right, and should be made public. Hope the new unit serves you well for a long time.

Andy or Cayin Support,

I am making my own balanced 2.5mm cable for my HD800 and EL-8, my question for you is what is the wiring for the Cayin 5nii 2.5 balance output? Is it, starting from the tip of the connect, R-, R+, L+ and L-?

Thanks in advance?

It is the same pin-out everyone uses for 2.5 BALANCED.

AK Balanced Schematic.jpeg

Jan 20, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #1,055 of 4,108
Jan 21, 2018 at 2:42 AM Post #1,057 of 4,108
(sorry for my english first)
Hello andy.
I've just buy the N5ii player. The sound is great.
But one problem is giving me a bad experience. When the player is on "sleep" mode and i activate it when i press play to read the song, the player freeze and i have a no sound. Just a window with a message " The smartplayer not respond".
My player is in 2.1 EN firmware.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #1,058 of 4,108
Had the N5II for a few days now and think it's fantastic. Well done Cayin!

However I'm struggling to get album art working either as embedded or jpeg saved in album folder. I used Album Art Downloader to retrieve the images.

Am I missing something, can anyone help?

Jan 21, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #1,059 of 4,108
This going to be a dumb question but
On LO and PO what does PO stand for?
I switched between the two when listening earlier and PO worked but the volume wouldnt change...so i went back to Line Out?

Jan 21, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #1,060 of 4,108
LO: Line out.. It is used to bypass the analogue amplification part and connect it to an external amplifier (the signal output of the DAC before the amplifier is 2VRMs). In this case, you connect your headphone cable to the amplifer. The level of volume is controlled by using the amplifer's settings. Volume settings on N5ii does not have any affect when you use external amplifier. When you use Chord Mojo, you press the 2 volume buttons at the same time just after starting it to change its state to Line-Out. Every device may have its own way of doing it.

PO: Phone Out... The standard way of using N5ii.. It does both DAC and amplification. It sends the amplified analog signal to Phone Out where your headphone is connected to.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #1,062 of 4,108
This is the line out mode. I set the volume level to 0 on N5ii. But it is not important. The amplification is managed by IFI and you get the sound.. It is just an example.. If the usb output of N5ii were silent, it would be better to connect it digitally and let IFI do the DAC and amplification itself. By the way , N5ii can drive TH900 and I also really enjoy it without IFI Black.

1516570191318736456904.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #1,063 of 4,108
So, I've been enjoying the N5ii a lot. I noticed a *possible* bug this afternoon: when an album is finished playing the final track (selected from the ALBUM tab) the next album in the alphabet will automatically start! For example, listened to "Are You Experienced?" to the end and then "Artistry" (following album) starts immediately after. This doesn't happen in ARTIST tab or from the FOLDER from the TF card. MUSIC SETTINGS<PLAY THROUGH FOLDERS is switched off (toggle to the left.) Very surprised when this first happened as I was not expecting more music!

Jan 21, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #1,064 of 4,108
So, I've been enjoying the N5ii a lot. I noticed a *possible* bug this afternoon: when an album is finished playing the final track (selected from the ALBUM tab) the next album in the alphabet will automatically start! For example, listened to "Are You Experienced?" to the end and then "Artistry" (following album) starts immediately after. This doesn't happen in ARTIST tab or from the FOLDER from the TF card. MUSIC SETTINGS<PLAY THROUGH FOLDERS is switched off (toggle to the left.) Very surprised when this first happened as I was not expecting more music!
I have noticed the same thing and wondered if I had the play mode setting incorrect (I was waiting for the manual to be released to check for 'user error'). Maybe this will need to be a new feature request?

Jan 21, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #1,065 of 4,108
Had the N5II for a few days now and think it's fantastic. Well done Cayin!

However I'm struggling to get album art working either as embedded or jpeg saved in album folder. I used Album Art Downloader to retrieve the images.

Am I missing something, can anyone help?
I have album art embedded in each flac file and it is usually working OK. I use JPEG imagines of 500x500 pixels or less.

I have noticed that in album view the album cover picks the image associated with file name prefixed with 01 (had to re-tag as sort will be 1, 10, 11, 2, 3 etc if >9 tracks) however, in folder view it seems to pick a random image to apply as the album cover which is weird.

While we are on the topic, I got my first colour inversion error today (orange appears as blue). I know this has been mentioned previously but not sure whether there has been any comments on cause/fix?

Attachments

• DSC_0034.JPG
    DSC_0034.JPG
    425.1 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back