Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Jan 8, 2018 at 6:46 AM Post #782 of 4,108
for those, who are brave enough to face my accent, my review video

Amazing review Cleg, really gives you a sense of how great this DAP is. And don't mind the accent, it gives character to the review :ksc75smile:

Jan 8, 2018 at 6:59 AM Post #784 of 4,108

Your vid reviews are always top notch. Well done, sir.:)

Jan 8, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #786 of 4,108
Quick question for Cayin. I know at present Aptx codec is not supported. Is this something that is likely to be added in the future? For me that would make the N5ii the most complete mid tier dap out at present

aptX cannot be added to N5ii through software enhancement, that is a hardware limitation, we need to upgrade the BT chipset in order achieve aptX transmission.

We understand the apt-X is a desirable feature to some users who prefer wireless. On the other hand, someone just suggested that the $39 coaxial cable should be included as a standard accessories, the portable users probably will request the $19 "short" coaxial cable be included as well, and then I bet someone will suggest the pleather case is a must have, or upgrade to 2G RAM and 64GB internal makes more sense as the hi-res files are getting bigger everyday. The problem is when we added all these "desirable features" together, N5ii will easily exceed US$500 already.

The point is, N5ii is a mid-tier DAP but it is also a budgeted Android DAP in the market, not the cheapest, but definitely priced at entry level only among Android based players. We don't intend to become the Swiss knife in DAP, Our BOM and unit production budget has forbidden us to do that, unless we cut corner on the analogue and put the money on the auxiliary features and accessories.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 8, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #787 of 4,108
aptX cannot be added to N5ii through software enhancement, that is a hardware limitation, we need to upgrade the BT chipset in order achieve aptX transmission.

We understand the apt-X is a desirable feature to some users who prefer wireless. On the other hand, someone just suggested that the $39 coaxial cable should be included as a standard accessories, the portable users probably will request the $19 "short" coaxial cable be included as well, and then I bet someone will suggest the pleather case is a must have, or upgrade to 2G RAM and 64GB internal makes more sense as the hi-res files are getting bigger everyday. The problem is when we added all these "desirable features" together, N5ii will easily exceed US$500 already.

The point is, N5ii is a mid-tier DAP but it is also a budgeted Android DAP in the market, not the cheapest, but definitely priced at entry level only among Android based players. We don't intend to become the Swiss knife in DAP, Our BOM and unit production budget has forbidden us to do that, unless we cut corner on the analogue and put the money on the auxiliary features and accessories.
Maybe a "DeLuxe" option with short coax cable, pleather case Aptx and 64GB internal memory (2GB RAM not really a necessity as it appears to be working well as it is, at least from the reviews I read). $499? :wink:

Jan 8, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #788 of 4,108
Maybe a "DeLuxe" option with short coax cable, pleather case Aptx and 64GB internal memory (2GB RAM not really a necessity as it appears to be working well as it is, at least from the reviews I read). $499? :wink:

Well, aptX will involve a new PCB board because we have to replace the BT chipset to something completely different, so that is, unfortunately, not really feasible. I was referring to decision we make at R&D stages in my previous post.

Jan 8, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #789 of 4,108

Cleg, once again you have break the record and offered us the first comprehensive video report on N5ii. I really have to salute your diligent and long term support of Cayin products. :beerchug:

Jan 8, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #790 of 4,108
I am also "O.C" like this... it is a curse to be sure! I am interesting in confirming - are you saying that all album art disappears until re-scan occurs? Also, I am wondering if this is for FLAC and/or mp3 format?

It's good to know that I'm not the only one with this kind of curse. :ksc75smile:

The Album Art/Cover Art is there when you're on Music>Album but the moment you switch to the "Now Playing" screen (where the Previous, Pause & Forward buttons are), it does not show the Cover Art and instead it displays the Cayin Default. The same is true when I check the other albums as well. Again, this happens occasionally but can be sometimes annoying specially if you have a huge collection.

And yes, my files are in FLAC format.

Jan 8, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #792 of 4,108
First of all, can you play the track in N5ii directly without connecting to external device?

Type-C to coaxial cable should work with DSD file, did you set the USB output to DoP? Can you describe your system in more detail? You are "using the N5ii as transport to my amp", the name or photo of the amplifier would be helpful to solve the problem.

Yes, DSD plays fine through headphone jack. Yes, DSD mode is DoP. I need USB to work for an iFi Nano BL, but I’m currently using a Questyle CMA400i. USB to my amp with an OTG cable plays sound of DSD, but it extremely choppy. Flac files over USB is much smoother with just a few clicks and pops here and there.

Optical isn’t ideal for me if I plan to use portable amps with USB only. I can record a bit of how it sounds playing DSD from USB.

Jan 8, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #793 of 4,108

Thanks for the quick response. I totally understand the design choices that have to be made and the reasons for them in bringing a product to the market.

Jan 8, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #794 of 4,108
Yes, DSD plays fine through headphone jack. Yes, DSD mode is DoP. I need USB to work for an iFi Nano BL, but I’m currently using a Questyle CMA400i. USB to my amp with an OTG cable plays sound of DSD, but it extremely choppy. Flac files over USB is much smoother with just a few clicks and pops here and there.

Optical isn’t ideal for me if I plan to use portable amps with USB only. I can record a bit of how it sounds playing DSD from USB.

This got me curious. Tried it myself and got the same thing.

Using a Type-C OTG connecting the nano BL to N5ii and playing a DSF file gives a lot of pops, cracks and skips. Same with FLACs but barely noticeable, unless you turn up the volume.

The change in signal quality is best observed when you check the BL's LED. It flickers from Cyan to White everytime it cracks. This could mean that the data transmission over usb is not good.

I am hoping that these observations would be put on high priority on the next fix.

Jan 8, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #795 of 4,108
This got me curious. Tried it myself and got the same thing.

Using a Type-C OTG connecting the nano BL to N5ii and playing a DSF file gives a lot of pops, cracks and skips. Same with FLACs but barely noticeable, unless you turn up the volume.

The change in signal quality is best observed when you check the BL's LED. It flickers from Cyan to White everytime it cracks. This could mean that the data transmission over usb is not good.

I am hoping that these observations would be put on high priority on the next fix.

Exactly. Thanks Brownman_80 for testing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back