Cayin N3Ultra: an Entry-level Portable DAP that Delivers a Complete Vacuum Tube Audio Experience
Apr 7, 2024 at 2:26 AM Post #286 of 657
Had a short audition today and here are what I like (using my Elysium):

- the warm sound of the Classic tube mode
- the damping of the mechanical volume dial is better than that of N3Pro (but I think the grip of N3U can be better)
- UI is smooth
- the monitor size
- the mobile phone interference was minimal when I put my IPhone side-by-side
- the transparent bumper case is pretty nice
- for music of jazz/acoustic guitars (but not so much for electronic music like Kraftwerk’s)

Can be better:
- the track slider could be bigger for those with fat fingers (can be done in next firmware?)

IMG_6809.jpeg
Against my ZX-707

IMG_6810.jpeg
They glow!

IMG_6813.jpeg
The track slider can be bigger.
Did you manage to try the other modes? How does it fare against your 707?

Apr 7, 2024 at 2:39 AM Post #287 of 657
Did you manage to try the other modes? How does it fare against your 707?
I only played around the Classic mode (because I really like the sound), but not so much about the Modern mode. Modern mode is to me clearer and the bass is a tad richer but Classic mode is of more lust.

Zx-707 is comparatively more detailed and is perhaps having a wider soundstage.

Apr 7, 2024 at 3:59 AM Post #291 of 657
I love the concept of this DAP... compact, respectable battery capacity, nice volume wheel, tube mode from 4.4mm PO, and no android bloat for pure music playback using local storage. I get the criticism for lack of streaming capability, but in all honesty, the market is saturated with DAPs containing wifi and bluetooth capability. This DAP in 2024 is refreshing to me... but I still prefer to listen to albums all the way through, so take that with a grain of salt. If people are still interested in the original Sony WM1A/Z (they definitely are!), then there is a market for the N3Ultra in 2024.

Speaking of Sony, one thing I've always loved about their proprietary music UI is the ability to sort music by "High-Res" so you can go right to albums that are encoded in high resolution bitrates and formats. Quite often I want to listen to a DSD album and it is great to easily find them in one place rather than having to do a workaround involving folder view or creating a "genre" for high resolution files using something like mp3tag which is a pain to manage/update.

The description in the OP states "The N3Ultra also features a new, closed pure audio system design for its UI, offering a clean and straightforward user interface". @Andykong This UI would be even better if you would consider implementation of an additional music library category for high resolution files (while not as good, even the option to sort by bitrate or filetype would be helpful). It should be relatively easy to implement if you feel there is demand for it.

Anyway, I am excited to get my hands on the N3Ultra!
This is also why I love my Sony DAP. This simplifies things so much.

Apr 7, 2024 at 7:08 AM Post #294 of 657
I read and read here and there and except for my error of interpretation, I ask: don't you always gain better sound by investing in the IEM than in the DAP? This question is quite confusing. 🤔
sure IEMs have bigger impact on sound over DAP but when you have all IEMs that you like, you start looking at tweaking the sound a little with DAPs in particular the one that do not sound like the mass market: with tubes, R2R, 1 bit…

Apr 7, 2024 at 7:25 AM Post #296 of 657
Would it be possible to install neutron player on the n3u?

Nope. It uses a closed and heavily optimized older version of the Android running in the background, and no wifi either. You can't install or sideload apps or change the default music app. This is a pure audio playback dap supporting either local playback or wired usb-dac functionality.

Apr 7, 2024 at 11:14 AM Post #298 of 657
A newbie question: what is the best way to connect Cayin N3 Ultra with a speakers amp?

Apr 7, 2024 at 11:44 AM Post #299 of 657
Well, that engine isn't the same. The Alfa Romeo engine is 2.9L vs the the Ferrari's 3.9L version.

Here, we're talking same part numbers, made by an excellent DAP Maker, Cayin. Also, A&K is no Ferrari of Audio
Is a nonsense argument, yours and mine, you did get the meaning of it, yes youre right AK is not the ferrari of dap makers , is the Lamborghini, sorry for my mistake

Apr 7, 2024 at 12:49 PM Post #300 of 657
A newbie question: what is the best way to connect Cayin N3 Ultra with a speakers amp?
There are aftermarket cables that will convert the 4.4mm out to balanced dual XLR or 3.5mm out to dual single-ended RCA. If you’re going to be using it as a dedicated source/pre for a speaker amp, you’ll probably want to get a little stand for the N3U so that the DAP and cables are more stable and out of the way (less prone to getting knocked around). I was using a DAP as a digital desktop source for awhile and that was how I had it sorta organized amidst the mess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back