Cayin N3Pro DAP: Dual AK4493 and MQA with Vacuum Tube
Oct 5, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #1,338 of 2,518

The video review, and the other 4 star review posted on here, and this linked review- pretty the same review as the 4 star one sans the faulty volume wheel. So I've seen/read the same review 3 times tonight by the same person.

Twilight zone on here my friends.

Oct 5, 2020 at 9:51 PM Post #1,339 of 2,518
The video review, and the other 4 star review posted on here, and this linked review- pretty the same review as the 4 star one sans the faulty volume wheel. So I've seen/read the same review 3 times tonight by the same person.

Twilight zone on here my friends.

Oh, I see. Actually, took me a few minutes to figure out because I received a few messages asking me if my volume wheel is working OK because the are 3 different reviews talking about N3 Pro with the same problem. In reality, these are 3 different reviews of the same DAP :)

BitWolf and rev92 are from Poland, write on ear-fidelity review site and reviewed the same N3 Pro dap (purchased from UK) with a broken volume wheel. So, we have YT video and Head-fi review by BitWolf and another review of the same dap by rev92 on their website. Just in case if anybody is confused :D

Oct 5, 2020 at 10:54 PM Post #1,340 of 2,518
Yes, yes volume wheels aren't breaking by the second. :wink: It was probably the same person I read about earlier in the thread having problems with the wheel.

Probably would have been better to check out the replacement before writing 3 reviews. - I've had no crashing, my bt works fine and my volume wheel does also. Could have just been a spotty unit. And sorry the last posted review read very similar to the 4 star review on here, so I thought it was the same person.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2020 at 12:17 AM Post #1,341 of 2,518
@Andykong Any plan to place the English user's manual on the website?
Specifically, I was looking to see what is the indication that battery charging is done? Red light means still charging?

Thanks to @CayinSupport, he managed to upload the manual just before we closed the office for 8-days National Anniversary holidays.

1601957696989.png

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 6, 2020 at 12:46 AM Post #1,342 of 2,518
@Andykong

There seems to be some strange bugs with the Breakpoint Resume feature in Music Setting:
  1. Off : I understand this setting is to disable auto play/resume of last played song after re-boot. The issue (as already mentioned in my earlier post) is it does not disable the auto resume but instead removed the last played song all together. So, it doesn’t work and we lost last played song as well.
  2. Song : With this setting, the auto play/resume of last played song is working as it should upon re-boot. However if we turned off the device and plug in the charger, the last played song will disappear when the device is turned on the next time.
  3. Location : This setting seems to work exactly the same as setting to Song. What is this setting actually meant for?

Edit: After re-checking, Location is resuming from last played location in the song, while Song is resuming from start of song. On both, however, the resume of the song is gone after switching off the device and plugging in the charger.
Thx. I’ve checked again. Location is resuming from last played location in the song, while Song is resuming from start of song. On both, however, the resume of the song is gone after switching off the device and plugging in the charger.
Only happens if you switch off and plug in charger. When it is turned on again, the last played song is gone.

I still wish it just pause at the last song rather than auto play/resume like what it is doing now.

When you set Breakpoint resume to OFF, you have turn OFF this feature, therefore the system do not record the breakpoint information. This is normal operation in our UI design.

We didn't have any plan to change our Breakpoint resume practise. We have been using this breakpoint resume practise across all Cayin DAP in past few years, we prefer to keep it as-if at this stage. If we decided to change the Breakpoint resume practise as suggested, the change will be synchronised to all active products (i.e., N8, all N6ii Audio Motherboards, and N3Pro)

When you switch off the player and plug in charger, the system forced the player to "wake-up" and entered pseudo-operation mode, meaning all operations are suspended with the exception of power management function, that's why we can provide charging status in percentage and color-coded breathing LED. Unfortunately, they system will lost all operation status when it get out of the pseudo-operation mode and resume normal operation. Similar situation will appear when you use N3Pro as wireless DAC (as described HERE). This is low-level system constraints, we can't change it unless we added an offline-memory in N3Pro to back up the operation status beforehand.

Oct 6, 2020 at 1:02 AM Post #1,343 of 2,518
Few questions for Cayin

* Is there any lag/delay when using it as USB Dac from computer - or is it just like using a desktop usb dac?

* Can the tubes be used with line out (h3pro > 3.5mm line out)

* Can the tubes be used in dac mode (computer usb > h3pro > 3.5mm line/headphone out)

My Fiio M11 Pro has some slight delay in USB which makes it difficult to use for gaming or music production. I know the Fiio M15 has an XMOS chip and I think it doesn't have any lag when used in dac mode.

The JAN6418 miniature tubes will only be used in 3.5mm phone out (when you set the output to Vacuum tube mode). You'll by pass the tubes when you use Line Out or USB Audio Out (N3Pro as digital source to an outboard DAC), but you can use it when your N3Pro is connected to a computer as USB DAC.

Yes, there will be delay when using N3Pro as USB DAC for your computer, this is inevitable when we adopt Asynchronous USB transmission for USB Audio. This will involve adding a data buffer between the DAC and your computer so it will not synchronized with the video screen of your computer accurately. This will affect the user experience when lip-syn (movie, MTV) or special sound effect (computer game) is an important feature. This is a design constraint, we can completely eliminate the delay because it is an natural outcome of asynchronous transmission.

To explain the concept of asynchronous USB transmission, I shall quote the following explanation on asynchronous USB for discussion purpose:

"Asynchronous USB (not to be confused with asynchronous sample rate conversion) uses a clock housed near the dac (usually in the external dac’s casing) and allows it to drive the converter directly, thereby not relying on the instable computer’s clock. It is called asynchronous because the DAC’s master clock isn’t synchronized directly to any clocks within the computer. Instead, the DAC is controlled by a (potentially high-precision) fixed-frequency clock. This clock controls the datastream from the computer to a buffer near the DA converter."

I would like to draw your attention to two issues in this explanation:
  1. the DAC’s master clock isn’t synchronized directly to the clock of the digital source (a computer in most of the cases)
  2. This controls the datastream from the computer to a buffer near the DA converter
In other word, the audio signal processing is deliberately "disconnected" from the computer clock but the video display remain connected to the computer clock, so the video and audio are not synchronized by nature. In addition, we need to create a data buffer in the audio circuit in order to hold the audio datastream from the computer, and the buffer will inevitably caused delays in the audio signal with reference to the non-buffered video signal. For the record, IEE1394 Firewire was considered the only acceptable option to connect a computer device to an high end audio back in the 90s, USB was not consider acceptable as those were the time when USB connection was operated in synchronized mode and the extremely high jitter and occasional drop out is consider unacceptable by audiophile. The Asynchronized USB transmission has solved these inherited problem and gradually replaced the IEEE1394 Firewire connection in high-end audio, it become the necessary (but not sufficient) criteria to use USB for high quality audio application.

If you cross check with other audio manufacturers, the following video from Cambridge Audio explained the various options (synchronous, adaptive and asynchronous) briefly.

Additional reference are available HERE, HERE and HERE. I hope we can accept the industrial consent that Asynchronous USB transmission is the appropriate choice for a Digital Audio Player.

Oct 6, 2020 at 1:03 AM Post #1,344 of 2,518

Oct 6, 2020 at 1:04 AM Post #1,345 of 2,518
Tried that. Several times. Still gets to the "Updater V 1.1" screen... :frowning2:
Andy - can you provide the FW image (same v1.0 or whatever is already on the DAP) that I can try? Maybe flashing a new (identical) FW image would get it out of this loop??

I can ask for a v1.0 firmware image file after our National Anniversary holiday, but I do suggest you take this to your dealer without any further delay.

Oct 6, 2020 at 1:06 AM Post #1,346 of 2,518
He asked will it be as powerful as the DX160. To which I answered yes, they will be as powerful comparing 4.4mm to 4.4mm

But, on the N3Pro he will want to stick to the 3.5mm output for better sound quality.

In that case when using the best sounding outputs on each player (4.4mm on dx160, 3.5mm UL), the DX160 will be twice as powerful.

Well, you added an qualifier condition "best sounding outputs" to a simple question, its alright if you explain this in advance, otherwise you are providing misleading information.

Oct 6, 2020 at 2:05 AM Post #1,347 of 2,518
Well, you added an qualifier condition "best sounding outputs" to a simple question, its alright if you explain this in advance, otherwise you are providing misleading information.
Yeah I did

4.4 output vs 4.4 output yes. But you'll want to stick with the 3.5mm output on the N3 Pro for better sound quality. And in that case the DX160 will be over twice as powerful.

Oct 6, 2020 at 3:00 AM Post #1,349 of 2,518
Oh, I see. Actually, took me a few minutes to figure out because I received a few messages asking me if my volume wheel is working OK because the are 3 different reviews talking about N3 Pro with the same problem. In reality, these are 3 different reviews of the same DAP :)

BitWolf and rev92 are from Poland, write on ear-fidelity review site and reviewed the same N3 Pro dap (purchased from UK) with a broken volume wheel. So, we have YT video and Head-fi review by BitWolf and another review of the same dap by rev92 on their website. Just in case if anybody is confused :D
Twister6, if you have read the review on our website you'd know that Maciej wrote all of them, including the one on the website. It's literally signed on our main site and there's an adnotation at the end of the review 🙈

Anyway, Maciek made a YouTube video, then he wanted to do a written review for our site and then he shared it on Head-Fi. I believe, that aint nothing bad about that 🖤

Users who are viewing this thread

Back