Cayin N3Pro DAP: Dual AK4493 and MQA with Vacuum Tube
Oct 4, 2020 at 5:44 AM Post #1,291 of 2,518
Oh and is there an album you would recommend by Hoopy Frood?

"Indigo" from 2009 should be a sure bet for you, that one has the most memorable atmosphere and vocals, such as "Suspended in the brightness" and "Samsara" tracks.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #1,292 of 2,518
What about fast heavy music with these tubes? I mean speed, thrash and death metal. Can anyone try to play for example Protector - The Heritage for testing? Thanks.
[/QUO
All my music is on Vinyl so I record my collection using Vinyl Studio, my whole collection is Hard Rock, Metal, Thrash and Death. I have the N3PRO paired with the Mee Audio Pinnacle P1 and love the sound of Metal with this setup. I've had the Pinnacles for a while and used them with the FiiO X7 Mark II, to me the N3Pro sounds better with the tube mode (Medium Gain, UL) still playing around with it. I don't have the band Protector but I've listened to Havok, Toxic Holocaust, Testament, Alien Weaponry, Dust Bolt, Bolt Thrower, Obituary, Exodus, Power Trip, Red Death and a a lot more and all sound great to my ears.

Oct 4, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #1,293 of 2,518
All my music is on Vinyl so I record my collection using Vinyl Studio, my whole collection is Hard Rock, Metal, Thrash and Death. I have the N3PRO paired with the Mee Audio Pinnacle P1 and love the sound of Metal with this setup. I've had the Pinnacles for a while and used them with the FiiO X7 Mark II, to me the N3Pro sounds better with the tube mode (Medium Gain, UL) still playing around with it. I don't have the band Protector but I've listened to Havok, Toxic Holocaust, Testament, Alien Weaponry, Dust Bolt, Bolt Thrower, Obituary, Exodus, Power Trip, Red Death and a a lot more and all sound great to my ears.

Attachments

• 34503AAF-6BC3-4040-B0E4-A2BDF2B3193F.jpeg
    34503AAF-6BC3-4040-B0E4-A2BDF2B3193F.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • EBB0CB93-E716-44EF-8296-EB74F3080525.jpeg
    EBB0CB93-E716-44EF-8296-EB74F3080525.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Oct 4, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #1,294 of 2,518
I’ve had this player since launch and thus far haven’t had any major issues. I have had to cut the player off and on again (on occasion) if I need to switch between BT connections on multiple sources. Otherwise it has proven to perform as designed without fault & has exceeded my expectations to date.

If anyone has issues with the player I would heartily recommend returning it in exchange for another unit or refund if you’re unsatisfied with the performance or quality...while the unit is still under provision to do so. I know this is seemingly obvious..but experience, with other gear, has taught me not to delay returning a faulty device. You will not grow to love it overtime if it does not work out of the box. Take advantage of the return policy early on while you can.

Oct 4, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #1,295 of 2,518
"Indigo" from 2009 should be a sure bet for you, that one has the most memorable atmosphere and vocals, such as "Suspended in the brightness" and "Samsara" tracks.

Thanks will check it out. Hopefully anazon has it. Lol Amazon, yes I purchased it, seems very cool 😎 thnx for rec!

I still can't believe there's no way to select All under Artist tab.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2020 at 9:33 PM Post #1,298 of 2,518
OK so I'm gonna describe my experience so far with this DAP.

It started very innocent. Some crashes here and there and OS that is rebooting itself while skipping tracks. Kinda annoying but nothing bad pretty much.
4th day of usage, tried to connect to BT speaker for the first time. Wanted to go up in volume to 100 since I can control volume from speaker, then went back to 35 since I've switched to my IEMs and... Volume knob died.
It doesn't work at all unless you'll very hardly press top right portion which scratches body underneath and shuts off your DAP after few seconds.
Later on more crashes, most annoying were the ones that literally stopped my shuffle playlist for no particular reason in the middle of the song.
And suddenly we fast forward to today. Tried to use Hiby Link with my phone, doesn't work. Trying to BT connect to my car, connection failed.
Wanted to make fully wireless gaming system with wireless mic, gamepad and audio. Trying to connect N3 Pro to my Bluetooth Transmitter, connection failed.
Trying connect N3 Pro to my Bluetooth Dongle in PC... connection failed, PC recognizes it as Display.
Don't even want to know what's gonna come next... I think I'm just gonna return it. Thought I'll never find anything more unstable than that DX160 I've once tested.
Guess I was wrong...
BWFX6116.jpg BWFX6132.jpgBWFX6124.jpg

I have been contemplating to get either the N3Pro or DX160. So are you saying that DX160 is also unstable but not as terrible as the N3Pro?

Oct 4, 2020 at 9:53 PM Post #1,299 of 2,518
After few weeks I'm finally presenting you full review of this DAP. Unfortunately it looks like the more I use it more things starts to die... literally. Will see how my replacement gonna look like.

All the more reason to buy from an authorised dealer who can provide the necessary warranty service I reckon. Hope it will all work out in the end for you!

Oct 4, 2020 at 10:09 PM Post #1,300 of 2,518
After few weeks I'm finally presenting you full review of this DAP. Unfortunately it looks like the more I use it more things starts to die... literally. Will see how my replacement gonna look like.

Can I ask you a question, and I assume you purchased your N3 Pro from Phil since you have a link to audioconcierge in your video, an authorized UK retailer of Cayin. If you know that you got a defective product with broken volume wheel, Bluetooth problems, and so on, what is a point to invest so much time into such a well produced backhanded compliment review? Wouldn't it make sense to wait for a working replacement and then review it? I mean, one thing is to share about problems here in the forum so others are aware in case if they have similar issues, but to make a cool video review and put so much time and effort into reviewing a defective product? I'm honestly a bit puzzled.

Oct 4, 2020 at 10:13 PM Post #1,301 of 2,518
@twister6 in order to get replacement I have to ship my unit back to UK, thing is I'm from Poland, so it's approx. about 6 days in shipping. Then Phil will send me my replacement which also gonna take almost a week to come. We know how Youtube doesn't like channels with pretty rare uploads, that's why I've decided to make a review on this defective one because main functionality which is playing music works pretty fine.

Oct 5, 2020 at 12:20 AM Post #1,302 of 2,518

Sorry to hear about the problems you got... I also feel the volume button is a bit wobbly on mine when I press it, it does worry me how durable it is.. seems like it's attached to a flimsy bit of plastic or maybe it's like this due to design?

Oct 5, 2020 at 1:29 AM Post #1,303 of 2,518

You mentioned "a lot of crashes", I don't recall what point in the video it was but was that only related to when you are listening to your shuffle playlists? You said something about having everything on shuffle and basically like a shuffle of 65 000 (?) tracks. Personally I only listen to albums and DJ sets and I've had 0 crashes (*knocks on wood* :D) so just guessing if there is some relation. (and of course, shuffle is a normal use case for a lot of users so nothing wrong with that, just wondering about the amount of tracks there).
Anyways, good luck with your replacement unit.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2020 at 1:37 AM Post #1,304 of 2,518
Sorry to hear about the problems you got... I also feel the volume button is a bit wobbly on mine when I press it, it does worry me how durable it is.. seems like it's attached to a flimsy bit of plastic or maybe it's like this due to design?

I think most N3Pro owners who read this thread are being kind of gentle with it :grimacing: One thing to avoid is probably those "big movements at once", like going from 50 to 100 as quickly as you can or something (like mechanically, you can do that with the touch screen as well).

Oct 5, 2020 at 1:37 AM Post #1,305 of 2,518
You mentioned "a lot of crashes", I don't recall what point in the video it was but was that only related to when you are listening to your shuffle playlists? You said something about having everything on shuffle and basically like a shuffle of 65 000 (?) tracks. Personally I only listen to albums and DJ sets and I've had 0 crashes (*knocks on wood* :D) so just guessing if there is some relation.
Anyways, good luck with your replacement unit.
I said 6500, not 65000. N3 Pro can scan max of 20000 tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back