Cayin N3Pro DAP: Dual AK4493 and MQA with Vacuum Tube
Nov 16, 2022 at 6:52 AM Post #2,431 of 2,518
What mode are you using? The ultralinear tube mode has forward mids which may sound bright on some headphones/iems. Personally I prefer the triode mode for a more balanced sound.

Solid state mode just sounds poor so dont use that unless you really need the power for your headphones with the balanced output.
I have tried all modes. Some old recordings want to be corrected with an equalizer, as well as classical music. I make the sound comfortable for myself.
But that's not the point. It is surprising that the manufacturer releases a player with such a problem.
If I knew that it had a non-working equalizer, I would not have bought it.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2022 at 8:45 PM Post #2,433 of 2,518
I have tried all modes. Some old recordings want to be corrected with an equalizer, as well as classical music. I make the sound comfortable for myself.
But that's not the point. It is surprising that the manufacturer releases a player with such a problem.
If I knew that it had a non-working equalizer, I would not have bought it.
I believe it was well communicated by cayin reps here on head fi.

But yes, if you bought it based on the marketing matetials then you wouldn't have known.
I have noticed recently that the firmware seems slow to respond - sometines several minutes then it seems to work ok??

I did reinstall the firmware

d
The player has trouble with large libraries as well as rapid user inputs due to the slow processor. Give it time and try not to spam inputs.

Nov 19, 2022 at 5:37 AM Post #2,434 of 2,518
Can anyone help me how to stream apple music to n3 pro? Tried the hiby app but cant find the option. Also tried a usbc to lightning cable and from the drop down menu set the usb option to “dac” but its not working. Am i missing any steps?

Jan 14, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #2,437 of 2,518
Just to follow up - be warned that this may happen to you if you purchase Cayin products. What's more annoying is their service/warranty is nonexistent - they refer you to the retailer who then refers you to go through third party services. Interesting they don't stand by their products.. Will never be purchasing from them again. Close to $500 down the drain.

Attachments

• IMG_1037.JPG
    IMG_1037.JPG
    921.5 KB · Views: 0
Jan 14, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #2,438 of 2,518
Just to follow up - be warned that this may happen to you if you purchase Cayin products. What's more annoying is their service/warranty is nonexistent - they refer you to the retailer who then refers you to go through third party services. Interesting they don't stand by their products.. Will never be purchasing from them again. Close to $500 down the drain.
Is that burnt on glue from the screensaver? have you tried getting it off with isopropyl rubbing alcohol?

Jan 14, 2023 at 2:56 PM Post #2,439 of 2,518
Hello
About the equalizer on n3pro
I bought this player, listened for two weeks and want to warn others. If you use an equalizer like me, look for something else.
It has an equalizer, but a bug in the firmware does not allow it to be used. When the EQ is enabled, the preset reduces the preamp to reduce distortion, and this preset constantly crashes. When rebooting, when switching tracks, just when listening, it constantly turns off, and the player starts to work with distortions, overload. Very annoying. I have to constantly reset the equalizer settings.
Without an equalizer, this player is too bright (for me), on any headphones.
Given that the firmware is no longer being upgraded, this bug will remain forever.
Maybe someone knows how to solve this problem?
(I only listen to FLAC)
regards to all
Greetings, that sounds strange. all the issues you're having are not experienced by me. I have a few headphones that seem to bypass your issues. The Kennerton GH40 and the LSA HP-2 Ultra se. Probably My ears are not as sensitive as yours though. Maybe try a "darker" headphone, do a search on headfi for "dark" headphones. The eq also seems to work to an exte. Not as much on my MacBook, but I hear minor changes. Or it could be just me. But for sure, my GH40's do not experience any sibilance. I will add that about 90% of my digital files have been converted from cd and then "upgraded" to 24/88.2 But more important is the CDs that I bought were specifically selected for their sonic and mixing qualities. Before I purchase any cd and downloaded file I check the DR soundwars website for the Dynamic Response numbers and find the best "mixed" album. Of course, Not every album is listed but a high percentage of mine happened to be there. So after all that, basically the original file whether cd or digital matters, and matters greatly. I do my file conversion using the XLD app which is a freeware download and is exceptional. Just my 2 ¢ents...be sure to Enjoy the Music!
Cheers

Jan 14, 2023 at 6:21 PM Post #2,443 of 2,518
Looks like lcd delamination

Jan 14, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #2,444 of 2,518
In any cases, you will have to have it shipped to China —> repaired —> shipped back to you, which will take a while plus all the Covid stuff going on. Good luck !

Jan 14, 2023 at 6:51 PM Post #2,445 of 2,518
Alternatively, cayin, andy, said on the n8 thread that theyre willing to ship parts for the unit to you at a lesser cost and you can comission/do the repairs yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back