Cayin N3Pro DAP: Dual AK4493 and MQA with Vacuum Tube
Sep 1, 2022 at 8:47 PM Post #2,402 of 2,518
I'm assuming you have an actual sd card fitted? ...not the plastic blank that they ship with....

if so, try swiping down on the display and check that USB is not set to 'DAC' ..

unlikely it would have shipped like that but you never know..

Sep 8, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #2,403 of 2,518
Just bought an open box N3 Pro from Audio46 that is arriving tomorrow. Jumping on the bandwagon a bit late but I've been eyeing this DAP since it was released. Any tips would be helpful. I've got a 1 TB card filled to the brim with high res and CD quality FLAC (14,000 and change songs). Mostly classic, alternative and progressive rock. Always preferred music from downloads and files uploaded from my own CD collection versus streaming anyway.
I know the weight is 195g. How is it for mobile use? Light enought to carry in a pants or jacket pocket? Any microphonics?

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #2,404 of 2,518
Just bought an open box N3 Pro from Audio46 that is arriving tomorrow. Jumping on the bandwagon a bit late but I've been eyeing this DAP since it was released. Any tips would be helpful. I've got a 1 TB card filled to the brim with high res and CD quality FLAC (14,000 and change songs). Mostly classic, alternative and progressive rock. Always preferred music from downloads and files uploaded from my own CD collection versus streaming anyway.
I know the weight is 195g. How is it for mobile use? Light enought to carry in a pants or jacket pocket? Any microphonics?
It works great for mobile use, it’s incredibly light for a DAP and you won’t hear the tubes unless you properly knock on the DAP - no noise from walking around, some people in the thread even use it at the gym.

Check the file limit, I don’t remember if it can index properly that many songs.

Sep 8, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #2,405 of 2,518
It works great for mobile use, it’s incredibly light for a DAP and you won’t hear the tubes unless you properly knock on the DAP - no noise from walking around, some people in the thread even use it at the gym.

Check the file limit, I don’t remember if it can index properly that many songs.
From what I've read there's a 20,000 song limit. Great news about the low microphonics and the mobility. I recall reading the tubes are suspended in some kind of fluid, but I wasn't sure about the overall consensus on ringing. Tomorrow can't come fast enough. I've got some nice IEMs that could use just a bit of the edge off with a little tubiness.Thanks.

Sep 8, 2022 at 7:21 PM Post #2,406 of 2,518
From what I've read there's a 20,000 song limit. Great news about the low microphonics and the mobility. I recall reading the tubes are suspended in some kind of fluid, but I wasn't sure about the overall consensus on ringing. Tomorrow can't come fast enough. I've got some nice IEMs that could use just a bit of the edge off with a little tubiness.Thanks.
20.000? Good.
It’s not a fluid exactly but a special silicon suspension system. Anyway… you’ll like Triode mode I expect. Cheers.

Sep 10, 2022 at 4:49 AM Post #2,407 of 2,518
Just got mine today. Connected a USB to my PC and I don't have the option to transfer music. What am I doing wrong?
rather weirdly ..my N3Pro has also recently decided to not enter OTG mode when i connect to laptop ..or my cellphone.

It was working faultlessly until a day or so ago .... soon as plugged in it would enter OTG mode and the micro sd would become visible on my laptop/cellphone.

Now it enters OTG for 1 sec..before the screen reverts to previous ..and microSd never becomes visible on host laptop or cell. :/

This is very inconvenient for moving music around... now i have remove the micro sd and do it the long way ....

Anyone else had this problem? .. I have powered the unit Off/ON/Off several times..and used a few different cables .. but no change.

anyone have a 'fix' for it?

Sep 11, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #2,408 of 2,518
I don't think you will be disappointed. This DAP has a very inviting sound signature through the tubes. Tubes are stable. Besides warm up delay before playback and slight ringing when placed down on hard surface, there are no concerns with tubes. I prefer streaming and use N3Pro exclusively as BT LDAC receiver. Unless playing DSD files, I hear very little difference vs listening to microSD card.

Sep 14, 2022 at 1:12 AM Post #2,409 of 2,518
I don't think you will be disappointed. This DAP has a very inviting sound signature through the tubes. Tubes are stable. Besides warm up delay before playback and slight ringing when placed down on hard surface, there are no concerns with tubes. I prefer streaming and use N3Pro exclusively as BT LDAC receiver. Unless playing DSD files, I hear very little difference vs listening to microSD card.
I really like it so far. I've been using triode mode more than ultralinear. Very natural sounding without sacrificing detail. The N3 pro not only turns my IEMs into different beasts, but there's still enough juice to make my Grado PS500's shine. I have to wonder if Cayin will make another mid-fi DAP with tubes like this again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back