Cayin N3Pro DAP: Dual AK4493 and MQA with Vacuum Tube
Dec 25, 2020 at 4:30 AM Post #1,816 of 2,518
Received mine about a week ago and absolutely loving it! Great built device with snappy UI, amazing sound and addictive "gimmick" with tube flavour.

@Andykong 2 things that could be added/fixed in future updates could be:
-currently there is no option to select folder from folder view and have it play all the content inside. For example if there is a folder structure like ARTIST/ALBUM, it's impossible to select artist and play all albums at once (same if you're browsing by tags)
-when you long press folder in folder view, it gives you the option to add its contents to a playlist, but once you do, nothing is added.

Those were the only issues i found with OS so far (and one is just a functionality i would like to have :D ). I enjoy using it as it's more responsive and fluid compared to my DX160.

I just tried, I can add a folder to playlist on my N3Pro. When I long press Alicia Key folder, I can select "Add to Playlist", and then Create new Playlist in next screen. I named the playlist as Alice, and it shows up with all 16 songs correctly in the new playlist.

However, you cannot add music files in subfolders into a playlist through this operation, only the music file in that particular folder will be added. I guess that's what you are trying to do and N3Pro failed you on that. We have tried this previously with N8 but can't extend the add to playlist feature to cover subfolders unless we rewrite our file management routines substantially.

Besides, this can be a dangerous move because the limited CPU resource will have problem dealing with very large playlist. We recommend users to stay within 1000 titles in one playlist, once you go beyond that, we'll run out of space to hold all the headers of the music titles in the playlist, and when you wipe up and down in the playlist, the player will lag behind and eventually freeze up with the playlist is too long (over 3000 titles, for examples)

1608886030623.png

1608886076171.png

I asked several pages ago if you could play all an artists tracks randomly and have had no response (official or other)

d

We can't right now, and we have any plan to implement this feature in our system, this is a limitation of our CPU and file management system.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 25, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #1,817 of 2,518
I’m loving the N3Pro, bass extension and quality is fantastic, timbre is delicious, it made me fall in love all over again with some iems I’d left on the wayside and is feeding my newest and latest like a beast.

I have one big issue with it, which comes down to how I envision the device itself.

For me, with no Android support, a legacy screen and UI, and an OS/hardware prone to crashing and limited in its support of SD card formatting (#subfoldergate), the N3Pro is better viewed as a mobile DAC/amp, wired and wireless, than as an autonomous player. Like an alternative to the iFi xDSD or the Fiio Q5S. The screen is a convenience, making it easier to switch amp mode, adjust gain and volume, check bit rate, update firmware etc. The SD card slot is just a bonus for me even though I’ve got dozens of Bandcamp albums on mine, it’s just not how I consume most music nowadays - and Cayin designed the N3Pro with this in mind, per their own material it’s the main reason why it receives LDAC, while many SD-card based competitors still don’t. USB DAC function is also crucial in this regard, it’s a big streaming enabler.

The LDAC receiver part works fine, although I hear a bit of crackle sometimes, perhaps due to interference, I’m still troubleshooting. Seems more prevalent at higher bit rates than with 320 kbps streams. It might also crop up only via UAPP, because of one setting or another.

The USB DAC is perfectly implemented, and displays the same bit rate UAPP indicates (the N3Pro sometimes says 24-bit when UAPP says 16, but that’s harmless).
Where it fails massively is down to one tiny detail: it won’t stop draining my phone battery. It’s a Zenfone 7 Pro, with a huge battery, but even so I see it ebb away, away, away. I tried it with my V30, and it sucked 50% battery in an hour give or take.
That behavior means the entire USB DAC function is deeply compromised, since it also means battery will charge up to 100% when plugged into a computer and stay there for hours. We all know that’s bad battery management.

The Qudelix-5K app lets me turn charging on or off; @Andykong @CayinSupport I dearly hope for an update to the N3Pro firmware that introduces such a switch.

Dec 25, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #1,819 of 2,518
I just found a way to crash the N3Pro (I wasn't trying).

With track playing:
1. choose or change EQ preset
2. change volume while still on EQ screen
3. device freezes
4. device reboots
5. repeatable on my unit

firmware v 2.0 / 24 bit FLAC playing

can anyone else reproduce?

Read back a few pages, there's many ways to crash it. :head_bandage: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

But @Andykong has been pretty active on here so keep reporting any issues & hopefully they can address them.

~edit - Just tried, wasn't able to repeat this crash on my unit.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #1,820 of 2,518
I am planning to use this mainly as a Bluetooth and USB DAC device hopefully it will not have any crash issue. Another thing is I'm also already having a Qudelix 5k, hope the N3pro will give a more unique experience.
I’m loving the N3Pro, bass extension and quality is fantastic, timbre is delicious, it made me fall in love all over again with some iems I’d left on the wayside and is feeding my newest and latest like a beast.

I have one big issue with it, which comes down to how I envision the device itself.

For me, with no Android support, a legacy screen and UI, and an OS/hardware prone to crashing and limited in its support of SD card formatting (#subfoldergate), the N3Pro is better viewed as a mobile DAC/amp, wired and wireless, than as an autonomous player. Like an alternative to the iFi xDSD or the Fiio Q5S. The screen is a convenience, making it easier to switch amp mode, adjust gain and volume, check bit rate, update firmware etc. The SD card slot is just a bonus for me even though I’ve got dozens of Bandcamp albums on mine, it’s just not how I consume most music nowadays - and Cayin designed the N3Pro with this in mind, per their own material it’s the main reason why it receives LDAC, while many SD-card based competitors still don’t. USB DAC function is also crucial in this regard, it’s a big streaming enabler.

The LDAC receiver part works fine, although I hear a bit of crackle sometimes, perhaps due to interference, I’m still troubleshooting. Seems more prevalent at higher bit rates than with 320 kbps streams. It might also crop up only via UAPP, because of one setting or another.

The USB DAC is perfectly implemented, and displays the same bit rate UAPP indicates (the N3Pro sometimes says 24-bit when UAPP says 16, but that’s harmless).
Where it fails massively is down to one tiny detail: it won’t stop draining my phone battery. It’s a Zenfone 7 Pro, with a huge battery, but even so I see it ebb away, away, away. I tried it with my V30, and it sucked 50% battery in an hour give or take.
That behavior means the entire USB DAC function is deeply compromised, since it also means battery will charge up to 100% when plugged into a computer and stay there for hours. We all know that’s bad battery management.

The Qudelix-5K app lets me turn charging on or off; @Andykong @CayinSupport I dearly hope for an update to the N3Pro firmware that introduces such a switch.

Dec 25, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #1,821 of 2,518

With track playing:
3. device freezes
4. device reboots
5. repeatable on my unit

I just tried on v2.0 and 24 bit flac playing, can not seem to reproduce this on my unit

Dec 26, 2020 at 5:41 AM Post #1,822 of 2,518
I just tried, I can add a folder to playlist on my N3Pro. When I long press Alicia Key folder, I can select "Add to Playlist", and then Create new Playlist in next screen. I named the playlist as Alice, and it shows up with all 16 songs correctly in the new playlist.
Yes and you can then add other folders to the playlist, i did this for all my amy winehouse albums but it is a tedious process, is there any way to create playlists externally - perhaps by adding them to the sd card?

Dec 26, 2020 at 5:57 AM Post #1,823 of 2,518
I just tried on v2.0 and 24 bit flac playing, can not seem to reproduce this on my unit

I only use EQ with a TinHifi P1 and while using the preset EQ profiles I experienced multiple crashes as described above.

In the time since I have not been able to reproduce it either. Who knows? As for the P1 on the N3 Pro? Not bad as long as I can EQ it

Dec 26, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #1,824 of 2,518
Playlists - i can create them on my pc - m3u file extension - but how do i make them work on the n3pro?

i tried changing the path to ../ but this did not work

??

any ideas - the files are in folders on the sd card, first level is artist then next level is albums.

Dec 26, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #1,825 of 2,518
I only use EQ with a TinHifi P1 and while using the preset EQ profiles I experienced multiple crashes as described above.

In the time since I have not been able to reproduce it either. Who knows? As for the P1 on the N3 Pro? Not bad as long as I can EQ it
if i not wrong u need to pause the music then eq. tat wat i find out.even like on wifi or need pause if i remember.

Dec 26, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #1,826 of 2,518
if i not wrong u need to pause the music then eq. tat wat i find out.even like on wifi or need pause if i remember.
it's 2020! it's weird to use a method like this

Dec 26, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #1,827 of 2,518
it's 2020! it's weird to use a method like this
Unfortunately, they’ve acknowledged that the CPU is limited. Guess that’s how they managed to keep the cost of the player down. Hopefully there is something that can be done with firmware updates (it seems these bugs are being reported to their software engineers so that is a plus), but I think they’ll need to upgrade the CPU if they decide to release another N3Pro in the future.

Dec 26, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #1,828 of 2,518
@rantng
Many people, many opinions. But I would pay more for stability and comfort of work.

Dec 26, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #1,829 of 2,518
Unfortunately, they’ve acknowledged that the CPU is limited. Guess that’s how they managed to keep the cost of the player down. Hopefully there is something that can be done with firmware updates (it seems these bugs are being reported to their software engineers so that is a plus), but I think they’ll need to upgrade the CPU if they decide to release another N3Pro in the future.

@rantng
Many people, many opinions. But I would pay more for stability and comfort of work.

Unfortunately, we don't choose this CPU in order to keep the cost down, we choose this because there is no other choice. No one is making CPU for this type of device anymore, the non-Android-based media box market is shrinking and resources were devoted to Android based market. When the semiconductor industry is not providing any updated solution, we just have to live with the older technologies, or bite the bullet to give up the market completely. Cayin has been looking for new CPU solution in past few years that we can't find a solution that serve the same purpose. For example, we sure want to get away from the 20,000 title limit on music search, 2-3 years ago this is a well-respected limit because we only have 256GB TF card at that time.

Dec 26, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #1,830 of 2,518

With track playing:
3. device freezes
4. device reboots
5. repeatable on my unit

This looks your N3Pro is stuck in a software loop, probably due to memory management issue. The problem probably will rectified after a reboot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back