Cayin N3Pro DAP: Dual AK4493 and MQA with Vacuum Tube
Dec 21, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #1,803 of 2,518
MQA file format is now recognized by the N3 Pro

True, but what I'm wondering and can't confirm because I don't have Tidal subscription, can you use N3Pro as DAC/amp with a phone or a laptop streaming Tidal and get full decoding since N3Pro is MQA certified? Look at thumbstick dacs like Dragonfly with MQA support, they add MQA unfolding to hosts that don't support it. If N3Pro is MQA certified, in theory it should work the same way.

Can anybody confirm?

Dec 21, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #1,804 of 2,518
True, but what I'm wondering and can't confirm because I don't have Tidal subscription, can you use N3Pro as DAC/amp with a phone or a laptop streaming Tidal and get full decoding since N3Pro is MQA certified? Look at thumbstick dacs like Dragonfly with MQA support, they add MQA unfolding to hosts that don't support it. If N3Pro is MQA certified, in theory it should work the same way.

Can anybody confirm?
With my phone transmitting 8x MQA thanks to UAPP’s $4 subscription, the N3Pro’s USB DAC says it’s decoding 24/88.2 content. I don’t get full MQA since it’s transmitted by my phone. Perhaps with an LG phone you get full MQA.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #1,805 of 2,518

Can anybody confirm?
It seems to work on my laptop. The N3 Pro is apparently capable of decoding on the hardware side as well since software decoding is disabled (2nd pic).

1608576695257.png
1608576715191.png

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #1,807 of 2,518

Can anybody confirm?

Not on my PC. I'm getting 24/48 and led indicator is flashing red cause it's charging every time it's connected to USB.

It seems to work on my laptop. The N3 Pro is apparently capable of decoding on the hardware side as well since software decoding is disabled (2nd pic).

What info are You getting on your dap's screen while playing Masters?

IMG_20201221_195922.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #1,808 of 2,518
What info are You getting on your dap's screen while playing Masters?

It's the same as yours. However, given software unfolding is disabled, it shouldn't work without a suitable hardware. Offline MQA files are supported (I've already tested that). I'd speculate that the N3 Pro supports upto "MQA Renderer" level when used as a DAC with the PC (details here: https://www.mqa.co.uk/how-it-works). Thus we see the reduced bit rate/sampling rate.

Dec 23, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #1,809 of 2,518
Received mine about a week ago and absolutely loving it! Great built device with snappy UI, amazing sound and addictive "gimmick" with tube flavour.

@Andykong 2 things that could be added/fixed in future updates could be:
-currently there is no option to select folder from folder view and have it play all the content inside. For example if there is a folder structure like ARTIST/ALBUM, it's impossible to select artist and play all albums at once (same if you're browsing by tags)
-when you long press folder in folder view, it gives you the option to add its contents to a playlist, but once you do, nothing is added.

Those were the only issues i found with OS so far (and one is just a functionality i would like to have :D ). I enjoy using it as it's more responsive and fluid compared to my DX160.

Dec 23, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #1,810 of 2,518
I'm just curious, are there any noticeable quality difference if a DAP plays track from native app such as Tidal vs playing from the phone via Bluetooth assuming the phone supports LDAC.?

Dec 23, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #1,811 of 2,518
I'm just curious, are there any noticeable quality difference if a DAP plays track from native app such as Tidal vs playing from the phone via Bluetooth assuming the phone supports LDAC.?
I don’t think this DAP supports any online streaming. But I guess you can connect via cable and use it as a DAC in that case it may support some higher bitrate then what LDAC(24/96)supports. Also wired is best method of connection but sometime we need LDAC for wireless convenience. BT connection does have some caveat. For eg. Spotify has OGG Vorbis which will need to be decoded by the phone and then encoded into another algorithm (LDAC) before being transmitted to DAP. So that’s that for BT. Now how much of audible difference it’s gonna make is something no one can answer for you unless you hear it on your device itself.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #1,812 of 2,518
Just wanted to post my first impressions on the N3Pro Cayin sent out to me on loan.

Overall from my short impression on it so far, I feel pretty pleased on it. The immediate thing I noticed about this is how well extended the N3pro is in the bass. It does give a good sense of rumble, dynamics and layering. There is also some good extension in the treble when trying the solid state mode and tube ultra linear mode. The tube triode mode sounds a bit more subdued in the treble. I also noticed a decent bit of a sound stage difference when comparing tube triode, and tube ultra linear mode. The ultra linear mode seems to be more spacious sounding by a decent bit and the triode is more intimate.

So far I do love how much lighter and smaller this is compared the the N6ii I tried and the build quality seems up to par in my books. The device is also very cool in comparison and feels slightly warm at worst whether in tube or solid state mode. I can not really say much to complain right now, although I will need to do further testing for the full review.
IMG_20201222_172412.jpg

IMG_20201222_181148.jpg

Dec 24, 2020 at 2:47 AM Post #1,813 of 2,518
currently there is no option to select folder from folder view and have it play all the content inside. For example if there is a folder structure like ARTIST/ALBUM, it's impossible to select artist and play all albums at once (same if you're browsing by tags)
I asked several pages ago if you could play all an artists tracks randomly and have had no response (official or other)

d

Dec 24, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #1,814 of 2,518
I asked several pages ago if you could play all an artists tracks randomly and have had no response (official or other)

d

It’s a great sounding DAP, hampered by its UI; hopefully Cayin can address it with firmware updates, if possible.

Dec 24, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #1,815 of 2,518
I am thinking of getting one as a dedicated (bus-powered) desktop dac/amp. Am I crazy? I want something compact as I work out of a dining table now. I also want something fun, like tube/SS modes.

I have not decided which headphone to get yet. Probably a Sennheiser HD 650, HifiMan Sundara or Audeze LCD-1. (I have been resistant to using headphones thus far but I want to give it another try.)

Is the N3Pro pretty reliable?

Also, have you guys figured out if it is an MQA decoder or renderer when used as a USB DAC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back