Cayin N3Pro DAP: Dual AK4493 and MQA with Vacuum Tube
Sep 15, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #871 of 2,518
Correction to previous statement. If item is purchased directly from Musicteck, it will require a restocking fee. However, if purchased from Musicteck through Amazon the restocking fee maybe waived. Look at the return/refund policy from Musicteck site.

While I'm reviewer, not a consumer, I had a discussion about this with a few retailers in the past, including Musicteck. Seems like others have a similar policy cause some people buy and return back just to try the product, and then retailers have to sell it as an open box items at 15% off which is the restocking fee difference. With Amazon, return policy is different, but even they keep track of periodic returns. Also, I think musicteck offers some of the products on loan to listen as a demo, which helps since we don't have access to CanJams or other audio shows this year, and who knows how the next year turns out to be here in US :frowning2:

Sep 15, 2020 at 9:51 PM Post #872 of 2,518
Seems that headphones.com will eventually stock this and they seem to have an excellent return policy. I guess I’ll keep my eye out for it over there.

Sep 15, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #873 of 2,518
Seems that headphones.com will eventually stock this and they seem to have an excellent return policy. I guess I’ll keep my eye out for it over there.

But I just read on their headphones.com site return policy includes customer paying the shipping fee, 15% restocking fee, or 20% restocking fee if something is missing from the packaging, or 25% restocking fee if you return more than 2 products within a year ?

Sep 15, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #874 of 2,518
Which sounds better this one or dx160?
Don’t have a dx160, but comparing with my dx150 amp8, the 150 sounds like a flatscreen tv while the n3pro sounds like a curved 3D tv in terms of soundstage. Signature-wise, the n3pro is big on the bass without ever getting boomy and surprisingly sweet in the upper mids.

Sep 15, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #876 of 2,518
Don’t have a dx160, but comparing with my dx150 amp8, the 150 sounds like a flatscreen tv while the n3pro sounds like a curved 3D tv in terms of soundstage. Signature-wise, the n3pro is big on the bass without ever getting boomy and surprisingly sweet in the upper mids.
The DX150 was pretty underwhelming though, even with better amps.

Sep 15, 2020 at 11:21 PM Post #877 of 2,518
But I just read on their headphones.com site return policy includes customer paying the shipping fee, 15% restocking fee, or 20% restocking fee if something is missing from the packaging, or 25% restocking fee if you return more than 2 products within a year ?

There’s no restocking fee for at least the first return in a calendar year if the product is like new with nothing missing.

Sep 16, 2020 at 12:14 AM Post #879 of 2,518
Which sounds better this one or dx160?

Definitely N3Pro, ( 3.5mm tube mode ) gives more details, energetic, fleshy sounds.
It sounds more natural and "real" to my ears.
The first time I hear such a rich and sweet vocal coming from a DAP instead of a MiniDisc player.

PXL_20200916_035724194.PORTRAIT-01.COVER.jpg

Sep 16, 2020 at 12:34 AM Post #881 of 2,518
I'm wondering what happens with these returns where no restocking fee is assessed. Are they sold as "Open Box Items" at a discount?
Yes, reputable dealers will sell them as open box at some discount. They just take the loss between what they could have sold it at versus what they do sell it at. Places like Amazon can more easily absorb this just based on their sheer size, even though they have their limits too. Smaller dealers who allow this take the risk in the hopes that you will still buy something from them based on them providing this service if you don't keep the original item. I know Headphones.com allows a return within 365 days which is insane, but it's companies like this that sell these products because they love the hobby and want to make sure you love the products too. I've had great customer service from many retailers (Audio46, Bloom Audio, Headphones.com, MusicTeck) and those are the ones I return to when I buy something that I want and that they carry.

Sep 16, 2020 at 3:04 AM Post #883 of 2,518
Definitely N3Pro, ( 3.5mm tube mode ) gives more details, energetic, fleshy sounds.
It sounds more natural and "real" to my ears.
The first time I hear such a rich and sweet vocal coming from a DAP instead of a MiniDisc player.

PXL_20200916_035724194.PORTRAIT-01.COVER.jpg
How does the soundstage, instrument separation and clarity compare?

Sep 16, 2020 at 3:50 AM Post #885 of 2,518
How does the soundstage, instrument separation and clarity compare?

N3Pro has better instrument separation and clarity in 4.4mm and 3.5mm,
Soundstage is similar for both in 4.4mm, DX160 has wider soundstage in 3.5mm.
I think most of the people buying N3Pro because of its sweetest 3.5mm tube mode vocal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back