Cayin N3Pro DAP: Dual AK4493 and MQA with Vacuum Tube
Sep 15, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #857 of 2,518
Do any of the shops selling this in the US have a good return policy where if I didn’t like the dap (mainly cause of the UI) I could return it within a week or something?

Sep 15, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #858 of 2,518
Really torn between buying this or a Shanling M5s. I really appreciate how the UI and folder browsing work on Shanling devices, and their volume wheels are high quality and feel really good. I’m concerned the N3Pro will be less usable for me. I wish we had a good manual or even a good video showing the UI being used at length.

Especially browsing by folder, how to get to the currently playing album while playing a track, etc. I browse by folder almost exclusively, Artist > Album then typically listen to full albums. After I start playing the album I like to be able to quickly see where the track that’s currently playing is in the list of all the album tracks. I also like to be able to back out to the other albums in the artists folder, then back to artists, rather than starting back at the root folder of the sd card.

Other details from actual users I’d like to hear more about is actual battery usage times, how long after adding new albums to the sd card does it take for the unit/sd card to update, etc?

Battery seems close to spec on tube mode, roughly 8 to 9 hours real usage. Didn't time the library update but it was pretty fast. The build quality is very nice and so is the wheel.

From what I remember the ui operation in folder mode is similar you can back out in order and hit the circle to go back to now playing. And if you hit back again it will remember where you are. Normal operation to me. I can try to take a crappy ui vid later. I personally have no problem with the UI it is pretty simple, kind of reminds me of lotoo paw os.

Sound wise I thought the M5s was a little to polite soubding and although good I liked my other daps at the time. This is subjective and personal opinion of course but I find the ultralinear mode to sound better than most of the daps I've heard. From memory I think sony z1 sounded a bit better, but that was a short demo. To me the tube effect adds quite a bit. I swear when I switch back to ss it sounds a bit flat- looses depth and presence/weight.

M5s I'm sure has better battery life, and is more svelte.

I just did a rudematary UI vid. You tube says it's going to take about 2 hours to load so I'll try and link it later. Ok here it is, forgive the miss hits, as I was using my phone to film it with one hand. And forgive the rabble at the end. Hopefully it will give you an idea.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #859 of 2,518
Don't underestimate HiBy Link - it's really cool.

Attachments

• F3197C07-D0AC-4071-A0CC-5CF1B7B03977.png
    F3197C07-D0AC-4071-A0CC-5CF1B7B03977.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 15, 2020 at 6:44 PM Post #861 of 2,518
Sep 15, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #863 of 2,518
What IEMs has everyone been using with this DAP? I’m also curious as to whether or not the Tin P1’s would pair well with either tube mode.
I've been using the rha cl2 and like p1s, they're planar... For me I've just been using the balanced output for that... With planars... Stick with clean raw power... My ultrasones however... They use the tubes but only with certain songs and genres

Sep 15, 2020 at 8:29 PM Post #868 of 2,518
Do any of the shops selling this in the US have a good return policy where if I didn’t like the dap (mainly cause of the UI) I could return it within a week or something?
You could check with Andrew at MusicTeck. He might have one that's being used as a demo. You can also return items for mostly free within 30 days if you pay with Amazon Pay. You would have to pay the return shipping. If you use a credit card or PayPal you would have those fees held out of the refund unless you take store credit (I believe).

Sep 15, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #870 of 2,518
Correction to previous statement. If item is purchased directly from Musicteck, it will require a restocking fee. However, if purchased from Musicteck through Amazon the restocking fee maybe waived. Look at the return/refund policy from Musicteck site.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back