Cayin N30LE DAP: A Transformative Milestone (30th Anniv. Limited Edition)
Aug 31, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #571 of 2,982
It is also still available from the official German Cayin Distributor.

Aug 31, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #572 of 2,982
It is also still available from the official German Cayin Distributor.
Apparently the distributor doesn't share the left over units with other dealers though, and it’s only possible for me if the dealer also accepts my Pulsar as trade in.

Aug 31, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #573 of 2,982
Apparently the distributor doesn't share the left over units with other dealers though, and it’s only possible for me if the dealer also accepts my Pulsar as trade in.

Seen it's a tactics on marketing.

Aug 31, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #574 of 2,982
I have been spending a bit more time with the demo unit before I send it back tomorrow. Here's some more random unorganized thoughts and impressions.

I’m assuming this will be addressed with FW updates (if it isn’t battery calibration) but I’ve noticed the battery drain when the device is off seems significant. Taken off of the charger at 11am - 100%, device powered on at 1pm and it was at 94% battery. May be likely due to battery calibration? I am not sure how many hours or charges this unit has.

The sound, argh. It's very likely that this just happens to hit my preferences so as always please take my opinions with a grain of salt. But wow, I am absolutely in love with the presentation this DAP brings. To my ears this is one of the finest DS DAC implementations I have heard, period. Most if not all of the AK4499 implementations I heard I wasn't really a fan of as I always associated them with his overly smooth sound that didn't quite have defined note edges or transients, it felt like someone had spilled a bottle of lube over the track giving it this sort of artificial characteristic. It always sounded nice to me but not quite realistic and too smooth. That is not the case here at all. While it isn't a reference sounding DAP, there is a wonderful flavor of warmth coupled with something that doesn't feel like it's lacking in technicals at all or bringing a drastic coloration, it is very tastefully done. I find myself being wow'd by the bass texture, the fullness, the emotive mid range and vocals, the inoffensive but highly detailed treble while simultaneously obsessing over the vast open soundstage and top class dynamics and exceptional PRaT. The entire presentation just feels effortless.

I try not to "hype" things. This is one of the most expensive products (and the most expensive DAP) I've ever bought in the 15 years I've been in this hobby, so my expectations were sky high. On paper this device looks more or less perfect and I felt my own (perhaps unrealistic?) expectations might not have been met. This is why even though I had already pre ordered I had asked to demo one beforehand if it was possible, because if it wasn't bringing something to me worth it's very hefty price tag then I would have canceled the order. The fact I feel my own expectations have been met, and then some, just shows how I much I am enjoying what this has to offer. There is nothing like this on the market that can bring this level of performance in a package that still feels relatively "portable". I am even more excited now to receive my own unit in the following days, and I can't wait for everyone else to get theirs to see other thoughts and impressions. :)

Aug 31, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #575 of 2,982
To my ears this is one of the finest DS DAC implementations I have heard, period. Most if not all of the AK4499 implementations I heard I wasn't really a fan of as I always associated them with his overly smooth sound that didn't quite have defined note edges or transients, it felt like someone had spilled a bottle of lube over the track giving it this sort of artificial characteristic. It always sounded nice to me but not quite realistic and too smooth. That is not the case here at all. While it isn't a reference sounding DAP, there is a wonderful flavor of warmth coupled with something that doesn't feel like it's lacking in technicals at all or bringing a drastic coloration, it is very tastefully done. I find myself being wow'd by the bass texture, the fullness, the emotive mid range and vocals, the inoffensive but highly detailed treble while simultaneously obsessing over the vast open soundstage and top class dynamics and exceptional PRaT. The entire presentation just feels effortless.

Always appreciate your honest impressions and oh my DAH HYPE!!! I had Andrew upgrade my shipping to Next Day and hopefully my N30LE0?? is in the initial batch.

Reading your *highlighted* impression made me shiggle 🤭

Aug 31, 2023 at 4:24 PM Post #576 of 2,982
Always appreciate your honest impressions and oh my DAH HYPE!!! I had Andrew upgrade my shipping to Next Day and hopefully my N30LE0?? is in the initial batch.

Reading your *highlighted* impression made me shiggle 🤭

I have also added next day delivery, lol. This one leaves my possession tomorrow and I want my own unit asap. You are going to love it, it’s not as neutral or transparent as 320Max Ti, and it’s not trying to be, but I firmly believe there’s an artistic skill set needed to tune something that’s able to make music feel like music while maintaining a very high degree of technicality too. I find most DAPs tilt one way or the other, this sits in a very good medium for me.

At the end of the day synergy is also everything, there’s some IEMs I prefer from something like my iPhone dongle over a TOTL dap, but for what I have at the moment N30 is outstanding. I had my N8ii for about 9 months, and the N30 is what I personally wanted N8ii to be. Very happy buyer here 🎉

Aug 31, 2023 at 4:30 PM Post #577 of 2,982
I have been spending a bit more time with the demo unit before I send it back tomorrow. Here's some more random unorganized thoughts and impressions.

I’m assuming this will be addressed with FW updates (if it isn’t battery calibration) but I’ve noticed the battery drain when the device is off seems significant. Taken off of the charger at 11am - 100%, device powered on at 1pm and it was at 94% battery. May be likely due to battery calibration? I am not sure how many hours or charges this unit has.

The sound, argh. It's very likely that this just happens to hit my preferences so as always please take my opinions with a grain of salt. But wow, I am absolutely in love with the presentation this DAP brings. To my ears this is one of the finest DS DAC implementations I have heard, period. Most if not all of the AK4499 implementations I heard I wasn't really a fan of as I always associated them with his overly smooth sound that didn't quite have defined note edges or transients, it felt like someone had spilled a bottle of lube over the track giving it this sort of artificial characteristic. It always sounded nice to me but not quite realistic and too smooth. That is not the case here at all. While it isn't a reference sounding DAP, there is a wonderful flavor of warmth coupled with something that doesn't feel like it's lacking in technicals at all or bringing a drastic coloration, it is very tastefully done. I find myself being wow'd by the bass texture, the fullness, the emotive mid range and vocals, the inoffensive but highly detailed treble while simultaneously obsessing over the vast open soundstage and top class dynamics and exceptional PRaT. The entire presentation just feels effortless.

I try not to "hype" things. This is one of the most expensive products (and the most expensive DAP) I've ever bought in the 15 years I've been in this hobby, so my expectations were sky high. On paper this device looks more or less perfect and I felt my own (perhaps unrealistic?) expectations might not have been met. This is why even though I had already pre ordered I had asked to demo one beforehand if it was possible, because if it wasn't bringing something to me worth it's very hefty price tag then I would have canceled the order. The fact I feel my own expectations have been met, and then some, just shows how I much I am enjoying what this has to offer. There is nothing like this on the market that can bring this level of performance in a package that still feels relatively "portable". I am even more excited now to receive my own unit in the following days, and I can't wait for everyone else to get theirs to see other thoughts and impressions. :)
Worth noting that AK4499 is not /really/ a delta-sigma DAC. It’s actually multi-bit. True DS DACs are single-bit output (like what’s in Cayin N7), whereas multi-bit DACs output several bits.

You may be familiar with Burr Brown chips like PCM1794, PCM1704, etc. These used an “advanced segment” topology, where X bits were output as the original sampling rate using an R2R ladder or switched resistors (the most significant bits, or MSB), and the remaining Y bits were resampled to high rate 1-bit delta-signs stream.

AK4499 actually resamples the entire stream to a 7-bit “delta sigma” stream at extremely high sampling rates, then outputs this using precision switched resistors. I put “delta sigma” in quotes here because DS traditionally uses a single bit, and this is using the same concept but at multi-bit width.

So what you get here is multi-bit advantage with switched resistor tonality and delta-sigma precision. It’s a fantastic hybrid.

Now on why most of the AK4499EQ simply wasn’t out long enough for good implementations to show up, since there was a factory fire. Up until recently, AKM has kept a very tight control on how partners implemented their AK4499EX follow-up chipset to ensure their products retained AKM’s concept of a “velvet sound.” This includes enforcing standards for how output stages were implemented. SP3000 and Lotoo Mjolnir are the only two devices I’m aware of being available currently which use AK4499EX without being beholden to AKM’s restrictions.

Now of course, Cayin is using AK4499EQ and isn’t beholden to any restrictions other than the limited availability of AK4499EQ. And they’ve likely had this chips for a very long time and have been able to tune their design to maximize what the chip can do. And the chip can do a lot, I would argue it and AK4499EX are the absolutely most capable DAC chips available right now.

I’ll stop rambling now.

Aug 31, 2023 at 4:36 PM Post #579 of 2,982
Worth noting that AK4499 is not /really/ a delta-sigma DAC. It’s actually multi-bit. True DS DACs are single-bit output (like what’s in Cayin N7), whereas multi-bit DACs output several bits.

You may be familiar with Burr Brown chips like PCM1794, PCM1704, etc. These used an “advanced segment” topology, where X bits were output as the original sampling rate using an R2R ladder or switched resistors (the most significant bits, or MSB), and the remaining Y bits were resampled to high rate 1-bit delta-signs stream.

AK4499 actually resamples the entire stream to a 7-bit “delta sigma” stream at extremely high sampling rates, then outputs this using precision switched resistors. I put “delta sigma” in quotes here because DS traditionally uses a single bit, and this is using the same concept but at multi-bit width.

So what you get here is multi-bit advantage with switched resistor tonality and delta-sigma precision. It’s a fantastic hybrid.

Now on why most of the AK4499EQ simply wasn’t out long enough for good implementations to show up, since there was a factory fire. Up until recently, AKM has kept a very tight control on how partners implemented their AK4499EX follow-up chipset to ensure their products retained AKM’s concept of a “velvet sound.” This includes enforcing standards for how output stages were implemented. SP3000 and Lotoo Mjolnir are the only two devices I’m aware of being available currently which use AK4499EX without being beholden to AKM’s restrictions.

Now of course, Cayin is using AK4499EQ and isn’t beholden to any restrictions other than the limited availability of AK4499EQ. And they’ve likely had this chips for a very long time and have been able to tune their design to maximize what the chip can do. And the chip can do a lot, I would argue it and AK4499EX are the absolutely most capable DAC chips available right now.

I’ll stop rambling now.

I appreciate the insight! Excuse my incorrect word choice. I hope the general point I was trying to make still stands, as that’s really what I feel is most important in this context.

I’m a big fan of the new 4499EX chips, prior to N30 I’d say I found the overall implementation of those on what I have heard to far to be superior to any 4499. Regardless, DAC chips don’t mean much to me if I’m honest, as long as when I push play I like what I’m hearing :)

Aug 31, 2023 at 5:08 PM Post #580 of 2,982
It would be great if somebody could compare the sound to RS8 with Darwin Ultra on

Soon! Ti-buddy in waiting.

DSC_0023.png

Aug 31, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #581 of 2,982
I have also added next day delivery, lol. This one leaves my possession tomorrow and I want my own unit asap. You are going to love it, it’s not as neutral or transparent as 320Max Ti, and it’s not trying to be, but I firmly believe there’s an artistic skill set needed to tune something that’s able to make music feel like music while maintaining a very high degree of technicality too. I find most DAPs tilt one way or the other, this sits in a very good medium for me.

At the end of the day synergy is also everything, there’s some IEMs I prefer from something like my iPhone dongle over a TOTL dap, but for what I have at the moment N30 is outstanding. I had my N8ii for about 9 months, and the N30 is what I personally wanted N8ii to be. Very happy buyer here 🎉

I've always trusted your ears since we share similar listening styes and from your impressions, N30LE sounds tuned to my preferences – musical with high degree of technicality – not neutral, transparent or reference as N8ii, 320MAX and SP3K. Like yourself, this is the most expensive DAP I've ever bought since I've been in this hobby and expectations were also sky high. I was was going to skip but Cayin finds way to lasso me back in. Yahoo!!! 🤠🎉

Aug 31, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #582 of 2,982

Just a follow up here, I powered the DAP on again after a few hours of no use and the battery % is the same as where I ended my last listening session. I’m assuming it’s just display/battery calibration related and will go away with some cycles. :)

Aug 31, 2023 at 7:07 PM Post #583 of 2,982
Just a follow up here, I powered the DAP on again after a few hours of no use and the battery % is the same as where I ended my last listening session. I’m assuming it’s just display/battery calibration related and will go away with some cycles. :)
Who knows. My N8ii reads 100% until suddenly its dead and needs charged :p Battery indicators are not Cayin's strongsuit. LOL

Aug 31, 2023 at 10:47 PM Post #585 of 2,982

Is this impressions based on hyper mode?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back