Cayin N30LE DAP: A Transformative Milestone (30th Anniv. Limited Edition)
Mar 28, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #2,896 of 2,935
My apologies if this is a stupid question, but I am not very familiar with the open Android operating system and Cayin DAPs. I have had AK DAPs in the past. I have been using the basic features, but have not been able to find an equalizer. Does Cayin not have one?
There's no system wide Equalizer as you are used to with A&K DAPs.
Are you listening mostly to
- local music: use Cayin or Hiby App or other 3rd party apps like UApp or Neutron etc
- Tidal: use UApp app
- Qobuz: use UApp app
- Apple Music: I think they meanwhile offer some equalizer inside of the app

Mar 28, 2024 at 3:44 PM Post #2,897 of 2,935
There's no system wide Equalizer as you are used to with A&K DAPs.
Are you listening mostly to
- local music: use Cayin or Hiby App or other 3rd party apps like UApp or Neutron etc
- Tidal: use UApp app
- Qobuz: use UApp app
- Apple Music: I think they meanwhile offer some equalizer inside of the app
Thank you for the explanation. I am so far using the DAP with a combination of Hiby app for local music and Qobuz for streaming. I will get the UApp. I thought I must be missing something, as I just assumed that Cayin surely must have an equalizer like AK. I do not typically use equalization, but wanted to try with some IEMs that are a little bass light for my taste.

Mar 28, 2024 at 3:55 PM Post #2,898 of 2,935
Thank you for the explanation. I am so far using the DAP with a combination of Hiby app for local music and Qobuz for streaming. I will get the UApp. I thought I must be missing something, as I just assumed that Cayin surely must have an equalizer like AK. I do not typically use equalization, but wanted to try with some IEMs that are a little bass light for my taste.
It's now some time I sold my N30LE but I just remembered that both Cayin and Hiby app can be connected to Qobuz too btw and sometimes you also get song texts there if track is in the internet database.
UApp nevertheless is a solid choice on all of my Open Android DAPs over the years, so nothing wrong to try it

Apr 5, 2024 at 12:13 PM Post #2,901 of 2,935
Hey folks. I've noticed an uptick in the slo mo music bug w/ 1.4 firmware (using Spotify). Does anyone else share this experience?

Apr 5, 2024 at 12:19 PM Post #2,902 of 2,935
I'm still trying to understand how the different gain and voltage modes work. Sorry for the noob question: I know of course that "best" is always subjective, but is there an "objective" combination of settings (gain, voltage, filter, etc.) that provides "authentic" sound reproduction for a particular IEM?

My guess: there is no such thing and it's just a question of preference as to which settings you like. I don't think gain, voltage etc. falsify the sound in any way, they are just different ways of sound reproduction.

The point is: I'm more of a purist and I want to understand what the "thing" is.

Opinions?

Apr 5, 2024 at 12:34 PM Post #2,903 of 2,935
I'm still trying to understand how the different gain and voltage modes work. Sorry for the noob question: I know of course that "best" is always subjective, but is there an "objective" combination of settings (gain, voltage, filter, etc.) that provides "authentic" sound reproduction for a particular IEM?

My guess: there is no such thing and it's just a question of preference as to which settings you like. I don't think gain, voltage etc. falsify the sound in any way, they are just different ways of sound reproduction.

The point is: I'm more of a purist and I want to understand what the "thing" is.

Opinions?
I would say Class A, SS + whatever gain setting you need to keep vol below 50. I have a hard time determining difference between Class A/AB.

All other mode combinations (including Hyper and P+) will alter the iem signature imo. For example, P+ makes the IEM even more punchy and vivid. To be fair, the N30 has it's own signature. I would try a Lotoo or Chord Hugo 2 to get the 'purist IEM' sound.

Apr 5, 2024 at 12:45 PM Post #2,904 of 2,935
Hey folks. I've noticed an uptick in the slo mo music bug w/ 1.4 firmware (using Spotify). Does anyone else share this experience?

Just curious, any dependency on this happening more often when N30LE is getting warmer or maybe during the playback while you are charging (making the DAP get warmer)?

Apr 5, 2024 at 12:54 PM Post #2,905 of 2,935
Just curious, any dependency on this happening more often when N30LE is getting warmer or maybe during the playback while you are charging (making the DAP get warmer)?
hmmm. I don't think so, I don't listen/charge at the same time as I don't want the unit to get too hot. I generally discharge the player to 50%, then charge overnight. I use a Lenovo 65W laptop charger. The DAP gets to a 'normal' amount of heat when playing music, doesn't deviate from previous usage.

The slo mo occurs when (Spotify, Apple Music):
1. I've left the player paused for 30 min or so w/ my IEMs in the jack, then I put IEMs in my ear, turn on the screen and press play side button.
2. I've left the player not connected to any IEMs, paused overnight, then put IEMs in my ear, press play side button, then turn on screen.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2024 at 1:11 PM Post #2,906 of 2,935
I would say Class A, SS + whatever gain setting you need to keep vol below 50. I have a hard time determining difference between Class A/AB.

All other mode combinations (including Hyper and P+) will alter the iem signature imo. For example, P+ makes the IEM even more punchy and vivid. To be fair, the N30 has it's own signature. I would try a Lotoo or Chord Hugo 2 to get the 'purist IEM' sound.
Great, thank you for the answer.

What you write makes perfect sense. With SS (without P+ and Hyper) the N30 sounds similar to the DX320Max. P+ and Hyper are actually quite different, but the question here is whether the DX320Max has less voltage and so less power in comparison and therefore doesn't sound the same. It would be interesting to compare the N30 at P+ / Hyper with a much more powerful DAC/AMP to see if they sound similar. Among other things, I also clearly hear more resolution with P+, and with DD drivers the bass for example sounds much better (tighter, punchier, airier, more resolving). So I don't know to what extent the more voltage would alter the sound.

I have never had the slo mo. Stupid question: have you tried a factory reset? Or did you do updates via updates, which I always found bad from experience with other devices.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2024 at 1:27 PM Post #2,907 of 2,935
Great, thank you for the answer.

What you write makes perfect sense. With SS (without P+ and Hyper) the N30 sounds similar to the DX320Max. P+ and Hyper are actually quite different, but the question here is whether the DX320Max has less voltage and so less power in comparison and therefore doesn't sound the same. It would be interesting to compare the N30 at P+ / Hyper with a much more powerful DAC/AMP to see if they sound similar. Among other things, I also clearly hear more resolution with P+, and with DD drivers the bass for example sounds much better (tighter, punchier, airier, more resolving). So I don't know to what extent the more voltage would alter the sound.

I have never had the slo mo. Stupid question: have you tried a factory reset? Or did you do updates via updates, which I always found bad from experience with other devices.
Sure no problem! I did the updates via OTA. Haven't tried a factory reset yet, the issue isn't bad enough for me to do that yet haha. Reinstalling apps and such from a factory reset take some time, maybe I'll do that later if this issue keeps cropping up.

I love these different modes, getting lots of different signatures, especially with DD iems. What I've found is Hyper isn't always best for some IEMs. But I still prefer Amber Pearl w/ Hyper mode engaged.

Apr 5, 2024 at 1:44 PM Post #2,908 of 2,935
Sure no problem! I did the updates via OTA. Haven't tried a factory reset yet, the issue isn't bad enough for me to do that yet haha. Reinstalling apps and such from a factory reset take some time, maybe I'll do that later if this issue keeps cropping up.

I love these different modes, getting lots of different signatures, especially with DD iems. What I've found is Hyper isn't always best for some IEMs. But I still prefer Amber Pearl w/ Hyper mode engaged.
Then I strongly recommend to start with a factory reset (from the boot menu) and check again.

I haven't used Hyper yet, I've stuck with P+ from now. I have listened to it again. I somehow don't have the impression that the sound is unnatural. As mentioned, I generally hear more resolution, more stage, more dynamics etc. I don't know enough about this to say whether this is a alteration as can be the case with filters. According to the logic, only more power is supplied by voltage.

Apr 5, 2024 at 8:02 PM Post #2,909 of 2,935
Happy to say I got a new N30 LE case. Need to try it out later since travelling. 👍
IMG_8504.jpeg
IMG_8503.jpeg

Apr 6, 2024 at 7:55 AM Post #2,910 of 2,935

Users who are viewing this thread

Back