Cayin iHA-8: Fully Balanced "Hyper" Class-A Headphone Amplifier
Apr 2, 2024 at 1:38 PM Post #91 of 112
Gee sorry you don’t know about Mexico City water shortage, maybe it’s too late to help your fellow country, good luck. It’s a dry spring.
We're doing fine, you worry about your and we worry about us, just watch out that your public health system doesn't euthanize you against your will.

Apr 2, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #92 of 112
We're doing fine, you worry about your and we worry about us, just watch out that your public health system doesn't euthanize you against your will.
Good to know everything is peachy in Mexico City, no concern needed from anybody, got it. Cheers from great white north, and enjoy the hyper boost

Apr 2, 2024 at 6:31 PM Post #94 of 112
@Whazzzup It’s clearly more than a watt unless you don’t believe in balanced !?!
Well yes, if you're plugging in your HP on the SE jack, it's going to be much less and it could play a role, there's a couple of HP I own that are only SE but they're really easy to drive so that's not an issue.

Apr 2, 2024 at 7:09 PM Post #95 of 112
Well yes, if you're plugging in your HP on the SE jack, it's going to be much less and it could play a role, there's a couple of HP I own that are only SE but they're really easy to drive so that's not an issue.
I was mostly talking to @Whazzzup just piggybacking off your post. Also what headphone is only SE that even remotely requires power greater than the specs posted ? None it doesn’t exist you just need an 1/4 to xlr adapter anyway.

Apr 2, 2024 at 7:18 PM Post #96 of 112
I was mostly talking to @Whazzzup just piggybacking off your post. Also what headphone is only SE that even remotely requires power greater than the specs posted ? None it doesn’t exist you just need an 1/4 to xlr adapter anyway.
Theoretically speaking a DT880 600ohm unmodded, like yes sound it's going to come out these cans but it's going to be very lacking imho running them single ended only like they come out of the box, but you would certainly benefit if you could run them balanced, like my modded DT880s, granted it's kind of a extreme case and many people don't like the sound of these cans anyways.

Apr 3, 2024 at 3:15 AM Post #97 of 112
I have a question regarding the iDAC-8 and iHA-8 pairing, I saw on the iDAP-8 and iDAC-8 thread that the iDAC when used as a pre-amp can provide up to 12v through it's balance outputs, my question is if the iHA-8 can handle those voltages if I decided to use this amp in it's pre mode without distorting if I decide to pair them together?.
I'm also excited for Hyper mode but even more excited for the iDAP-8 pairing with this amp given that this DAC can output up to 12v when used in it's pre-amp mode and if this amp can handle those voltages when use also in conjunction with it's pre mode engage, that is making this HP amp into a pure power amp, then it means that you will be able to get more gain from this pairing without distorting, but need confirmation from @Andykong if this is indeed the case.
The maximum output of the iDAC-8 pre-amp output is 12V at balanced XLR, the iHA-8 works well with iDAC-8 when you connect them into a pre-power setup properly, we have tested this repeatedly,

However, this is completely different from feeding a fixed voltage 12V input to the iHA-8 at pre-input mode. This sounds incredible or even infeasible, but I must warn everyone upfront that this is not what we designed the amplifier for. In the past, balanced fixed voltage line-out were somewhere between 2V to 4V, but now we have DAC that deliver 6V or even 8V line-out, causing a lot of amplifiers to perform inadequately (lack of headroom, compressed dynamic, higher distortion, ....)

I am not sure if this is what you have in mind, I hope not and I am more than happy when I am proven wrong. I just want to steer the customers away if our product is not going to meet their needs/intended usage.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 3, 2024 at 3:21 AM Post #98 of 112
@Whazzzup It’s clearly more than a watt unless you don’t believe in balanced !?!
The problem is not whether we can deliver more than a watt. The more important problem is how we "mislead" the market when we published the specification and functional diagram in such detail. I thought Cayin had been as transparent as possible when we described our product.

Apr 3, 2024 at 3:27 AM Post #99 of 112
The problem is not whether we can deliver more than a watt. The more important problem is how we "mislead" the market when we published the specification and functional diagram in such detail. I thought Cayin had been as transparent as possible when we described our product.
Cayin is one of the more transparent manufacturers, and you do a great job on the forums Andy, explaining things to members. There will always be a few people who look for problems and cannot be satisfied. :wink:

Apr 3, 2024 at 3:27 AM Post #100 of 112
Apr 3, 2024 at 6:21 AM Post #101 of 112
Oops sorry for misleading with misled. Please carry on enjoy the hyper,

Apr 3, 2024 at 11:48 AM Post #102 of 112
The maximum output of the iDAC-8 pre-amp output is 12V at balanced XLR, the iHA-8 works well with iDAC-8 when you connect them into a pre-power setup properly, we have tested this repeatedly,

However, this is completely different from feeding a fixed voltage 12V input to the iHA-8 at pre-input mode. This sounds incredible or even infeasible, but I must warn everyone upfront that this is not what we designed the amplifier for. In the past, balanced fixed voltage line-out were somewhere between 2V to 4V, but now we have DAC that deliver 6V or even 8V line-out, causing a lot of amplifiers to perform inadequately (lack of headroom, compressed dynamic, higher distortion, ....)

I am not sure if this is what you have in mind, I hope not and I am more than happy when I am proven wrong. I just want to steer the customers away if our product is not going to meet their needs/intended usage.8
Thanks for the response, so given this information, would you say it is better, or more optimal, to leave the iHA-8 in pre mode and use the the iDAP-8 as a pre-amp for this set-up, or there's no difference or the difference is really minimal, if there's any at all?

Apr 3, 2024 at 2:12 PM Post #103 of 112
Thanks for the response, so given this information, would you say it is better, or more optimal, to leave the iHA-8 in pre mode and use the the iDAP-8 as a pre-amp for this set-up, or there's no difference or the difference is really minimal, if there's any at all?

We are now moving from the objective technical explanation to subjective preference, I'll leave this to the reviewers and users so please stay tuned "patiently". :beerchug:

Apr 3, 2024 at 8:41 PM Post #104 of 112
I'm glad this thread has gotten some play lately because I totally forgot this was coming to market, and I'm maybe in the market for a new smaller form factor SS desktop amp. I currently use a Schiit Jotunheim 2 (w/ ES9028 DAC card that's been unused since getting a DAC in August), and would prefer something not too much bigger than that as I strongly prefer gear with a smaller footprint for a simple headphone-only rig.

Apr 3, 2024 at 8:48 PM Post #105 of 112
I'm glad this thread has gotten some play lately because I totally forgot this was coming to market, and I'm maybe in the market for a new smaller form factor SS desktop amp. I currently use a Schiit Jotunheim 2 (w/ ES9028 DAC card that's been unused since getting a DAC in August), and would prefer something not too much bigger than that as I strongly prefer gear with a smaller footprint for a simple headphone-only rig.
Yeah, this or the HA-2A are what I'm eyeing as well to match with their iDAC-8. Zach over at ZMF said he has a video planned for the HA-2A soonish, but really there are no detailed impressions or reviews for any of Cayin's new releases yet. Also, think I like the black version of Cayin's stuff more, so I may end up having to wait regardless.

Hopefully we hear something soon. I've been curious for a while, now. My Tungsten's need something more than the Jotunheim 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back