Cayin iHA-6 - US Tour and reviews
May 30, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #691 of 751
I don't think the noise stems from interference, to be honest. It definitely sounds like the noise floor of the amp because it's a steady hiss/white noise. I have experienced this same issue when using sensitive headphones with speaker amps in the past. I'm starting to wonder if it's something to do with the conversion of a single-ended input to a balanced output. The noise goes away completely when I click the input selection button and change to the balanced input.

May 30, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #692 of 751
I might mention that my gears reside on a custom wood and steel rack on my desk and there is about 6 inches space between components.
I don't like stacking gear!

That said, there is a big PC under the desk and 2 large monitors on the desk as well as an IP phone.
It's likely that I might hear some noise if the iHA-6 were susceptible to it.
I'll chime in again on that note.

My gear is all with my PC. I have my big case on my desk. 2 monitors and then my amps,dacs are under my monitor. My DAC is on its own but then I have an XLR switch box as well as an RCA switch box. My amps are the iha-6 and I have the liquid platinum stacked on top of it.

The only noise I get is when I plug a tube amp in nearby due to the PC noise.

My PC tower is about 2 feet from my gear, so far enough. I do use a ups for my PC and surge protector for my audio gear (separate outlet). I'm actually looking to get a fairly inexpensive Furlan power conditioner surge protector. Probably one that's around $50 as I don't fully buy into needing several $$$ spent on that.

I also organize my cables and hide them away. If I don't get noise out of the Cayin with all of this then I'd say it does it's job.

Definitely try another outlet to see. Noise is a finiky thing to troubleshoot!

May 30, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #693 of 751
I don't think the noise stems from interference, to be honest. It definitely sounds like the noise floor of the amp because it's a steady hiss/white noise. I have experienced this same issue when using sensitive headphones with speaker amps in the past. I'm starting to wonder if it's something to do with the conversion of a single-ended input to a balanced output. The noise goes away completely when I click the input selection button and change to the balanced input.
Oh also, I use both the SE and XLR inputs on the back of the amp to my DAC. I agree you could always try the xlr balanced inputs to see if that matters. Neither of mine produce noise to my headphones. Have you reached out to Cayin yet just in case it is the amp?

May 30, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #694 of 751
Oh also, I use both the SE and XLR inputs on the back of the amp to my DAC. I agree you could always try the xlr balanced inputs to see if that matters. Neither of mine produce noise to my headphones. Have you reached out to Cayin yet just in case it is the amp?
I haven't contacted Cayin because I bought the amp used. I may reach out to them if I can't figure it out though.

May 30, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #695 of 751
I haven't contacted Cayin because I bought the amp used. I may reach out to them if I can't figure it out though.
I have had this amp for about a year. I also have a Cayin tube amp. This amp is a dead silent background in my use. I think your may have a defective amp or you have something producing RF nearby. Of course there is always the possibility of your wall power causing this problem. These noise problems are not easy to track down. Check with Cayin they offer very good support. If the amp is ok then it is time to start looking at connections and possibly a power conditioner.

May 30, 2023 at 8:52 PM Post #696 of 751
Ok, I tried a few things this evening to narrow down the noise. I took the amp to another room and also tried a different power cord, but neither affected the noise level whatsoever.

I did discover that the high impedance single-ended jack is silent. All the other outputs that I tried (low ohm SE and 4-pin XLR) have the noise unless I select the XLR input. In all cases the noise is much louder in high gain. The noise is loudest on high gain out of the 4-pin XLR jack.

I noticed the voltage is selectable on my iHA-6, 230V or 115V. I’m in the US, so I have it set at 115V. I’ve seen pictures of the back panel of amps sold in the US that don’t have user-selectable voltage. I’m wondering if there have been different versions of the amp sold in the US or if I have a unit that wasn’t originally meant to be used in the US. Here’s what mine looks like:
6214A800-9525-4AB5-983E-14310818B2A0.jpeg

Last edited:
May 30, 2023 at 10:31 PM Post #697 of 751
If I remember correctly (and that's a big if), the early versions had selectable voltage, which was later eliminated on future runs. Not sure it would really make a difference one way or another, and I assumed it was perhaps a cost saving measure as Cayin built a more defined dealer network in specific countries.

Have you messed with the gain and current settings to see if that changes anything? Maybe you mentioned that already but I missed it.

May 30, 2023 at 11:33 PM Post #698 of 751
If I remember correctly (and that's a big if), the early versions had selectable voltage, which was later eliminated on future runs. Not sure it would really make a difference one way or another, and I assumed it was perhaps a cost saving measure as Cayin built a more defined dealer network in specific countries.

Have you messed with the gain and current settings to see if that changes anything? Maybe you mentioned that already but I missed it.
Yes, the current (high or low) setting affects the noise. Strangely, the loudest combination is low gain, low current. Second loudest is high gain, high current. The combination of low gain, high current is what I use for the Elite, and the noise floor is audible but not distractingly loud. I am getting all kinds of noise now, even if the XLR input is selected and I mess with the gain and current settings.

I’m really starting to think something is wrong with the amp at this point. The only useable mode without distracting background noise is low gain, high current. I’m going to reach out to the guy I bought the amp from and see how the amp performed for him. It might have been damaged during shipping for all I know.

@Andykong, Any idea if I can get some help from Cayin if I’m not the original owner of the amp?

Last edited:
May 31, 2023 at 3:33 AM Post #699 of 751
Ok, I tried a few things this evening to narrow down the noise. I took the amp to another room and also tried a different power cord, but neither affected the noise level whatsoever.

I did discover that the high impedance single-ended jack is silent. All the other outputs that I tried (low ohm SE and 4-pin XLR) have the noise unless I select the XLR input. In all cases the noise is much louder in high gain. The noise is loudest on high gain out of the 4-pin XLR jack.

I noticed the voltage is selectable on my iHA-6, 230V or 115V. I’m in the US, so I have it set at 115V. I’ve seen pictures of the back panel of amps sold in the US that don’t have user-selectable voltage. I’m wondering if there have been different versions of the amp sold in the US or if I have a unit that wasn’t originally meant to be used in the US. Here’s what mine looks like:
6214A800-9525-4AB5-983E-14310818B2A0.jpeg
There was this from a while ago

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cayin-iha-6-us-tour-and-reviews.797581/page-7#post-12669936

May 31, 2023 at 8:02 AM Post #700 of 751
May 31, 2023 at 8:21 AM Post #702 of 751
The seller has offered to buy it back from me, but I would really like to get it working. I don't think the voltage switch is the issue now that I know it is an amp that was meant to be used in the US. I was just afraid I was using a version meant to be used somewhere else in the world.

Edit: I just reached out to @zach915m at ZMF to see if I have any options for repair in the US versus sending the amp all the way to China. Fingers crossed...

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2023 at 12:09 AM Post #703 of 751
Zach at ZMF recommended I contact Cayin support directly. I emailed them, and unfortunately to get any repairs done on the amp I would have to mail it to them in China. I don’t think I want to deal with that hassle though. At this point, I will probably sell the amp back to the guy I bought it from. It’s too bad, because I really wanted to keep the it.

Jun 2, 2023 at 4:42 AM Post #704 of 751
I’ve read the power output on high current is less than on low. What scenario is it best to use high current settings.

Currently using Focals, DCA Aeon2 Noire, Quad Era-1, Fostex Th900 mk2, AKG Q701, Avantone Pro Planar headphones. Up until now I’ve always had amp on high current.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2023 at 1:04 AM Post #705 of 751
I’ve read the power output on high current is less than on low. What scenario is it best to use high current settings.

Currently using Focals, DCA Aeon2 Noire, Quad Era-1, Fostex Th900 mk2, AKG Q701, Avantone Pro Planar headphones. Up until now I’ve always had amp on high current.
High current is best with planars and low impedance dynamics. I can’t tell the difference between low and high current with my 300-ohm ZMF Auteur, so I just leave it on high current all the time since my other headphones are planar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back