Cayin HA-6A Class A KT88/EL34 Tube Headphone Amplifier
Sep 15, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #331 of 1,944
@Relaxasaurus got his back, and it was the same.
Still waiting for @kimdeug to receive his I think.
On my side, I will keep mine unless there is an official recall from the company.

i am enjoying thisway too much to let it go for month , with no guarantee that the problem is solved

Don't know if you noticed but i did put tube dampers on the pream tubes and it definitely helped with microphonics and weird noises
It also could be burn in because the hiss doesn't bother me as much as before.
Or Maybe im used to it i don't know

Honestly, the amp is silent with the very sensitive utopia in single ended mode on mid setting.

I have to concentrate hard to hear the hiss.but i can hear it.
Balanced it is noticeable, only without music.but i can hear it between tracks.

As you can see from my previous post i am enjoying almost all the functions of the amp.

To me I only have to put my headphones on and fire up this baby to know it is a end game setup
Congratulation my friend.

Utopia is my one of favorite and on radar too.
Very nice combo setup and awesome choice.
My unit is still on repair in Auckland/Local repair shop.
Will post update here when receive.

OMG. More Expenses are coming: GTX 3090, Utopia, and RAV4 Prime hybrid
Doing the brainstorm now I can make it happens to afford all of them:))

Regards,
Kim

Sep 16, 2020 at 8:34 AM Post #332 of 1,944
hello my friends,

as teased....

and with his friends...

As you can see, I saw a used first hand utopia... and the price was correct, so I couldn't resist XD
damn that hobby... :)

I was a bit hesitant because of the hiss issue, and the focals high sensitivity.

But I'm glad I took my chance here.

I'm putting this out of the table now, yes I can hear hiss in balanced medium setting. In single ended, I can barely hear it.
I would say the level is about the same as I get with my HD650

To be honest , the hiss doesn't bother me anymore, Now that I have understood how this amp behaves.

I am in audio Bliss right now.

I want to say, the pairing is really good because of what I am hearing right now, but I dont't have that much points of reference to compare to.
I will try my asgard 3 and my marantz HD-Dac1 as well later.

I will try my best to describe what I am hearing now with the HA-6a equipped with 6l6wgc blackplates and sylvania 6189. SE out and impedance switch on the mid setting.
My point of reference will be My Hifiman Arya, that I know well and love.

First thing I hear, is the soundstage is more Intimate than my arya, but in no way small or congested. I am still hearing far out of my head, just not as big .
layering is incredible, instruments placement is far better than the arya. Everything sounds more in focus, spatial information are better resolved.
In comparison, my arya sounds wider,airier and more distant, also more blurry, but not in an unpleasant way,and also a lot bigger

Tonality is spot on, in fact very close to the arya's, I'm not good at describing tonality differences, but what I hear is a fuller midrange,a lot of details, and very good treble, I don't experience any harshness. Cimbals are amazing
Bass is incredibly impactful, maybe not as deep as the planar, but , more body in the mid bass, drums impact are great. It is not lacking in any way, and I am very satisfied.

Timbre and transients are great, microdynamics and plankton are insane, but here aryas are no slouch either.

Please take this as my personal experience, and I am not yet out of the honeymoon period....

My aryas are not going anywhere yet. I think the focal is better, but the aryas is different, I still love it and it is really confy, and not fatiguing, long listening sessions goes like nothing with them.

Now I will try to describe how the amp interacts with the utopia,

I think the mid setting for impedance matching, gives a subtle boost in the low end, but it could be placebo. Sounds great on the L impedance setting as well ( with a blacker background )

The utopia's are really sensitive, about 3 to 4 clicks will give a plenty loud experience ! ( cayin please do a low gain option )
Switching from triode to ultralinear, the sound seems a bit cleaner,I gain punch and attack, But the sound stage become more "in-your face ".

Very nice indeed playing "long distance calling - aurora", when the drums kicks in, my head starts bobbing on it's own :)

Now between single ended and balanced connection, this is a tricky one...differences are subtle, but are there, SE has less noise, but seems a tiny bit muddier in the lower mids. Balanced Out has a bit more gain, and seems cleaner with more impact.
It is tricky because it is really hard to have both outputs volume matched.

the utopia made those differences appear, I have to try the RCA IN vs XLR ( using those now )

Power tube rolling :

Switching to the provided Gold Lions KT88

I get a crispier top end and the presentation becomes more impactful, also drier. Mid range "magik" is a bit gone especially In UL. Better in Triode but not el34 level. Overall this sounds more like good solid state to me. Good EDM is great in UL mode , a bit too piercing with heavy Metal music, very satisying on nicely mastered songs.
Bass is super tight and digs deep.

didn't like the provided EH el34 at all, shrill sounding and unpleasant mids

Switching to JJ EL34

Fuller mid bass and mids in general, top end seems rolled off a bit, great soundstage, pleasant sound overall, on the warm side of the force, especially in triode.
Bass is big and rounder, not as controlled.
Vocals are warm with plenty of texture, female vocals are gorgeous , here you get that tube sound !

Back to 6L6WGC blackplates

Best of both world IMO. Great details and imaging, a bit less full than the el 34, great extension on the top, natural tonality, tight bass, very good imaging.
It has also very good "drive" and "attack".

To sum things up, I love My new toy, but I am amazed at how well the aryas was holding the comparison. Still like the bigger/more distant/less precise stage for some stuff ( If someone here likes SUNN 0)) you should try with the arya... ).
I think the pairing with this amp and the utopia is great, the sound is incredibly full, and so precise.
I'll test my other amps as well to see how it compares.

Here you go folks. Thank you for reading until the end, excuse me If it was difficult to read, english is not my native language...

best

greg

Quick questions, upto the point where you stated "Power tube rolling : Switching to the provided Gold Lions KT88", the impression is based on stock KT88?

I assume you only receive the amplifier couple of days before you share your impression?

You didn't mention the Kennerton Magni, it didn't pair well with HA-6A? Kennerton Thror is one of my reference headphone and I like it with HA-6A (KT88). I assume the Magni pairs well with HA-6A but since I didn't heart it before, I might be wrong.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 16, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #333 of 1,944
hello my friends,

as teased....

and with his friends...

As you can see, I saw a used first hand utopia... and the price was correct, so I couldn't resist XD
damn that hobby... :)

I was a bit hesitant because of the hiss issue, and the focals high sensitivity.

But I'm glad I took my chance here.

I'm putting this out of the table now, yes I can hear hiss in balanced medium setting. In single ended, I can barely hear it.
I would say the level is about the same as I get with my HD650

To be honest , the hiss doesn't bother me anymore, Now that I have understood how this amp behaves.

I am in audio Bliss right now.

I want to say, the pairing is really good because of what I am hearing right now, but I dont't have that much points of reference to compare to.
I will try my asgard 3 and my marantz HD-Dac1 as well later.

I will try my best to describe what I am hearing now with the HA-6a equipped with 6l6wgc blackplates and sylvania 6189. SE out and impedance switch on the mid setting.
My point of reference will be My Hifiman Arya, that I know well and love.

First thing I hear, is the soundstage is more Intimate than my arya, but in no way small or congested. I am still hearing far out of my head, just not as big .
layering is incredible, instruments placement is far better than the arya. Everything sounds more in focus, spatial information are better resolved.
In comparison, my arya sounds wider,airier and more distant, also more blurry, but not in an unpleasant way,and also a lot bigger

Tonality is spot on, in fact very close to the arya's, I'm not good at describing tonality differences, but what I hear is a fuller midrange,a lot of details, and very good treble, I don't experience any harshness. Cimbals are amazing
Bass is incredibly impactful, maybe not as deep as the planar, but , more body in the mid bass, drums impact are great. It is not lacking in any way, and I am very satisfied.

Timbre and transients are great, microdynamics and plankton are insane, but here aryas are no slouch either.

Please take this as my personal experience, and I am not yet out of the honeymoon period....

My aryas are not going anywhere yet. I think the focal is better, but the aryas is different, I still love it and it is really confy, and not fatiguing, long listening sessions goes like nothing with them.

Now I will try to describe how the amp interacts with the utopia,

I think the mid setting for impedance matching, gives a subtle boost in the low end, but it could be placebo. Sounds great on the L impedance setting as well ( with a blacker background )

The utopia's are really sensitive, about 3 to 4 clicks will give a plenty loud experience ! ( cayin please do a low gain option )
Switching from triode to ultralinear, the sound seems a bit cleaner,I gain punch and attack, But the sound stage become more "in-your face ".

Very nice indeed playing "long distance calling - aurora", when the drums kicks in, my head starts bobbing on it's own :)

Now between single ended and balanced connection, this is a tricky one...differences are subtle, but are there, SE has less noise, but seems a tiny bit muddier in the lower mids. Balanced Out has a bit more gain, and seems cleaner with more impact.
It is tricky because it is really hard to have both outputs volume matched.

the utopia made those differences appear, I have to try the RCA IN vs XLR ( using those now )

Power tube rolling :

Switching to the provided Gold Lions KT88

I get a crispier top end and the presentation becomes more impactful, also drier. Mid range "magik" is a bit gone especially In UL. Better in Triode but not el34 level. Overall this sounds more like good solid state to me. Good EDM is great in UL mode , a bit too piercing with heavy Metal music, very satisying on nicely mastered songs.
Bass is super tight and digs deep.

didn't like the provided EH el34 at all, shrill sounding and unpleasant mids

Switching to JJ EL34

Fuller mid bass and mids in general, top end seems rolled off a bit, great soundstage, pleasant sound overall, on the warm side of the force, especially in triode.
Bass is big and rounder, not as controlled.
Vocals are warm with plenty of texture, female vocals are gorgeous , here you get that tube sound !

Back to 6L6WGC blackplates

Best of both world IMO. Great details and imaging, a bit less full than the el 34, great extension on the top, natural tonality, tight bass, very good imaging.
It has also very good "drive" and "attack".

To sum things up, I love My new toy, but I am amazed at how well the aryas was holding the comparison. Still like the bigger/more distant/less precise stage for some stuff ( If someone here likes SUNN 0)) you should try with the arya... ).
I think the pairing with this amp and the utopia is great, the sound is incredibly full, and so precise.
I'll test my other amps as well to see how it compares.

Here you go folks. Thank you for reading until the end, excuse me If it was difficult to read, english is not my native language...

best

greg
Thanks a ton for the impressions! Don't know how I missed this post lol. You're right, if Cayin provided a low gain option that would be killer.

Now that winter is coming I can't wait to use this to heat my room again :)

Sep 16, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #334 of 1,944
I've been on the journey for a tube HP amp - long term user of tube amps in 2 channel hi fi (Vintage McIntosh, Prima Luna). Almost went for the Cayin but after reading through this thread, was put off. Checked with the US distributer and even though they insisted upgraded new units were coming in mid-September, couldn't identify what was being "fixed." I do know when it comes to tubes a low noise floor is everything - and what I read here there seems to be a real issue and it's sad the manufacturer doesn't seem to be standing behind the product.

Sep 16, 2020 at 7:41 PM Post #335 of 1,944
Quick questions, upto the point where you stated "Power tube rolling : Switching to the provided Gold Lions KT88", the impression is based on stock KT88?

I assume you only receive the amplifier couple of days before you share your impression?

You didn't mention the Kennerton Magni, it didn't pair well with HA-6A? Kennerton Thror is one of my reference headphone and I like it with HA-6A (KT88). I assume the Magni pairs well with HA-6A but since I didn't heart it before, I might be wrong.

Hi @Andykong

Yes I was talking about the stock Kt88 ( genalex Gold Lions KT88 ) I said "switching to" because my impressions when listening to the utopia was with 6l6 power tubes.

No I have the amp since quite a while now, around march - april I think ( we already talked together on this forum if you can recall ), and the tubes are fully burned in

I didn't talk about the magni, It works well with the HA-6a sound wise, but it is not on the same level as my arya and now utopia.
Comparison wouldn't be fair. And Moreover, it is a closed back headphone.
The real problem is the hiss with the magni, as it is closed back, it makes it really noticeable, especially on the balanced output.
Magni is really super sensitive as well, and I use it mostly at my work with a small topping DX3 dac/amp. I think it is better than the focal elegia ( closed back )

I didn't hear the kennerton Thror yet, I hope to be able to some day. Not easy where I live, I have to go to Paris to be able to listen to some good headphones

Sep 17, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #336 of 1,944
@Andykong

Hey, I have a quick questions for you or the design team

Do you know what is the heater voltage used for the 12AU7 preamp tubes ?

Are they wired for 6.3V or 12.6V operation ?

best

Sep 18, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #337 of 1,944
Seriously thinking about moving on from my current amp and is looking at this particular guy. Can somebody comment on the synergy with the Auteurs? I simply need a better amp for them to bring out the best performance from my headphones. Thanks...

Sep 18, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #338 of 1,944
Seriously thinking about moving on from my current amp and is looking at this particular guy. Can somebody comment on the synergy with the Auteurs? I simply need a better amp for them to bring out the best performance from my headphones. Thanks...
I absolutely love how the Aeolus sounds on this amp. If you don't mind using the single ended out to avoid hiss I think you will be very pleased.

Sep 18, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #340 of 1,944
Wow, I'm reading the the posts about the hiss. Cayin have not addressed this yet because I would prefer to run my Auteurs in balanced mode.
Yes for the moment dont buy at all ,, even if it sound amazing though i didn't hear anything amazing ,, the hiss is a deal breaker.

Sep 18, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #342 of 1,944
What’s recommended in the same prices category that has tubes?
There are a couple of Allnic HPA-3000 GT's in the f/s forum. I haven't heard them personally but people seem to love them.

Sep 19, 2020 at 7:04 AM Post #343 of 1,944
What’s recommended in the same prices category that has tubes?
These are some i am looking at
Donald North Audio – Stratus
ALO audio – Studio Six
Dragon Inspire IHA-1 with the correct tubes should be something special
Decware Taboo MKIV
ampsandsound Encore
Feliks Audio Euforia

Sep 19, 2020 at 7:08 AM Post #344 of 1,944
There are a couple of Allnic HPA-3000 GT's in the f/s forum. I haven't heard them personally but people seem to love them.
did you release the vedio comparing the HA6A with the WA22 ?

Sep 19, 2020 at 7:34 AM Post #345 of 1,944
These are some i am looking at
Donald North Audio – Stratus
ALO audio – Studio Six
Dragon Inspire IHA-1 with the correct tubes should be something special
Decware Taboo MKIV
ampsandsound Encore
Feliks Audio Euforia
No Woo Audio products ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back