Cayin HA-6A Class A KT88/EL34 Tube Headphone Amplifier
May 1, 2021 at 5:59 AM Post #706 of 1,943
May 1, 2021 at 6:25 AM Post #707 of 1,943
all DD ZMFs pair well with tubes
Yes, I know. But I want to know if the high power levels of the HA-6A over XLR is a good match for the Auteur. So far quite a few people have complained about hiss/noise on balanced out when pairing this amp with high impedance DD.

I know that this is less of a problem over SE, but all my custom cables are XLR already and I would like to use them without an adapter.

May 1, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #708 of 1,943
I have Focal Elex, Radiance, Clear Pro and Celestee. All of them sound exceptionally nice and beautiful on my HA-6A.
I think low impedance dynamic headphones have some magic with HA-6A. That is why it always paired with Meze Imperian on all shows.
The mids are so reach. This is what I was looking for long time from other hi end headphones (including planars).
I am Sennh HD6XX, 660, 58X sound signature fan.
Love their intimate mid surround for jazz female vocals.
Have a lot of other headphones, but Focal's are my favorite now.
Using Tesla ECC802s with GEC KT88
Regards,
Kim

So you don't have a problem with hiss or too high noise floor on the Focals? Enough range with the volume control? I have the Radiance also but probably gonna let it go since I got the Stellia. Great headphone though especially for the money.

Last edited:
May 1, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #710 of 1,943
Is my hifiman he1000 v2 will work properly with HA6A no hiss no hum?

He1000 v2 spec Impedance : 35 Ohms Sensitivity : 90dB

Thank you
Yes the He1000v2 will work perfectly fine

May 1, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #711 of 1,943
Can any of these Focals play heavy music?
I dont listen a heavy music. Mostly instrumental jazz, blues, vocals. Electric Guitar and Bass solo.
For that purpose the Focal are very satisfying. But for complicated compositions, when a lot of instruments or sound effects are going at the same time, the planars can do much better this job. That is why I can see a lot of Audeze LCDX in the recording studios as well as Bero Dynamic 1990pro and 1770. So, in short: IMHO for heavy music the planars will do better than Focal's.

Last edited:
May 1, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #712 of 1,943
How well does the Auteur match with the HA-6A in your opinion?
It is interesting feeling with Auteur on HA-6A. I like Auteur for it relaxing sound with all details. Not fatiguing for long listening session 6-8 hours.
But with HA-6A it becomes more energetic, more punchy. Of cause with all tube smoothness. In opposite with Sennheiser HD800S it becomes more smooth, less treble, with more mids. In other words, on HA-6A Auteur is good for 2-3 hours, and after I prefer more darker headphone. In opposite with Solid state amplifiers i can listen Auteur for long session non stop. Regards, Kim

May 1, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #713 of 1,943
Kim, when will you or have you got your hands on Utopia?
I have got Utopia (factory refurbished) for good price. But I don't like the sound. Too intense, no bass. Sounds like Elex with more treble.
Not worth this money. My expectation was much higher. My impression was exactly like "bad guy good review" on youtube Utopia review.

And after 2 weeks (my luck) one driver died. I have done return and bought (from the same shop) both Celestee and Radiance even for less money. Regards, Kim

Last edited:
May 1, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #714 of 1,943
So you don't have a problem with hiss or too high noise floor on the Focals? Enough range with the volume control? I have the Radiance also but probably gonna let it go since I got the Stellia. Great headphone though especially for the money.
This is a second HA-6A after the replacing the first one with hiss. This one does not have hiss with Focals. Using Low impedance and 1/4 jack.

May 1, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #715 of 1,943
I have got Utopia (factory refurbished) for good price. But I don't like the sound. Too intense, no bass. Sounds like Elex with more treble.
Not worth this money. My expectation was much higher. My impression was exactly like "bad guy good review" on youtube Utopia review.

And after 2 weeks (my luck) one driver died. I have done return and bought (from the same shop) both Celestee and Radiance even for less money. Regards, Kim

Ah too bad you didn't like them... seems to me like a faulty unit !

I use the utopia on my ha 6a with 1/4 cable and they sound great. With plenty of bass.
I also have a hifiman arya. And to my personal experience. The utopia sound more full bodied than the aryas !
Bass is even stronger. More impactful and very precise. Maybe a bit less extension below.
Treble is more refined. Midrange is less pronounced. Imaging and separation is on par with the arya.
Soundstage is taller and wider with the hifiman. Focals are more intimate. But stage is deeper.
Also the sound is more dynamic or punchier !
I have yet to try the new clear mg . Wich is to me the most sexy looking headphone !

Would love also to try the abyss 1266 and the high end kennerton's.

Nowadays I am rocking 12bh7 as input and 6l6gc for power. And this combination is very silent.

I think we all hear differently, and we all post our impressions here , wich are very personal !
Always listen for yourself when you can :)

May 1, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #717 of 1,943
hi gentlemen,
what resource of 22de4 tube? I'm curious because it's just few tubes on eBay and what if tube has just 1 000 hours life?...
I'd ask Cayin directly since the 22de4 are no longer prodiced and only available as NOS

May 1, 2021 at 6:17 PM Post #719 of 1,943
I think low impedance dynamic headphones have some magic with HA-6A. That is why it always paired with Meze Imperian on all shows.
The mids are so reach. This is what I was looking for long time from other hi end headphones (including planars).
Hi Kim,

The Meze Empyrean is a planar :) .
How you describe your preferences I think you would love it. Give it a try if you have not done it before.

May 1, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #720 of 1,943
Hi Kim,

The Meze Empyrean is a planar :) .
How you describe your preferences I think you would love it. Give it a try if you have not done it before.
I have tried Meze Empyrian (copper version). Not my type. Too neutral. Comfortable, good material quality, but but not my sound preference. And IMHO overpriced. Nothing special in sound and did not catch me to buy it. I had it around a week in my house, so had a good chance to listen it with all my gears and compare width my other headphones. If you realised, I have a lot of headphones, but not top of the range. Because, always try to justify the price/ performance ratio. The same happens to LCD4, Utopia, ZMF Verite. And somehow I don't like Hifiman brand at all ( may be because of loose quality).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back