Cayin HA-6A Class A KT88/EL34 Tube Headphone Amplifier
Sep 12, 2022 at 8:45 AM Post #1,066 of 1,944
Did you compare them to Electroharmonix or Gold Lions? Or anything else for that matter :)
I've rolled through a crazy number of 12AU7's (or ECC81's for that matter when I owned an MJ2). Here's a list of some of them:

RFT ECC82 folded tabs on plate
Philips white lettering SQ (although I believe it's an ECC81)
Sylvania 12AU7, long black plate (best) 12AU7WA, 12AT7
RCA 5814A, 5963, 12AU7 clear top, 12AU7A
Tungsram ECC82, ECC81(black plate on the ECC82 is much better than gray plate)
Baldwin 12AU7
Amperex 6DJ8 orange lettering
Tesla ECC802S
Brimar CV455

All I can think of at the moment. Keep in mind some of those were on the MJ2 and won't work in the Cayin. The outstanding winner on that list is the Tesla ECC802S but is usually pretty expensive. My end game at some point will be the Telefunken ECC802S but I'll have to find them at a decent price. The Sylvania 12AU7 long black plate is a great tube (good balance and clarity) along with the 12AU7 clear top. Transparency is always a major priority for me. Hope that helps some.

Sep 12, 2022 at 8:54 AM Post #1,067 of 1,944
I've rolled through a crazy number of 12AU7's (or ECC81's for that matter when I owned an MJ2). Here's a list of some of them:

RFT ECC82 folded tabs on plate
Philips white lettering SQ (although I believe it's an ECC81)
Sylvania 12AU7, long black plate (best) 12AU7WA, 12AT7
RCA 5814A, 5963, 12AU7 clear top, 12AU7A
Tungsram ECC82, ECC81(black plate on the ECC82 is much better than gray plate)
Baldwin 12AU7
Amperex 6DJ8 orange lettering
Tesla ECC802S
Brimar CV455

All I can think of at the moment. Keep in mind some of those were on the MJ2 and won't work in the Cayin. The outstanding winner on that list is the Tesla ECC802S but is usually pretty expensive. My end game at some point will be the Telefunken ECC802S but I'll have to find them at a decent price. The Sylvania 12AU7 long black plate is a great tube (good balance and clarity) along with the 12AU7 clear top. Transparency is always a major priority for me. Hope that helps some.
Which did you feel were the most dynamic of the lot?

Sep 12, 2022 at 9:19 AM Post #1,068 of 1,944
Sep 12, 2022 at 9:31 AM Post #1,069 of 1,944
Sep 12, 2022 at 9:46 AM Post #1,070 of 1,944
Nice one, thanks for the info. Did you also roll any EL34 or KT88? :)
A few KT88. KR was pretty darn nice, but I did quite a bit of research and the Tesla Vrsovice (black base) was highly recommended for transparency and it's fantastic (was difficult to find though). It's so good I don't feel the need to try anything else. From what I understand the E.A.T. is the remake with much better construction (but crazy expensive). My HA-6A only came with the Electroharmonix EL34 so I'd like to try the Gold Lion KT88's sometime.

Sep 12, 2022 at 10:00 AM Post #1,071 of 1,944
A few KT88. KR was pretty darn nice, but I did quite a bit of research and the Tesla Vrsovice (black base) was highly recommended for transparency and it's fantastic (was difficult to find though). It's so good I don't feel the need to try anything else. From what I understand the E.A.T. is the remake with much better construction (but crazy expensive). My HA-6A only came with the Electroharmonix EL34 so I'd like to try the Gold Lion KT88's sometime.
I tried the KRs briefly and found them shouty at the time, but I was quite new to tubes back then, just got the HA6a and also the rest of my stack wasn't really on point so my experience probably doesn't count. I'll have to give Teslas a shot for sure 🍻

Sep 15, 2022 at 10:41 PM Post #1,072 of 1,944
I'm a new user here and I didn't think the EL-34 would fit my taste before receiving it. It sounds good so far; excellent sub-bass but just wish it was more textured.

Sep 16, 2022 at 12:27 AM Post #1,073 of 1,944
I'm a new user here and I didn't think the EL-34 would fit my taste before receiving it. It sounds good so far; excellent sub-bass but just wish it was more textured.
Welcome to the club :beerchug:

A power amp like KT88 or 6550 is probably your way to go if you are looking for something tight and powerful. The bass gets cleaner and warmer too.
Rolling the pre-amp tube will help the detail, resolution, and smoothness. I recommend trying to roll these lil tubes before the big ones, save some budget.

Here is my story to share.
I'm an EL34 guy. I prefer EL34 for Jazz and Vocals. I just got Focal Elex for a month and pairing with Cayin HA-6A (EL34). It gives me goosebumps when listening to female vocals like Adele, Lucy Thomas, Diana Ross, etc. Give it a try you might love this for different occasions since this Cayin amp is super versatile after all.

PS, If you are looking for super detail, slam, punch, and thump thump, a Solid State amp may be better. It's my preference right there.

Sep 16, 2022 at 2:37 AM Post #1,074 of 1,944
Congrats, you've got a nice gear collection. After a while I came to a conclusion that HA6a is a better version of the Soloist GT 😅

From my experience the tube type doesn't matter as much. Different manufacturers have different sound and sometimes different tubes have different sound as well due to variation and burn in.

There are some good tube rolling impressions on here. If you want a bit of a v shape with good detail and extension try Gold Lion 12au7 into Gold Lion KT88. That's too much v for me tho. Generally I find tubes to be : v shaped, clean / cool (reference / safe sound) or warm. You just need to find the right combinations for your cans of choice. For example 1266 TC sounds amazingly holographic on Electroharmonix 12au7 into Electroharmonix KT88, but Susvara on same tubes is bland for me 🤔

Good luck, have fun :)

Sep 16, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #1,075 of 1,944
Welcome to the club :beerchug:

A power amp like KT88 or 6550 is probably your way to go if you are looking for something tight and powerful. The bass gets cleaner and warmer too.
Rolling the pre-amp tube will help the detail, resolution, and smoothness. I recommend trying to roll these lil tubes before the big ones, save some budget.

Here is my story to share.
I'm an EL34 guy. I prefer EL34 for Jazz and Vocals. I just got Focal Elex for a month and pairing with Cayin HA-6A (EL34). It gives me goosebumps when listening to female vocals like Adele, Lucy Thomas, Diana Ross, etc. Give it a try you might love this for different occasions since this Cayin amp is super versatile after all.

PS, If you are looking for super detail, slam, punch, and thump thump, a Solid State amp may be better. It's my preference right there.
Thank you, I'm glad to be here.

I have a pair of Mullard KT88 to try out after I burn in the EL34. So far, the EL34 is good, the bass cleans up a little bit in Ultra-linear mode. The highs are really sharp at the moment, hopefully they will roll off as time passes.

I have a pair of Elex too, I need to give them more time with this amp. But so far, I'm getting amazing synergy with the Arya V2. Normally, the Arya is wide but lack depth, now they are super wide and have added depth. In addition, the tube harmonics of this amp is great with all my headphones, human voices and analog instrument voices sounds life-like as to before they were recorded to digital format.

Sep 16, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #1,076 of 1,944
Congrats, you've got a nice gear collection. After a while I came to a conclusion that HA6a is a better version of the Soloist GT 😅

From my experience the tube type doesn't matter as much. Different manufacturers have different sound and sometimes different tubes have different sound as well due to variation and burn in.

There are some good tube rolling impressions on here. If you want a bit of a v shape with good detail and extension try Gold Lion 12au7 into Gold Lion KT88. That's too much v for me tho. Generally I find tubes to be : v shaped, clean / cool (reference / safe sound) or warm. You just need to find the right combinations for your cans of choice. For example 1266 TC sounds amazingly holographic on Electroharmonix 12au7 into Electroharmonix KT88, but Susvara on same tubes is bland for me 🤔

Good luck, have fun :)
Come on, man. You know that's not true. :smile: The Soloist GT is awesome.

Well, hopefully I will not turn into a tube collector. Thanks for your insight.

Sep 16, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #1,077 of 1,944
Come on, man. You know that's not true. :smile: The Soloist GT is awesome.

Well, hopefully I will not turn into a tube collector. Thanks for your insight.
You'll try a few clear and detailed tube combos like Mullard and or Electroharmonix and you'll see what I mean, especially with UL and impedamce switching you can get the stage / treble where you want it. You'll get the smoothest treble in TR and lowest impedance. Also try lowering the input voltage if you have a volume in your dac or a pre. I use Oor as a pre for the HA6a (May doesn't have volume and it's really hot with 5.8v) and it works wonders in my chain.

Sep 17, 2022 at 1:47 AM Post #1,078 of 1,944
Hey guys, I just popped in the Mullard KT88 replacing the EH EL34, and it sounds clearer and the notes have less sustain. Overall good frequency response. The treble is not as sharp as the EL34, that's a good thing for me. I was wondering if it's safe to leave the amp running overnight.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2022 at 5:10 AM Post #1,079 of 1,944
Thank you, I'm glad to be here.

I have a pair of Mullard KT88 to try out after I burn in the EL34. So far, the EL34 is good, the bass cleans up a little bit in Ultra-linear mode. The highs are really sharp at the moment, hopefully they will roll off as time passes.

I have a pair of Elex too, I need to give them more time with this amp. But so far, I'm getting amazing synergy with the Arya V2. Normally, the Arya is wide but lack depth, now they are super wide and have added depth. In addition, the tube harmonics of this amp is great with all my headphones, human voices and analog instrument voices sounds life-like as to before they were recorded to digital format.
Arya is one of my next purchase target, especially new Stealth Edition. I heard from a few Arya owners that they prefer using with SS amp, but I’m glad to hear that it paired well with this. Makes me want to go and get it to try now LOL

My end-game target will be the Meze Empyrean/Elite. Many praise from this thread. I tried demo unit from local store, gotta say I’m in love. Can’t wait to try with this amp.

Sep 25, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #1,080 of 1,944
gkt77mpxx-p.jpg

Evaluating the Gold Lion KT77 with JJ 12AU7 compared to Electro-Harmonix EL34 with JJ 12AU7.

Price paid for matched pair: $109.99 USD

Headphones used: Arya V2 and HE1000se

Right off the bat I noticed two things.
  • Decrease in bass quantity by 2 dB
  • Different tube harmonics
The Gold Lion KT77, in Ultra-Linear mode, sounds like a true solid-state Class-A amp (much better rendition than the Mullard KT88), it brought back a lot of familiarity I have with my Soloist GT with upgraded op-amps. The romantic sound of the EL34, where the notes have longer sustain and lush mid-range, is no longer present with the KT77 on board.

What we have is greatly improved:
  • Clarity
  • Transient response
  • Shorter sustain of musical notes
The KT77 have an extended presence that makes enthusiastic open hi-hat and crash cymbal hits have a piercing ring. EL34 suffer from this as well but not as much as the KT77. A good remedy is equalizing down 2.5 dB at 12 kHz.

Clarity quality is well throughout the whole frequency range with just a tad more tube harmonics than the Mullard KT88.

The transient response is excellent, it gives the listener better discernment of notes and improved sense of note imaging within the headstage. At one point in my evaluation using the Arya V2, I thought I had the HE1000se on. I was very surprised to be hearing such good imaging depth with the Arya V2. In contrast, with the EL34, melodic notes tend to be smeared and blends in with the other layers of musical notes within the song track. And as a result, the EL34 have a two-dimensional soundstage.

Personally, I prefer this sound signature because of the transient response, but I do miss the EL34 bass and lushness. Hopefully I can bring that back by rolling different 12AU7.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back