Cayin HA-3A, a Compact 6V6s Transformer-coupled Tube Amplifier
Apr 10, 2024 at 12:08 PM Post #2,011 of 2,175
Correct

The output impedance of an amplifier changes the FR of headphones because of the varying impedance curve of the headphone. So for many dynamic driver headphones which typically have a rise in impedance at low freqs, a higher output impedance will cause an increase in bass.

But planar magnetics have a flat impedance curve vs frequency, and so they will not change in FR as the output impedance changes. Any differences in sound are just due to other factors like distortion and how easy/hard a time the amp is having actually driving the load.
For the LCD 4 & HEKSE which are both planars, the impedence switch has an effect on the bass impact, soundstage, vocal presence and midrange energy.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #2,013 of 2,175
For the LCD 4 & HEKSE which are both planars, the impedence switch has an effect on the bass impact, soundstage, vocal presence and midrange energy.
Because the load presented to the amp is very different, and therefore the amp itself will be behaving/distorting differently. As well as higher/lower transformer ratios resulting in more/less colouration on sound from the trafos.

Apr 12, 2024 at 6:15 PM Post #2,014 of 2,175
The volume is pretty sensitive on all the headphones I use. I was thinking of using the jotunheim 2 I have as a preamp to attenuate the input volume. Would this negatively affect the sound?

I use XLR in

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2024 at 6:42 AM Post #2,015 of 2,175
The volume is pretty sensitive on all the headphones I use. I was thinking of using the jotunheim 2 I have as a preamp to attenuate the input volume. Would this negatively affect the sound?

I use XLR in
I never turned the volume control past 9 o’clock, my DAC has up to 3,8V RMS via XLR. Does yours have more hot output? Anyway the less connections the better sound quality.

Apr 13, 2024 at 7:06 AM Post #2,016 of 2,175
Has anyone ever tried contacting Cayin customer service, I have a couple of times about issues with my HA-3A & never get a response. This is my first Cayin product & so far it has not been the best experience with both issues with the amp & customer service response. I was interested in some of the new products they are launching but don’t think I would risk buying anything else from Cayin. Generally I find the audio industry has great customer support, Melco is outstanding along with Burson, Chord, Icon Audio, all have been great when I have needed support.

Apr 13, 2024 at 7:13 AM Post #2,017 of 2,175
Has anyone ever tried contacting Cayin customer service, I have a couple of times about issues with my HA-3A & never get a response. This is my first Cayin product & so far it has not been the best experience with both issues with the amp & customer service response. I was interested in some of the new products they are launching but don’t think I would risk buying anything else from Cayin. Generally I find the audio industry has great customer support, Melco is outstanding along with Burson, Chord, Icon Audio, all have been great when I have needed support.
Why don’t you ask here first? Most of the questions might be solved by the community.

Apr 13, 2024 at 7:18 AM Post #2,018 of 2,175
@Andykong is pretty swift in replying here on Cayin's behalf. I didn't have to try other channels but Cayin is definitely one of the more customer focused companies.

Apr 13, 2024 at 7:45 AM Post #2,019 of 2,175
@Andykong is pretty swift in replying here on Cayin's behalf. I didn't have to try other channels but Cayin is definitely one of the more customer focused companies.
Thanks for your reply, glad to hear your experiences are positive, may be I have just been unfortunate. I do enjoy my amp tremendously but it has proven very unreliable, already on forth set of power tubes since buying it at the end of October. Same tube fails repeatedly after around 60 hours

Apr 13, 2024 at 8:15 AM Post #2,020 of 2,175
Thanks for your reply, glad to hear your experiences are positive, may be I have just been unfortunate. I do enjoy my amp tremendously but it has proven very unreliable, already on forth set of power tubes since buying it at the end of October. Same tube fails repeatedly after around 60 hours
That's the first case like this I read about in the nearly 2 years of the thread's existence. I am sure, Andy will soon speed up the warranty process for you.

Apr 13, 2024 at 8:54 AM Post #2,021 of 2,175
That's the first case like this I read about in the nearly 2 years of the thread's existence. I am sure, Andy will soon speed up the warranty process for you.
It first went back to my dealer about three months ago, after waiting around three weeks I was told it was a tube issue & I asked them to return it and I would put new tubes in, since then it was had a Gold Lion and a Reflektor tube go bad, both in the same socket. I returned the Gold Lions & was informed one tube was reading around 50% of the original power, had only been used for around 50 hours I reckon. They believe there must be a problem with the amplifier. It is now going back to the dealer again for what is likely to be another lengthy period with out an amplifier. I am not fortunate enough to be able to afford two amps so I will be with out a system again. It’s extremely frustrating, I really like this amp & prefer it to any solid state I have tried, just wish it was more reliable. Sadly has left me disillusioned & wondering if I should have kept my Icon amp, never had a single issue with that one.

Apr 13, 2024 at 9:24 AM Post #2,022 of 2,175
It first went back to my dealer about three months ago, after waiting around three weeks I was told it was a tube issue & I asked them to return it and I would put new tubes in, since then it was had a Gold Lion and a Reflektor tube go bad, both in the same socket. I returned the Gold Lions & was informed one tube was reading around 50% of the original power, had only been used for around 50 hours I reckon. They believe there must be a problem with the amplifier. It is now going back to the dealer again for what is likely to be another lengthy period with out an amplifier. I am not fortunate enough to be able to afford two amps so I will be with out a system again. It’s extremely frustrating, I really like this amp & prefer it to any solid state I have tried, just wish it was more reliable. Sadly has left me disillusioned & wondering if I should have kept my Icon amp, never had a single issue with that one.
So you contacted your dealer, not Cayin directly, right?

Apr 13, 2024 at 10:20 AM Post #2,025 of 2,175
The retailer should probably offer a replacement or at least a loaner unit at this point, until they have yours fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back