Cayin HA-3A, a Compact 6V6s Transformer-coupled Tube Amplifier
Feb 29, 2024 at 12:13 PM Post #1,876 of 2,170
Does anyone have any idea where to source a T125mAE250V fuse ( the external 6v6 one ) ?

Looks like mine has blown ( everything lights up, buttons, VU meters and tubes - but no sound )

UK preferably.

Thanks

Feb 29, 2024 at 12:21 PM Post #1,877 of 2,170
What can you say about these devices? Are they not doing their job?
https://ifi-audio.com/products/ipurifier3/
https://ifi-audio.com/products/isilencer-plus/
Hello dear elig63:

I can´t answer that question, all I can tell you is:
I tried this little baby here ,

isol.jpg

that should be an isolator, it looks totally cuddly and cute, but it hardly helped me, yes it reduced the intensity of the disturbing noises, but in the end you could still hear the sound carpet, which really annoyed me, I had another isolator (I have the name forgotten or suppressed) which also had a USB stick form, same problem, let's say 80-90% suppressed, but not completely, and somehow I had the feeling that the audio quality suffered as a result... that's why I had it given away...

I would also like to expressly point out that I am not a salesman, I am an amateur musician and music lover and an intensive record collector for over 2 decades and I just want pure, pure sound, and I know enough about disturbing noises with vinyl, that's clear and normal.
But apart from the pure digital code via USB, there shouldn't be any noise coming from the computer, and my computer is a new high-end machine, but I also had a problem like this with my old computer 10 years ago, and it's on a friend of mine Laptop also has such a problem, but he doesn't want tube amps and is so happy with the DAC headphone amplifier he uses.

But I would like to enjoy the USB DAC and Tube Amp in conjunction with the PC as a playback device...

Fortunately, Intona is not a hi-fi manufacturer and is not a "snake oil company" that builds and co-engineers for the industrial sector, professional recording studios and so on...

https://intona.eu/en/products/7055-b#applications

So I thought I would give it a try and it helped 100%. But I think there are so many different constellations that it can be, so a USB stick isolator helps 100%.

Feb 29, 2024 at 3:24 PM Post #1,878 of 2,170
I'll chime in and just say that USB was a big cause of noise issues in not only the HA-3A but other tube amps I have used in my system.

I have mostly used Schiit DAC's that utilize USB. Personally, I've not had issues with the USB from their DACs, but the cables can make a difference! I almost purchased an iFi Isolator/Defender or other products like this to help. However, before I did that, I bought this cable off of Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TJTZBKP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm not endorsing this as the solution mind you, but it definitely has not caused any issues in my system. A simple USBC to USBA adapter cable actually was causing a lot of issues. PC's are very noisy as stated in this thread already. It is worth the time and effort to try out different USB ports as well and try and isolate any of those issues. I even went as far as to use a separate UPS surge/power conditioner for my PC and then I have a Furman just for my Hifi Products. This completely separated my audio from my PC other then the USB cable to my DAC.

These are just things that worked for me. Wifi, BT, 2.4 networks can all interfere as well. The biggest thing I can say though about the HA-3A is that the transformer for the Power tubes really do lower noise quite well. I compared it to other Tube Amps and noticed it (compared to a Feliks Echo and BHC).

The XLR/RCA seem to carry the most noise out, though none of the outputs carry noise for me now. Especially after plenty of time for the tubes to burn in.

I hope any of you with noise problems can figure it out because it is truly a major headache. I just can't fault the product because typically that is not the case.

Feb 29, 2024 at 3:56 PM Post #1,879 of 2,170
Feb 29, 2024 at 4:00 PM Post #1,880 of 2,170
I'm not so sure on this.

I have the same problem, when I game on my PC I can instantly hear my GPU ramping up.

I tried solving this by buying a new DAC with isolated Galvanic inputs / outputs (Audio-GD R1), yeh it was an excuse for a new DAC ^.^, the issue is still present though.

I'm honestly stumped now and just use the 3A when listening to music only, be it I still get some random noise here and there, which I'm sure the PC is still producing.

I might try the Intona out between the DAC for double galvanic isolation or a DDC, but I'm veeery doubtful now.
TRY switching your connection from dac to pc from USB to optical. After I changed to optical there is 0 noise on the 6.35 and 4.4mm connections.

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2024 at 4:08 PM Post #1,881 of 2,170
The iFi GND Defender greatly reduced the background noise for me.

https://ifi-audio.com/products/gnd-defender/
Anyone know if something like this still has value when I've already got a Furman power conditioner (AC-215A) the amp is hooked up to?

My background noise is mostly just noticeable on my 300-ohm set and when it's quiet. It's pretty constant and doesn't disappear if the computer is powered off. It's not loud enough to be annoying when listening but I figure I might as well try some things and see if I can quiet it further.

*edit - although looking at this again it would end up pushing my amp about 1.5" further away from the wall, which I'm not super keen on..

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2024 at 4:40 PM Post #1,882 of 2,170
TRY switching your connection from dac to pc from USB to optical. After I changed to optical there is 0 noise on the 6.35 and 4.4mm connections.
Optical doesn't give me high quality audio streaming on Roon though which is why I use USB

Feb 29, 2024 at 4:42 PM Post #1,883 of 2,170
In many cases I think the noise comes from PC/laptop and travels through the USB (sometimes not even galvanically isolated DAC USB inputs) and since XLR usually has twice the voltage, sounds more apparent there.

A relatively affordable (sub $100) mains conditioner, a couple of decent ($50) power cables and a good USB cable (Supra Excalibur) can help a lot, but often the original problem lies with the PC.
Using a separate streamer might be a good idea.
Also, oxidised tube pins can cause annoying noise. Clean your pins guys! :)

Feb 29, 2024 at 5:12 PM Post #1,884 of 2,170
I am using Supra USB , fed from a Melco N1A into my Holo Spring 3. Every thing is plugged into a Puritan PSM136 which is grounded using the Puritan Ground Master. I am finding virtually no noise on any of the outputs, & less noise than my Burson amp was generating. Not sure how much effect each part of the chain is playing but very happy with the quietness of the amp.

Feb 29, 2024 at 10:30 PM Post #1,885 of 2,170
So I had initially had my ha-3a connected to my pc via usb. When I started playing total war wh3, there was an insane screeching noise coming from the amp. Likely noise generated from cpu/gpu. I switched the connection from my dac to spdif to pc and now there is just black background of the 4.4mm and 6.35mm. There is still noise on the xlr on verite c. Seems usb is just not the way to go.
I was hearing the same noise on my Verite open and switching to 4.4 balanced greatly reduced the noise. But moving the PC under the desk eliminated it. Now I don't hear any noise no matter the connection or gain.

Mar 2, 2024 at 9:18 AM Post #1,886 of 2,170
Wow you're right!
Further to my previous testing, it's quite noticeable that the soundstage decreases when using the 1/4 connector at high impedence with the LCD 4 however, I believe it brings out a fuller and more intimate vocal presentation.

Mar 2, 2024 at 11:57 AM Post #1,888 of 2,170
couple new kids just showed up today - just started burning them in but curious how they compare to the stock JJs and my NOS Tungsram E80CCs.
I do appreciate how pretty they are, and that the labels line up nicely :relaxed:

DSCF5976.JPG

DSCF5975.JPG

Mar 2, 2024 at 12:09 PM Post #1,890 of 2,170
These are very nice tubes, I have a pair & they are very good, a little bit sparkly up top for my HE1000 Stealth, so I tend to use my Gold Lion tubes more plus the Gold Lion’s are very quiet, more so than the Apos. I am sure you will love them, they are stunning tubes, have fun.
Thanks - Are your lions new production also?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back