Cayin HA-3A, a Compact 6V6s Transformer-coupled Tube Amplifier
Feb 19, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #1,816 of 2,170
I believe these cheap power cords are good enough for a minimalistic headphone system, but not for me
I just know a few people with expensive headphone and speaker systems who use these cables. In fact, they recommended it to me, I checked it out and now I do the same thing.

Feb 20, 2024 at 5:01 PM Post #1,817 of 2,170

Hi @all.
This is my first comment here.
I just want to say thank you for all your great suggestions and recommentations.

I've been reading this Thread for a while and it was the starting point for me to buy a HA-3A.

I've been a proud owner of this headphone amp for 3 months now and I have to say I'm very impressed.

I like it better and better every day. I listen actively for about 2 hours a day.

Yes, tube rolling is a thing, an endless thing (I also know this from other tube amps that I use). For now the amp is running with a pair of NOS USSR 6P6S which gives a extra punch in the bass and a pair of GE 6189 (General Electric, USA ).

There will be more to test soon ...

(I also got a NOS pair of Siemens K1007 or CV491 which I will test soon).

------------

I am using DENON AH-D9200 (I prefer closed ) which I really like for Rock/ Metal, Jazz, Classic, Instrumental music.

Sometimes I am using my old DT 1770 Pro 250 Ohm (if I am into electronic music )

Music source is a RME ADI-2 DAC FS. (Much high res. audio here) or Phono Pre-amp .
Also I am using INTONA "USB 2.0 Hi-Speed Isolator 5kV" which cleans high frequencies and noise that is coming from the computer through usb (although I have to say that you can hear it [pc noise] through the HA-3a or tube amps in general without the isolator; often the problem is the PC System).
Now I can sit here , relax and enjoy the Cayin HA-3A .

I wish you all good music explorations and listening sessions with your HA-3A !

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2024 at 7:56 PM Post #1,819 of 2,170
HA-3A is on its way! Super excited for first tube amp (not counting hybrid). Anyone have dac pairing recommendations with the ca-3a that has similar dimensions 300x260mm? Budget of roughly $1000.
Holo Cyan 2 is probably worth a look with that criteria in mind

Feb 20, 2024 at 8:12 PM Post #1,821 of 2,170
According to my experience with Cayin amps, crackling comes most from a non or very poor isolated USB connection or a EMF source near the amp and constant "hiss" even at volume 0 comes from the amp itself.
Thanks for all the help. I figured out that the noise was from my desktop being too close to the amp.

Feb 21, 2024 at 12:09 AM Post #1,823 of 2,170
Read through this thread and someone suggested using 4.4 balanced over the 4-pin XLR. I did, and now the amp is dead quiet on my dynamic drivers. Didn't even have to move my machine anywhere. Fantastic sounding amp.
While on most amps the different outputs are usually for convenience, on the HA-3A you really need to consider the different output levels of each jack (details of those here) and then you can toggle between low, med and high impedence on each output to dial in your preferred sound. The amp is amazingly versatile. I have found the Utopia sounds best out of the 4.4mm on low impedance, ZMF dynamics sound best out of the 1/4" on low impedance and the Tungsten DS works great out of the XLR (the only headphone I have heard that sounds right out of the XLR) on various impedances depending on the recordings.

I am actually going to be putting up my HA-3A with a nice collection of tubes for sale soon. If you are interested PM me.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 4:48 AM Post #1,824 of 2,170
While on most amps the different outputs are usually for convenience, on the HA-3A you really need to consider the different output levels of each jack (details of those here) and then you can toggle between low, med and high impedence on each output to dial in your preferred sound. The amp is amazingly versatile. I have found the Utopia sounds best out of the 4.4mm on low impedance, ZMF dynamics sound best out of the 1/4" on low impedance and the Tungsten DS works great out of the XLR (the only headphone I have heard that sounds right out of the XLR) on various impedances depending on the recordings.

I am actually going to be putting up my HA-3A with a nice collection of tubes for sale soon. If you are interested PM me.
The HA-3A powers the Tungsten? That headphone is even harder to drive than Susvara.

Feb 21, 2024 at 6:02 AM Post #1,825 of 2,170
The HA-3A powers the Tungsten? That headphone is even harder to drive than Susvara.
Many people confirmed in the Tungsten thread that the HA-3A drives those headphones surprisingly well. I think, it has to do something with voltage and current. Apparently the Tungsten is a bit of an odd planar in the sense it needs more voltage than current, and apparently the 3A provides plenty of voltage (15V).
(Also, a DAC with higher output (4V+) is preferred, that normally means balanced connection.)

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 6:13 AM Post #1,826 of 2,170
Many people confirmed in the Tungsten thread that the HA-3A drives those headphones surprisingly well. I think, it has to do something with voltage and current. Apparently the Tungsten is a bit of an odd planar in the sense it needs more voltage than current, and apparently the 3A provides plenty of voltage (15V).
(Also, a DAC with higher output (4V+) is preferred, that normally means balanced connection.)
Would I need to get the double sided driver as its more efficient than the single sided driver or do both versions run fine on this amp?

Feb 21, 2024 at 7:02 AM Post #1,828 of 2,170
Does the amp always run at 15V?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back