Cayin HA-3A, a Compact 6V6s Transformer-coupled Tube Amplifier
Jan 18, 2024 at 2:55 PM Post #1,636 of 2,534
The HEKSE is a very efficient and easy to drive headphone so a 300B amplifier would not make sense just for that headphone. Even harder to drive headphones like the LCD 4 perform exceptionally on the HA-3A. I would only look at a HA-300B for headphones like the Susvara, Abyss AB1266 and Modhouse Tungsten.

ZMF do not make the pendant anymore so you can only buy that on the used market if and when they come up for sale.
The HA300MK2 is fantastic with any headphone. No need to only use the most expensive or hard to drive headphones with it.

Jan 19, 2024 at 9:51 PM Post #1,637 of 2,534
Had my first listening session on the HA-3A this morning, about an hour or so. I'm pleased to find I'm getting really minimal noise or interference. There's a very small amount, most noticeable on high impedance out of the 6.5/XLR but it's inaudible with music and I'm mostly using 4.4 to get a bit more volume play. On that note, that might be my only gripe so far is how sensitive the volume is. I'm running XLR in with (I believe) 4V out of my DAC and even on the 4.4mm on my Caldera, 9:00 is too loud for me. Luckily the volume pot is incredibly smooth with nice resistance so it's easy to make micro adjustments (this was a big factor for me not getting the 6A).

It's far too early to really make any sweeping statements on the sound but I will say I like what I hear so far. I'm gonna run stock tubes for a bit and get to know them and then start looking at NOS options. What's come across to me so far comparing to my Violectric V226: the Cayin sounds more lively, dynamic (also bit more top-end) and feels more enveloping, with more space and depth than the V226 which now sounds a bit, flat, in comparison. These differences didn't smack me in the face first listen but going back and forth that's what I've been getting across all my ZMFs and it has me excited to get more time with it.
I left the stock valves in for 5 months and was happy with what I was hearing.Just replaced the stock 12u7 valves with a pair of Telefunken Diamond Series 12au7 tubes.One word "wow" something that really doesn't happen very often after many years in the hobby .So my commendation would be live with the stock set up for several months before considering any changes even just the 12u7 valves might end your tube rolling itch.

Jan 19, 2024 at 10:09 PM Post #1,638 of 2,534
I left the stock valves in for 5 months and was happy with what I was hearing.Just replaced the stock 12u7 valves with a pair of Telefunken Diamond Series 12au7 tubes.One word "wow" something that really doesn't happen very often after many years in the hobby .So my commendation would be live with the stock set up for several months before considering any changes even just the 12u7 valves might end your tube rolling itch.
If I can make it 5 months without buying a a piece of audio gear I'm interested in it'll be a record, but I'm gonna do my best ... It helps that this thing sounds great bone stock.

Jan 20, 2024 at 12:59 AM Post #1,639 of 2,534
If I can make it 5 months without buying a a piece of audio gear I'm interested in it'll be a record, but I'm gonna do my best ... It helps that this thing sounds great bone stock.
I hear you been there done that:) I was looking at a solid stage amp but since the tube upgrade its a memory now.Hang in there you will enjoy it more

Jan 22, 2024 at 12:45 AM Post #1,640 of 2,534
Hello,
I'm using zmf atrium and ha-3a
with Mazda 6v6g and RCA 12au7 clear top.
But I want to buy (1) Phillips e80cc or (2) amperex 12au7 bugleboy.
I usually enjoy listening soul R&B, Jazz and classics. So I want warm and sticky sound.
Please recommend me 12au7 options and let me know adequate price too.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2024 at 2:56 AM Post #1,641 of 2,534
Hello,
I usually enjoy listening soul R&B, Jazz and classics. So I want warm and sticky sound.
Thanks.
Mullard M8136 CV4003. $200-$300 for a matched pair. Those RCA 12AU7s didn't do much for me.

Jan 24, 2024 at 4:16 PM Post #1,643 of 2,534
Hello,
Thanks.
The Amperex orange globe 12AU7 would get you there and probably at a lower cost than Bugleboys. Late 60’s (1967-1970) Mullards would do the trick too. Just know that with either you’re kind of rowing upstream against the Mazda 6v6GT since they’re on the sparkly detailed end of the spectrum for a power tube. They’re excellent tubes, just not what I would call ”warm and sticky”…which is how I would describe the ST Canadian Westinghouse/GE 6V6g.

Jan 26, 2024 at 5:58 AM Post #1,644 of 2,534
I ordered my first NOS tubes too -- Tungsram E80CC (1968), Tesla ECC802s (yellow print), Рhilips Мiniwatt Dariо ECC82

Who has experience with this?

But so far I can't find the right 6v6 NOS for it

Jan 26, 2024 at 1:18 PM Post #1,645 of 2,534
I ordered my first NOS tubes too -- Tungsram E80CC (1968), Tesla ECC802s (yellow print), Рhilips Мiniwatt Dariо ECC82

Who has experience with this?

But so far I can't find the right 6v6 NOS for it
Your lucky, i see tubes everywhere....

Here is a good start of tubes that you will love.

Warm 6v6: Brimar, Westinghouse, Fivre. All of them are great but pretty similar at the same time. Since all the ecc82 tubes that you bought sound fairly linear, these will pair well with a warmer 6v6.
Sylvania is still fundamentally warm but less so than the others. Great drive with these. Guitars really do crunch.

https://www.langrex.co.uk/products/6v6gt-brimar-black-beauty-nos-valve-tube/
https://www.langrex.co.uk/products/6v6gt-westinghouse-grey-glass-nos-valve-tube/
https://www.langrex.co.uk/products/6v6g-cv509-fivre-nos-boxed-valvetube/
https://www.langrex.co.uk/products/6v6gt-sylvania-grey-glass-matched-pair-nos-valve-tube-lc55/

Alternative in Boxes:
https://www.tctubes.com/Fivre-6V6GT-gray-glass-matched-pair.aspx

Linear: Mazda is a neutral reference tube. "Must have" tube that pairs well with everthing. These are great with your Philips ecc82.
Shuguang is even more linear tube. If you want a brighter sound. Pairs great with the warmer american 12au7.

https://www.tctubes.com/Mazda-6V6GT-gray-glass-matched-pair.aspx
https://www.langrex.co.uk/products/6p6p-6p6s-6v6gt-valve-tube-shuguang-1970s-nos-boxed/

Jan 26, 2024 at 1:36 PM Post #1,646 of 2,534
@Renexx thanks for the detailed response

The seller offers me such options:

6v6 raytheon, sylvania, rca and US tubes (late 40s - early 50s)
they're all smoky or black.

I don't know what that means. what do you think?

Jan 26, 2024 at 1:46 PM Post #1,647 of 2,534
RCA is similar to brimar /westinghouse but with more bass. Great tube.
Raytheon sounds special because its quite mid focused like a GEC kt66. Thats a great tube aswell.
On this amplifier no tube sounds "bad".

smoked glass might indicate those tubes have an earlier vintage. 1940s until 1950s useally. Those are the best sounding anyway.
You need to get a pair of Mazda 6v6 still.

My recommendations were bound to the tubes, that are readily available at a trusted seller, so i can link them for you.

Jan 26, 2024 at 2:00 PM Post #1,648 of 2,534
My recommendations were bound to the tubes, that are readily available at a trusted seller, so i can link them for you.
Yes, I understand. We just have certain problems with shipping from Europe and US. Just need an intermediary for that though.

Yes, I want a MAZDA too, but we don't have one yet. I'll buy one when it's available in Russia (I've seen them recently, but wasn't ready to try NOS yet). Thanks for the recommendations and info

Jan 26, 2024 at 11:39 PM Post #1,649 of 2,534
Yes, I understand. We just have certain problems with shipping from Europe and US. Just need an intermediary for that though.

Yes, I want a MAZDA too, but we don't have one yet. I'll buy one when it's available in Russia (I've seen them recently, but wasn't ready to try NOS yet). Thanks for the recommendations and info
Shuguang seems to be identical with Soviet 6П6С (6V6GT), “Reflektor” and “Svetlana”. I see plenty in Russia.
TheAbyss2022 wrote:”For me the best combination is the Reflektor 6V6GT, Sylvania 5814a and stock rectifier.”

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2024 at 2:52 AM Post #1,650 of 2,534
Reflektor 6V6GT
Thanks, I didn't realize it was a domestic tube. Ordered a matched pair for ~$9. Have you tried it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back