Cayin HA-3A, a Compact 6V6s Transformer-coupled Tube Amplifier
Jan 11, 2024 at 11:30 AM Post #1,606 of 2,346
I don't have it yet but I noticed on some product pages for the HA-3A it mentions it has a: "60 seconds start-up delay circuit - Enhanced circuit protection and minimizes pop noise during start-up.".
I've always heard that, particularly with tube amps, you shouldn't have headphones plugged into them when you turn them on as there's a chance it can damage your headphones. Is that still the case with the HA-3A having this delay circuit?

Jan 11, 2024 at 11:47 AM Post #1,607 of 2,346
I don't have it yet but I noticed on some product pages for the HA-3A it mentions it has a: "60 seconds start-up delay circuit - Enhanced circuit protection and minimizes pop noise during start-up.".
I've always heard that, particularly with tube amps, you shouldn't have headphones plugged into them when you turn them on as there's a chance it can damage your headphones. Is that still the case with the HA-3A having this delay circuit?
You can have a headphone plugged in and turn the amp on as there is a 60 second start up sequence so nothing is going through the headphone during this sequence.

Jan 12, 2024 at 7:25 AM Post #1,608 of 2,346
My headphone is always plugged in. I just turn the volume to minimal when switching on and off. Same procedure when changing headphones without switching off. But fortunately I own only one headphone yet)

Jan 12, 2024 at 12:36 PM Post #1,609 of 2,346
I just turn the volume to minimal when switching on and off.
You don't have to do that at all with the HA-3A, complete silence on and off.

Jan 12, 2024 at 2:59 PM Post #1,611 of 2,346
It’s just the extra safety habit, please don’t blame me)
I understand, I had a loud clicking noise with the Unison Research SH.
This is not the case with the Cayin.

Jan 14, 2024 at 11:01 AM Post #1,612 of 2,346
Thinking about selling my NOS '66 Genelex KT66 power tubes if anyone is interested......PM me for more info please

Jan 16, 2024 at 4:10 AM Post #1,613 of 2,346
My headphone is always plugged in. I just turn the volume to minimal when switching on and off. Same procedure when changing headphones without switching off. But fortunately I own only one headphone yet)

While Cayin has implemented a delay circuit to protect your headphones (or speakers) from unwanted circuit behavior, this is a good habit in audiophile hobby and we encourage our users to pick up similar procedures as their standard practice. This is particularly relevant to users who own several headphones with very different sensitivity. You can imagine the consequence of changing from Suvara to Utopia and forgetting to reset the volume before you hit the play button.
:beerchug: :beerchug:

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 17, 2024 at 2:46 PM Post #1,614 of 2,346
After some shipping delays it's arrived - albeit it's quite cold from sitting in a truck in -15C for the past 24+ hours, so going to let it sit and acclimate before I get to test it out. Patience....patience... :expressionless:

DSCF5006.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2024 at 2:48 PM Post #1,615 of 2,346
After some shipping delays it's arrived - albeit it quite cold from sitting in a truck in -15C for the past 24+ hours, so going to let it sit and acclimate before I get to test it out. Patience....patience... :expressionless:

DSCF5006.jpg
Congrats! Hope, you will like it. Give it some burn in time. (And watch the volume knob as it is set to max.)

Jan 17, 2024 at 2:50 PM Post #1,616 of 2,346
Congrats! Hope, you will like it. Give it some burn in time. (And watch the volume knob as it is set to max.)
haha yes, thanks - I did think it was curious it came out of the box ready to rip at max volume

Jan 17, 2024 at 3:04 PM Post #1,617 of 2,346
After some shipping delays it's arrived - albeit it quite cold from sitting in a truck in -15C for the past 24+ hours, so going to let it sit and acclimate before I get to test it out. Patience....patience... :expressionless:

DSCF5006.jpg
Congratulations and smart move. Everything in that amp needs to slowly come up to a reasonable indoor room temperature before you begin to run it.

Jan 17, 2024 at 3:26 PM Post #1,618 of 2,346

DSCF5006.jpg
Enjoy! And great photo btw!

Jan 17, 2024 at 4:46 PM Post #1,619 of 2,346

DSCF5006.jpg
Congratulations! Just note that NOS tubes really unlock the potential of this amplifier so don't be upset if you don't like how it sounds with the stock tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back