Cayin HA-3A, a Compact 6V6s Transformer-coupled Tube Amplifier
Jan 6, 2024 at 1:07 PM Post #1,591 of 2,538
Hi guys !
I'm new in audio. I apologize in advance for the stupid question.
I have WA7 Fireflies (3rd gen). I'm thinking about buying Cayin HA-3A .
Are there any differences between them? How much better is the Cayin HA-3A and how much will it add to the sound quality.
I cannot speak about the WA7 but when I upgraded to the HA-3A from the Schiit Lyr 3 it was like a generational improvement in detail, soundstage and clarity.

Jan 6, 2024 at 2:33 PM Post #1,592 of 2,538
Hi guys !
I'm new in audio. I apologize in advance for the stupid question.
I have WA7 Fireflies (3rd gen). I'm thinking about buying Cayin HA-3A .
Are there any differences between them? How much better is the Cayin HA-3A and how much will it add to the sound quality.
Hello,
Your Firevlies is a hybrid amplifier and the Ha 3A is a tube amplifier that is coupled via the transformers.
There are differences in sound.
Does it depend on what you intend to do with the Cayin?
Hybrid amplifiers are better for planar headphones in combination and perform better.
Tube amplifiers are better for dynamic headphones, which means that planar headphones don't sound bad, but the sound is different.

That's the difference,planar headphones sound good on tube amplifiers,but the power of the amplifier is important.
The Ha 3A should be good, but you will notice a difference and in the end it is a matter of taste tonally.

That's why it's hard to say which is better here, the rest of the chain such as the DAC or other source devices also determine something else.

Jan 7, 2024 at 3:30 AM Post #1,593 of 2,538
Hybrid amplifiers are better for planar headphones in combination and perform better.
Tube amplifiers are better for dynamic headphones, which means that planar headphones don't sound bad, but the sound is different.
I always thought OTC (transformer coupled) tube amps (like HA-3A, Feliks Envy etc) are equally good with Planars like hybrid tube amps, it is only OTL (transformer less) tube amps which don't have enough current for Planars, correct me if I am wrong.

Jan 7, 2024 at 3:33 AM Post #1,594 of 2,538
I always thought OTC (transformer coupled) tube amps (like HA-3A, Feliks Envy etc) are equally good with Planars like hybrid tube amps, it is only OTL (transformer less) tube amps which don't have enough current for Planars, correct me if I am wrong.
Correct. TC tube amps are good with planars, but some people still prefer them on SS amps. It is a matter of taste/system synergy/TC tube amp itself/tube set. I loved all the planars I tried on my HA-3A in my system.

Jan 7, 2024 at 9:12 AM Post #1,595 of 2,538
Just from my modest experience. Only after purchasing the HA-3A I’ve started to like my HE-1000SE, although still prefer my speaker setup. My previous headphone amp (SMSL SP400) is retired.

Jan 9, 2024 at 7:12 AM Post #1,596 of 2,538
Correct. TC tube amps are good with planars, but some people still prefer them on SS amps. It is a matter of taste/system synergy/TC tube amp itself/tube set. I loved all the planars I tried on my HA-3A in my system.

:beerchug::beerchug:
Very well-put, with transformer-coupled tube amplifiers, planars, and low impedance dynamics are not a limitation technically. So SS or tube is a matter of personal preference instead of a constraint.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 9, 2024 at 4:30 PM Post #1,597 of 2,538
Just want to say I've read through the entirety of this thread and I appreciate everyone's impressions and recommendations and thoughts throughout. Many of the tube suggestions I'll need to revisit later.

I dabbled very briefly in tubes about a year back with a Feliks Echo but was quite early in the hobby and my expectations (and experience) I think were misaligned and it left me fairly underwhelmed. I think at this point I'm ready to give tubes another go and have decided to do so with the Cayin HA-3A. It seemed like the right combination of sound quality, price, size, versatility and quality of life. Also it looks $!@#in' awesome.

I put in an order today so hopefully I'll have it late this week or early next. My hope is that it will give me a different flavour alongside my Violectric and allow me to continue fiddling and tweaking that flavour over time to keep things fresh.

*edit - I'm also praying to the power gods it's quiet when I plug it in. I definitely had some buzz with the Echo, an Elise I tried briefly was pretty quiet*

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 6:39 PM Post #1,598 of 2,538
Just want to say I've read through the entirety of this thread and I appreciate everyone's impressions and recommendations and thoughts throughout. Many of the tube suggestions I'll need to revisit later.

I dabbled very briefly in tubes about a year back with a Feliks Echo but was quite early in the hobby and my expectations (and experience) I think were misaligned and it left me fairly underwhelmed. I think at this point I'm ready to give tubes another go and have decided to do so with the Cayin HA-3A. It seemed like the right combination of sound quality, price, size, versatility and quality of life. Also it looks $!@#in' awesome.

I put in an order today so hopefully I'll have it late this week or early next. My hope is that it will give me a different flavour alongside my Violectric and allow me to continue fiddling and tweaking that flavour over time to keep things fresh.

*edit - I'm also praying to the power gods it's quiet when I plug it in. I definitely had some buzz with the Echo, an Elise I tried briefly was pretty quiet*
I'm having some noise issues with mine, but its due to my setup 99% sure.

I've had USB noise coming from one of my DACS and could only hear it through the Cayin. Also had RF noise from my Access points. Quickly solved these issues, but I still have some noise coming from my power :cold_sweat:

As I've said, these are most likely all issues from my chain / setup, But only reveal themselves with this AMP. Other than that, I can say hands down that this AMP was one of the only upgrades , apart from headphones that impressed me. It trumps my solid states and I'm now seeing if I can find a similar 'big' sounding solid state :beyersmile:

Goodluck and enjoy!

Jan 10, 2024 at 6:07 AM Post #1,599 of 2,538
Anyone who has tried the HA-3A with the RCA connectors and then afterwards the XLR ? Any difference?
They've been connected through RCA for a while now. Got my d90 A90 combo connected through XLR.
D90 to ha3A with RCA. I'm not a big believer in any changes through cables, but who knows? :p
Any experiences?

Jan 10, 2024 at 6:17 AM Post #1,600 of 2,538
Anyone who has tried the HA-3A with the RCA connectors and then afterwards the XLR ? Any difference?
They've been connected through RCA for a while now. Got my d90 A90 combo connected through XLR.
D90 to ha3A with RCA. I'm not a big believer in any changes through cables, but who knows? :p
Any experiences?
It is not necessarily about interconnect cables, but most DACs have a lot higher output voltage on XLR and if it is a balanced DAC, then they reach their peak performance on balanced out. This can affect sound by giving more headroom to your headphones, potentially increasing perceived clarity and dynamics. With my DAC I prefer balanced connection.

Jan 10, 2024 at 6:21 AM Post #1,601 of 2,538
Any experiences?
I am running the D90 as well.

You will get more power with XLR resulting in a higher volume output and the same volume level compared to RCA.

Jan 10, 2024 at 10:44 PM Post #1,603 of 2,538
I am running the D90 as well.

You will get more power with XLR resulting in a higher volume output and the same volume level compared to RCA.
IMO if a dac has a balanced output, it usually means that the dac has been designed to run in balanced. And if you run a balanced dac through the single ended output (RCA) you are basically using only 50% of your dac.

Jan 10, 2024 at 11:44 PM Post #1,604 of 2,538
IMO if a dac has a balanced output, it usually means that the dac has been designed to run in balanced. And if you run a balanced dac through the single ended output (RCA) you are basically using only 50% of your dac.
i think a lot more than you would imagine include xlr just for the sake of convenience, companies such as chord and rme come to mind.

Jan 11, 2024 at 8:51 AM Post #1,605 of 2,538
Nope, you have to look into outout stage of the DAC circuit, details such as VI or LPF network will review whether the DAC is a differential design. You can have single-ended output from balaned designed DAC, and balanced output from single-ended designed DAC, for the latter, all you need is to addan Op Amp. to perform single-ended to balance conversion before output to XLR outputs.

The difference is far less significant, 50% in terms of rated output level but they are normally fully compensated by the voltage gain stage of your amplifier. The most significant different is dynamic range (around 3dB +/-) and channel separation (10 dB), and only the latter is clearly audible in most systems.

However, if your amplifier is single-ended by design, the channel separation of DAC will be reduced after going through the amplifier, that's why I don't recommend using 4.4mm to RCA or XLR to RCA adapter cable "to get the best from DAC", it doesn't work that way IMHO

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back