Cayin HA-3A, a Compact 6V6s Transformer-coupled Tube Amplifier
Dec 23, 2023 at 4:47 AM Post #1,546 of 2,341
@Andykong In fact, I've already tried every option available to me. I replaced the whole set of tubes (v1-v4) to other 4 tubes. I've changed all cables, tried different rooms and sockets, different headphone outputs, changed gain. None of this has helped, so I'm going to try taking the device to service.

The only thing I couldn't do is replace the 25AX4GT because I can't buy that anywhere, have to order overseas.

Dec 23, 2023 at 5:46 AM Post #1,547 of 2,341
My own issues with my amp was resolved the moment I switched to new cables and tried different sockets. If that didn't help (and if you said the issue shows up in the indicators), it does look like you might have a hardware issue, unfortunately.

Trying a new rectifier tube might be a good idea though, given what it does in a tube amp. Anything's better than shipping out a 12kg's worth of amplifier back...

Dec 25, 2023 at 8:42 PM Post #1,548 of 2,341
@Andykong In fact, I've already tried every option available to me. I replaced the whole set of tubes (v1-v4) to other 4 tubes. I've changed all cables, tried different rooms and sockets, different headphone outputs, changed gain. None of this has helped, so I'm going to try taking the device to service.

The only thing I couldn't do is replace the 25AX4GT because I can't buy that anywhere, have to order overseas.
If you could report what was the problem when fixed would be most interesting.Years ago spoke to a Tech who fixed tube amps and he was against using NOS valves preferred using current production valves,as he had repaired many that had issues solely due to people replacing the current production valves with NOS valves.

Dec 26, 2023 at 1:21 AM Post #1,549 of 2,341

You have replaced all four tubes haven't tried swapping the original tubes?

Statistically, this doesn't eliminate the possibility of being a tube-related issue. Yes, the chance is slim but the most straightforward testing process is to swap tubes when you have noise in one channel only. Swap it once, if the noise remains, and then swap the tubes back to the original position, this is a quick and definite process to prove that the noise is not related to your tubes.

Likewise with charging cables. Instead of changing to a new set of cables, please swap the left and right channels of a cable that currently displays noise.

You don't have to switch back to your previous tube. If the noise is present with your current tube and cable, just try it with your current items, its time to discuss it with your local dealer, or the shop that sells you the amplifier because the remaining problem will be specific setup-related or hardware-related, I can't help with these, you need local support.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 26, 2023 at 4:29 AM Post #1,550 of 2,341
You have replaced all four tubes haven't tried swapping the original tubes?
Hi, thanks for keeping your hand on the pulse.

At the moment, I got rid of the noise and crackling, I just test it three days in a row and the result is positive.

First, I contacted my local dealer and they kindly offered me to bring the device to their service to diagnose the problem. This was on a Friday and we made an appointment on Monday.

On Saturday I swapped a set of tubes (2+2) for the stock set (although I had done this before, it didn't solve the problem). This time I also checked that the RCA cables were not in contact with the power cord. And some of that worked!

In the end, I decided not to go to service for now and observe the result. To be honest I'm already afraid to change anything :)

Dec 26, 2023 at 4:39 AM Post #1,551 of 2,341
You don't have to switch back to your previous tube. If the noise is present with your current tube and cable, just try it with your current items
You see, the problem was present with more than one set of tubes, and more than one set of cables. It was with ALL the components.

I tried changing a pair of RCA cables to a pair of XLR cables, it didn't help. I don't see the point of swapping right and left cables if I swapped the whole pair for another pair and even the amp inputs.

I also don't see the point of swapping out the tubes (right and left) if I swapped out the entire 4 stock (2 JJ + 2 EE) tubes, for 4 tubes (2 Genalex + 2 Genalex). 4 on 4. And the problem persisted.

My only guess is that maybe the interconnect cables really did come in contact with the power cord and it caused some serious resonance.

Dec 26, 2023 at 4:40 AM Post #1,552 of 2,341
Dec 26, 2023 at 5:53 AM Post #1,553 of 2,341
I don't use NOS tubes
What's the reason if I may ask? Sure NOS tubes are a bit of a gamble, but from trustworthy sellers you can find good ones. Good NOS tubes to me always sound better than almost any new production tubes. Although the new tubes from Apos Audio are really a decent deal.

Dec 26, 2023 at 6:11 AM Post #1,554 of 2,341
What's the reason if I may ask?
I bought the amp not too long ago and haven't had a chance to try the NOS tubes yet. I was recommended Genalex for better sound quality (resolution, dynamics, transparency, stage and so on) and this is the first set I've invested in.

Dec 26, 2023 at 7:19 AM Post #1,555 of 2,341
I bought the amp not too long ago and haven't had a chance to try the NOS tubes yet. I was recommended Genalex for better sound quality (resolution, dynamics, transparency, stage and so on) and this is the first set I've invested in.
Ah, ok. I thought it is a principle and not a just a current circumstance.

Dec 26, 2023 at 7:21 AM Post #1,556 of 2,341
I also don't see the point of swapping out the tubes (right and left) if I swapped out the entire 4 stock (2 JJ + 2 EE) tubes, for 4 tubes (2 Genalex + 2 Genalex). 4 on 4. And the problem persisted.

Hi, sorry to barge in.
@Andykong pointed out the rationale of the troubleshooting process. Any tshoot process has a logic line of thought, ideally by "probable culprit elimination".
In a system (whichever it may be), if you swap the premise, and the symptom is carried into the new position, your "culprit" is identified.

Hope your problem gets solved once and for all.

Dec 26, 2023 at 7:54 AM Post #1,557 of 2,341
You see, the problem was present with more than one set of tubes, and more than one set of cables. It was with ALL the components.

I tried changing a pair of RCA cables to a pair of XLR cables, it didn't help. I don't see the point of swapping right and left cables if I swapped the whole pair for another pair and even the amp inputs.

My only guess is that maybe the interconnect cables really did come in contact with the power cord and it caused some serious resonance.

These are the basic troubleshooting procedures we perform regularly at our Engineering workshop. The principle behind these practices was to avoid new variables as much as possible, and only work with ONE variable at each move. New vacuum tubes and new interconnects are new variables when you debug a sound system.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 26, 2023 at 8:15 AM Post #1,558 of 2,341
May I ask you what power cord it is? Not the stock one?
Since HA-3A is desktop amplifier, it’s hard to avoid different cables of being close to each other. When I was new in audio, the first thing I’ve noticed was the positive effect of using screened power cords.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #1,559 of 2,341
What's the reason if I may ask? Sure NOS tubes are a bit of a gamble, but from trustworthy sellers you can find good ones. Good NOS tubes to me always sound better than almost any new production tubes. Although the new tubes from Apos Audio are really a decent deal.
Just put a pair of Apos tubes in my HA-3A, very impressive so far, have not changed the 6v6 so far, will give the Apos a while to settle in. Really enjoying my HE1000 Stealth on this amp.

Dec 26, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #1,560 of 2,341
May I ask you what power cord it is? Not the stock one?
The point is that cables can come in contact with cables from other devices, so it doesn't matter if the cables are stock or custom.

At the moment the amp is away from other devices, I use hiby rs8 as a source. so for now it is easier to control that the cables do not touch. but of course I plan to connect the amp with other devices and if the crackling appears again I will just sell this amp, I don't like when devices give me problems and discomfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back