Cayin HA-3A, a Compact 6V6s Transformer-coupled Tube Amplifier
Sep 21, 2023 at 7:54 AM Post #1,336 of 2,534
IMG_6426.jpg
Joined the club ZMF Atrium + Cayin, first impressions are amazing!!! :)

Just find the Cayin's feet very slippery, saw that some people changed them completely but is there a simpler/ easier solution?
Great pic, but I can't help but notice the ear pads are on backwards on those beautiful ZMF's.

Sep 21, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #1,337 of 2,534
Great pic, but I can't help but notice the ear pads are on backwards on those beautiful ZMF's.
:beyersmile:well spotted... I was very new to ZMF, all good now!

Sep 23, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #1,338 of 2,534
Need a DAC recommendation to pair with HA-3A, currently I using tidal/qobuz/flac>Roon>Mojo2+Poly>amp, at this point I’m considering many options, like chord Qutest, Eversolo DMP-A6 ME, Rose Hifi RS250, Topping D70 Pro Octo or Sabre, I tend to prioritise SQ but I also like the bells & whistles that some DACs have…

any experience with these DACs or others are welcome guys.

Sep 23, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #1,339 of 2,534
Anyone who says the rectifier (22DE4 in my amp) does not make a difference in the sound is crazy.
Totally agree. Im listening to Raytheon ck5814a windmill getter and Visseaux 6v6g/t with my mango AC these days.
Changing from Japanese grey plate to Sylvania 22de4 recitifiers tightens up the sound significantly. Japanese top getter 22de4 sound almost as tight but with a little bit more decay.
PXL_20230923_090626075.MP.jpg

Japanese grey plate recitifier stays the most dynamic and fun choice. It's one step ahead of the American recitifiers.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #1,340 of 2,534
I got a Meze Elite demo unit to try at home and it's really a great match with the HA-3A. I still prefer the LCD 4 though as it has more resolution, more refined and textured bass, more extended treble, faster and more pinpoint imaging, more lifelike instrumental timbre. The Elite has great vocals and its an all round great headphone but just not for me in comparison with the LCD 4.

Attachments

• 20230923_214811.jpg
    20230923_214811.jpg
    880.4 KB · Views: 0
Sep 23, 2023 at 7:13 PM Post #1,341 of 2,534
I just put a single ended 1/4 on the Elite as I was using a 4 pin cable and now the experience is a lot better with the impedance on the high setting. Maybe there was too much current being run through the headphone with the 4 pin cable as switching impedance with that cable basically did nothing. I can hear a difference now switching impedance settings with the 1/4 cable and much more enjoying it now.

Sep 23, 2023 at 8:09 PM Post #1,342 of 2,534
I just put a single ended 1/4 on the Elite as I was using a 4 pin cable and now the experience is a lot better with the impedance on the high setting. Maybe there was too much current being run through the headphone with the 4 pin cable as switching impedance with that cable basically did nothing. I can hear a difference now switching impedance settings with the 1/4 cable and much more enjoying it now.
I own no headphones that sound good out of the 4 pin output of the HA-3A. The Utopia prefers the 4.4 low output and my ZMF dynamics prefer the 1/4" low output. The new Modhouse Tungsten and Susvara, both of which I only demo'ed briefly, are the only two headphones that sounded right out of the 4 pin output.

I actually picked up 4.4mm male to XLR female and 1/4" male to XLR female adapters so that I could use all my 4-pin headphone cables with this amp. As much nuance as there is, it is amazing to have so many power and impedance output settings to dial in the sound depending on the headphone.

Use this as a point of reference and a reminder of just how many different combinations there really are between the three ouputs:

1670381665884895.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2023 at 8:14 PM Post #1,343 of 2,534
I own no headphones that sound good out of the 4 pin output of the HA-3A. The Utopia prefers the 4.4 low output and my ZMF dynamics prefer the 1/4" low output. The new Modhouse Tungsten and Susvara, both of which which I only demo'ed briefly, are the only two headphones that sounded right out of the 4 pin output.

I actually picked up 4.4mm male to XLR female and 1/4" male to XLR female adapters so that I could use all my 4-pin headphone cables with this amp. As much nuance as there is, it is amazing to have so many power and impedance output settings to dial in the sound depending on the headphone.

Use this as a point of reference and a reminder of just how many different combinations there really are between the three ouputs:

1670381665884895.jpg
Thanks for the input.

My HE100SE sounds best out of the 1/4 connector but the LCD 4 is power hungry so it needs the 4 pin connection. Once I put that 1/4 cable on the Elite the headphone completely changed.

Did you get this adaptor? Will this work?

https://www.designacable.com/neutri...bXcFiktn77UfWIfObkKFVw8x9qi1gPehoCU9cQAvD_BwE

Sep 23, 2023 at 9:00 PM Post #1,344 of 2,534
Thanks for the input.

My HE100SE sounds best out of the 1/4 connector but the LCD 4 is power hungry so it needs the 4 pin connection. Once I put that 1/4 cable on the Elite the headphone completely changed.

Did you get this adaptor? Will this work?

https://www.designacable.com/neutri...bXcFiktn77UfWIfObkKFVw8x9qi1gPehoCU9cQAvD_BwE
You don't want that one as that is a 3-pin connector.

I purchased my two adapters:

https://fogcityaudio.com/products/copy-of-4-pin-xlr-to-1-4-adaptor-ready-to-ship
https://fogcityaudio.com/products/female-4-pin-xlr-to-4-4mm-adaptor-ready-to-ship

from Fog City Audio. Patrick will customize them any way you want (I had mine made with unsleeved cable and only 4" between the connectors) and every adapter I have purchased has been produced and shipped within a day or two. I am not sure what shipping is like to the UK though.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #1,345 of 2,534
You don't want that one as that is a 3-pin connector.

I purchased my two adapters from Fog City Audio:

https://fogcityaudio.com/products/copy-of-4-pin-xlr-to-1-4-adaptor-ready-to-ship
https://fogcityaudio.com/products/female-4-pin-xlr-to-4-4mm-adaptor-ready-to-ship

from Fog City Audio. Patrick will customize them any way you want (I had mine made with unsleeved cable and only 4" between the connectors) and every adapter I have purchased has been produced and shipped within a day or two. I am not sure what shipping is like to the UK though.
Oh yeah its 4 pin my bad thanks for the links I will check it out.

Will this be ok as shipping will be a lot faster https://www.amazon.co.uk/6-35mm-Balanced-Headphone-Adapter-Crystal/dp/B07MKH84VM?th=1

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #1,346 of 2,534
Need a DAC recommendation to pair with HA-3A, currently I using tidal/qobuz/flac>Roon>Mojo2+Poly>amp, at this point I’m considering many options, like chord Qutest, Eversolo DMP-A6 ME, Rose Hifi RS250, Topping D70 Pro Octo or Sabre, I tend to prioritise SQ but I also like the bells & whistles that some DACs have…

any experience with these DACs or others are welcome guys.

Qutest should be the easy answer as you like Mojo 2. Especially with their now discounted price.

However, I saw your signature, with Atrium + HA-3A actually I quite like Gustard R26 as DAC.

Sep 24, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #1,347 of 2,534
Qutest should be the easy answer as you like Mojo 2. Especially with their now discounted price.

However, I saw your signature, with Atrium + HA-3A actually I quite like Gustard R26 as DAC
Seems A26 is even better, what do you think?

Oct 4, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #1,349 of 2,534
How does this amp compare with the McIntosh MHA200? I heard that amp recently with the Stellia and a high-end CD player and was very impressed. The Cayin seems like the obvious choice as an alternative that doesn't carry the brand name upcharge. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Oct 4, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #1,350 of 2,534
How does this amp compare with the McIntosh MHA200? I heard that amp recently with the Stellia and a high-end CD player and was very impressed. The Cayin seems like the obvious choice as an alternative that doesn't carry the brand name upcharge. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I cannot speak about the sound differences but the Cayin has more power than the McIntosh and it has a more premium build but a larger footprint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back