Cayin HA-3A, a Compact 6V6s Transformer-coupled Tube Amplifier
Jul 8, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #1,201 of 2,346
Rolling the 12AU7 will provide a bigger impact on sound signature than the 6V6s. Rolling the power tube will improve the dynamic, soundstage, handling, .... etc.
Thanks! I’ve got some NOS of both types on order and am looking forward to my first rolling session. I appreciate your advice. So far I am absolutely in love with this little masterpiece of an amp. With my Elites it has opened the door to complete sonic bliss! :k701smile:

Jul 8, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #1,202 of 2,346
PXL_20230707_112932147.MP.jpg

Got some rare tubes in from Langrex. Philips Ecc82 early version with welded long plates. They sound warm, lush, with great staging and resonance. Very different from their later vintages. They have the delta symbol on the bottom of the glass. So they're manufacturered by Philips.

PXL_20230708_181418329.MP.jpg

With Mazda 6v6g and Japanese grey plates 22de4 a wonderful combination.

Very happy I got the last pair of these tubes. Brimar 13d5 or Mullard long plates sound similar and are not far behind.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #1,203 of 2,346
PXL_20230707_112932147.MP.jpg
Got some rare tubes in from Langrex. Philips Ecc82 early version with welded long plates. They sound warm, lush, with great staging and resonance. Very different from their later vintages. They have the delta symbol on the bottom of the glass. So they're manufacturered by Philips.

PXL_20230708_181418329.MP.jpg
With Mazda 6v6g and Japanese grey plates 22de4 a beautiful combination.

Very happy I got the last pair of these tubes. Brimar 13d5 or Mullard long plates sound similar and are not far behind.
Love those old Mazda 6V6Gs, very cool looking! Looks like you have a great combination there. Happy listening! :)

Jul 12, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #1,204 of 2,346
Just pulled the trigger on an HA-3A after selling a Feliks Echo MKII.

What are some tube recommendations so I know what my next jump in money is going to be?

Jul 12, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #1,205 of 2,346

What are some tube recommendations so I know what my next jump in money is going to be?
Tubes really are a can of worms. I have purchased a few sets of each of the three tubes the HA-3A takes. I find the most versatile and enjoyable combo has been:

Mazda 6v6GT
Phillips/Amperex ECC82 (mine are branded Valvo)
Sylvania 22DE4

This combo is very neutral but very dynamic. It is not the warm syrupy tube sound some are after (just not my thing). But my Auteur Classic and Caldera sound fantastic out of this combo. My Atrium sounds the best with this combo:

RCA 6v6GT
RCA Clear Top 12AU7
GE 22DE4

If you just purchased the amp it is likely one of the newer models that no longer uses the 22DE4 though.

PXL_20230215_041000710.NIGHT (1).jpg

Jul 12, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #1,206 of 2,346

Hi , I give you the same advice that others have given me, use it a little with the stock tubes, when you know the sound well you can try other tubes for the tonality you want, the rectifier makes almost no difference, the preamplifier tubes make a lot difference , a little less the power tubes , at the moment I 'm using some 5814 GE and 6V6GT Reflektor ( recommended by a member ) and I really like them , but as you know taste is subjective , however it is a great amp whatever tube you put in it :L3000:

Jul 12, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #1,207 of 2,346
Thanks for the advice. It ships out tomorrow so I should have it by the end of next week. I'm looking forward to using it for at least a month or so before I start buying some tubes to roll but if some pop up on the second hand market it's good to have a rough idea of costs associated.

Thanks to @wizzman121 and yourself for steering me in the right direction.

Jul 12, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #1,208 of 2,346
Thanks for the advice. It ships out tomorrow so I should have it by the end of next week. I'm looking forward to using it for at least a month or so before I start buying some tubes to roll but if some pop up on the second hand market it's good to have a rough idea of costs associated.

Thanks to @wizzman121 and yourself for steering me in the right direction.
I don't understand why people say to use the stock tubes for a while? We all switch them out and never put them back in once we get some NOS tubes especially when you get some Mullard's and Sylvania's.:darthsmile:

Jul 12, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #1,209 of 2,346
I don't understand why people say to use the stock tubes for a while? We all switch them out and never put them back in once we get some NOS tubes especially when you get some Mullard's and Sylvania's.:darthsmile:
So you can truly appreciate the NOS tubes. :wink:

Jul 12, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #1,210 of 2,346
I agree with you to some degree. However, if you have no reference point to start with you don't really know what changes the new tubes are making. Some improve things, some don't. Some combos are magical and some are terrible. If you are just going to purchase a whole bunch of tubes right off the bat then there is not much point getting acquainted with the stock tubes though.

the rectifier makes almost no difference

This has not been my observation with the 22DE4 rectifier. The difference between the stock JJ (smooth and soft), GE (improved bass authority and a little better clarity) and the Sylvania (superior resolution and dynamics) is quiet noticeable to me. It is not good, better, best though. It is all about matching and balancing with the other tubes. Maybe this is not the case with the new rectifier tube style they are using now.

Jul 12, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #1,211 of 2,346
I agree with you to some degree. However, if you have no reference point to start with you don't really know what changes the new tubes are making. Some improve things, some don't. Some combos are magical and some are terrible. If you are just going to purchase a whole bunch of tubes right off the bat then there is not much point getting acquainted with the stock tubes though.

This has not been my observation with the 22DE4 rectifier. The difference between the stock JJ (smooth and soft), GE (improved bass authority and a little better clarity) and the Sylvania (superior resolution and dynamics) is quiet noticeable to me. It is not good, better, best though. It is all about matching and balancing with the other tubes. Maybe this is not the case with the new rectifier tube style they are using now.
I'll be honest, I was using the stock tubes for maybe a week as I was waiting for some NOS tubes and I was really having a bad experience. Everything sounded too muddy and smoothed over, bass was lacking and I just didnt want to listen to the amp but once I got some more tubes everything changed and it became my favourite amp to listen my headphones on.

Jul 12, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #1,212 of 2,346
We all switch them out and never put them back in once we get some NOS tubes
Or at least replace with modern Tung-Sol 12AU7W (6189) and 6V6GT.
They are excellent lamps.

Jul 12, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #1,213 of 2,346

Indeed my amp has an RCA 25AX4 as its stock rectifier 😌

Jul 15, 2023 at 8:08 AM Post #1,214 of 2,346
Where can one purchase another stock rectifier tube?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back