Cayin HA-3A, a Compact 6V6s Transformer-coupled Tube Amplifier
Nov 6, 2022 at 8:32 PM Post #481 of 2,341
Sorry for the late reply, I don't spend that much time online.
No idea how it is with the HA-6A, but with the 3A it works, meanwhile even "officially":

1667759961839.png

Original Post:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...-coupled-tube-amplifier.963983/#post-17031177

The E80CC is a very good tube, but it should be noted that it also provides more power, so nothing for easy to drive cans.
My LCD4 normally runs on Gain M, but with the E80CC on L.

The sound is outstanding, voices and string instruments get a never heard magic, better than any other tube I have!

If I were you I would ask Cayin if you can use them in your 6A, it's worth it :)
I pm'ed Cayin here at the forum but have not received any response yet.

Nov 8, 2022 at 4:20 AM Post #482 of 2,341
Small PSA for people looking for a nice way to raise the tube cage on HA-3A. I found these Monacor banana plugs and they are the best fit for now imho. They fit very nicely and the cage is sturdily held in place by them.

https://www.monacor.com/products/co...-in-connectors/plugs-and-inline-jacks/bp-104/

1667899099198.png
1667899116047.png

Nov 9, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #483 of 2,341
PXL_20221109_135733555.jpg

Those tungsol black and also clear glass both from the 50s are really cool. Very smooth sounding tubes, good bass, not overly warm but something very lovely is going on in the midrange.

The black glass version was very hard to find in a pristine condition. Now I got 3 pairs at once. Overkill 😩

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2022 at 6:19 PM Post #484 of 2,341

Bought the RCA Clear Tops from this list. The Fivre 6v6gt with stock 12au7 tubes really warmed up the sound, so I tried to balance it with a bright tube. It did for the most part by tightening up the bass and a larger, airy soundstage - but now I get thin, scooped mids with noticeable sibilance. Not a good pairing...

Now I'm trying to see what's a good middle ground. What exactly is a "lively 3D midrange"? How warm is the bottom-right section?

Nov 10, 2022 at 7:45 PM Post #485 of 2,341
Bought the RCA Clear Tops from this list. The Fivre 6v6gt with stock 12au7 tubes really warmed up the sound, so I tried to balance it with a bright tube. It did for the most part by tightening up the bass and a larger, airy soundstage - but now I get thin, scooped mids with noticeable sibilance. Not a good pairing...
You bought the most bright 12au7 and paired it with a somewhat bright 6v6.
Try warm 6v6 and you should have better results. That would be Tungsol, RCA grey glass or GTA, Australian Philips, National Union Grey Glass.

Sylvania black plates 12au7 pairs amazing with your Fivre 6v6. Sylvanias are warm to balance the Fivres.

In general I always use a more neutral and a warm tube together to get the most out of both worlds.

Now I'm trying to see what's a good middle ground. What exactly is a "lively 3D midrange"? How warm is the bottom-right section?

I don't know what lively midrange means hahahha but i would say a french made Mazda/Radio technique ecc82 is lively in the upper mids, just a little less bright than RCA clear tops.
Those Philips/Amperex 12au7 are my reference tubes for testing new 6v6 tubes, very balanced overall. Good low-end, present midrange, not offensive highs, not overly warm.

Mullard boxed plates and long plates is not overly warm but they definitely go that direction.

Brimars, GE black plates and CBS Black plates are definitely warmer and very rich. You need to pair them with a neutral 6v6 like Visseaux, Mazda, NU black glass, Philips or Kenrad 6v6.

That chart is only a general guidance. I found it when reading about 12au7 and it gave me a direction what to look for.

Tungsol 12au7 50s is definitely not a bright tube. Very inoffensive, smooth with a warm midrange. I would disagree the chart here.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2022 at 10:00 PM Post #486 of 2,341
Try warm 6v6 and you should have better results. That would be Tungsol, RCA grey glass or GTA, Australian Philips, National Union Grey Glass.

A pair of Sylvania black plates 12au7 pairs amazing with your Fivre 6v6. Sylvanias are warm to balance the Fivres.

In general I always use a more neutral and a warm tube together to get the most out of both worlds.

I don't know what lively midrange means hahahha but i would say a french made Mazda/Radio technique ecc82 is lively in the upper mids, just a little less than RCA clear tops.
Those Philips/Amperex 12au7 are my reference tubes for testing new 6v6 tubes, very balanced overall. Good low-end, present midrange, not offensive highs, not overly warm.

Mullard boxed plates and long plates is not overly warm but they definitely go that direction.

Brimars, GE black plates and CBS Black plates are definitely warmer and very rich. You need to pair them with a neutral 6v6 like Visseaux, Mazda, NU black glass, Philips or Kenrad 6v6.

That chart is only a general guidance. I found it when reading about 12au7 and it gave me a direction what to look for.

Tungsol 12au7 50s is definitely not a bright tube. Very inoffensive, smooth with a warm midrange. I would disagree the chart here.
Thanks for the detailed response! The Fivre 6v6GT I bought are a lot warmer than the stock tubes. They are far from what I consider bright, so it might be unique to them?

I'll probably purchase the Philips/Amperex 12au7 and work my way from there! Maybe another 6v6, but trying to limit how much I spend before I get too carried away lol.

Nov 11, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #487 of 2,341
So I am still really new to tube amps, and have a stupid question. Does the output impedance switch give you what the amp output impedance is, or what range of headphone impedance to use? eg: 8-64ohm, use headphones from 8ohm to 64ohm? Sorry if this seems dumb, but looking at this amp, and some ampsandsound amplifiers, I’m a little confused as those amps have two outputs, showing 8ohm and 100ohm, my brain goes to, “use 8ohm and up” and “use 100ohm and up”. Am I looking at this wrong?

Nov 11, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #488 of 2,341
Thanks for the detailed response! The Fivre 6v6GT I bought are a lot warmer than the stock tubes. They are far from what I consider bright, so it might be unique to them?
Yes I have those too. 6v6gt and 6v6g sound just the same. They are warm but somewhat forward in the voices area.

Grab yourself a pair of Mazda 6v6gt by that seller aswell. They are my reference neutral 6v6 and readily available.
Brimar long plates will be amazing with the Mazdas.
A pair of RCA/Sylvania black plates should be easy to get also.

I'll probably purchase the Philips/Amperex 12au7 and work my way from there! Maybe another 6v6, but trying to limit how much I spend before I get too carried away lol.
Sadly I'm far beyond that point already. Tubes are an addiction hehe.

I didn't give the RCA clear tops a real chance yet. I might try to find some nice combinations for it the next days. In my chain they might not be as thin as in yours. My DAC and ZMF headphones are on the warm side already.

I did try RCA clear tops with Tungsol 6v6gt and it sounds fabulous. Like the amp is on steroids, good resolution and elevated top end but it never sounds thin. The RCAs really balance those very warm syrupy Tungsols.
Tomorrow I might try them with RCA vt-107.

Nov 13, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #489 of 2,341
I am currently running the combo.
Sylvania 22DE4, „Blackburn“ Mullards ECC82 and Fivre 6V6G.
That is a very balanced to warm/relaxed combination to me.

Nov 15, 2022 at 4:18 PM Post #490 of 2,341
PXL_20221115_140859638.jpg

Something for the collectors here. Mostly prewar 6v6g tubes with commercial branding.
Especially the clear glass versions are very cool. RCA on the left and NU to the right both without the grey coating of the wartime vintage.

I don't expect them to sound different to the later vintages or the 6v6gt but still very excited to try them 😁

Trying the Sylvania 6v6g and Raytheon 12au7 black plates right now. I must admit with those tubes a GE 22de4 sounds better than my Sicte. Very surprised so far I was absolutely sure Sicte is superior because of its clarity. GE seem to excel in staging especially paired with more neutral tubes.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #491 of 2,341

Sylvania black plates 12au7 pairs amazing with your Fivre 6v6. Sylvanias are warm to balance the Fivres.

I don't know what lively midrange means hahahha but i would say a french made Mazda/Radio technique ecc82 is lively in the upper mids, just a little less bright than RCA clear tops.

I got Valvo branded Phillips/Amperex ECC82 tubes. First listen and I already love these. These really do sound like a good reference set. Sounds detailed without the slight harshness of the RCA Clear Tops - however, I did find the Clear Tops perfectly fine for instrumental music.

I do wish I was more careful installing though. Didn’t realize how easy it was to smear off the logo with sweaty fingers… Doesn’t look as nice as the picture anymore.

I might buy the Mazda 6V6GT soon as well and see how that compares to the Fivre.

Edit: Wow, these tubes are noisy through the 6.5mm output. Didn’t realize how much the 4.4mm attenuated noise.

I just switched the tube channels and now the noise is gone. Wonder if it was a temporary problem or something…

Attachments

• 4BED2A2A-173D-4307-8C5A-2390712B886C.jpeg
    4BED2A2A-173D-4307-8C5A-2390712B886C.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 18, 2022 at 7:19 AM Post #492 of 2,341
Hi there,

Just bought Cayin HA-3A in son-video very cheap probably getting it next week. I come from Cayin HA-6A so I expect the HA-3A can perform at almost similar level with the right valves but without the problem I had with my HPs being so easy to drive with a beast like HA-6A!

So far I already bought a couple of Tungsram ecc82 very cheap and looking to get some 6v6 to begin with tube rolling asap haha

Nov 19, 2022 at 2:17 AM Post #493 of 2,341
Hi there,

Just bought Cayin HA-3A in son-video very cheap probably getting it next week. I come from Cayin HA-6A so I expect the HA-3A can perform at almost similar level with the right valves but without the problem I had with my HPs being so easy to drive with a beast like HA-6A!

So far I already bought a couple of Tungsram ecc82 very cheap and looking to get some 6v6 to begin with tube rolling asap haha
Did you sell you ha-6a? Hope to hear some short comparison between the ha3a, 6a and thr1. The kinki and ha3a comparison especially

Nov 19, 2022 at 5:16 AM Post #494 of 2,341
Honestly I don't know how anyone can use the HA-6A or HA-300 with ZMF/sensitive headphones. With my ZMF VC driven from my HA-3A using the 4.4mm jack the amount of usable volume is only around 60° so I can't imagine how little control you would have with Cayins more powerful amps.

Don't get me wrong the ZMF VC/HA-3A combo sounds great and using the lower powered 4.4mm output there is enough volume control for it to work fine. I definitely don't regret my purchase.

For reference the rating of the lowest output of the HA-3A is 230mW compared to 750mW for the HA-6A and 1200mW for the HA-300. I know that doesn't tell the whole story but you get the idea.

Nov 19, 2022 at 6:35 AM Post #495 of 2,341
Did you sell you ha-6a? Hope to hear some short comparison between the ha3a, 6a and thr1. The kinki and ha3a comparison especially
Yeah, I had no room for volume like step 1 was already moderate and in the night almost loud using RCA-SE, little hiss when I replaced all valves but not really annoying at all, sound was really great. (I feel you @Rowethren)

I expect to have room with HA-3A and get the level of resolution I had with HA-6A using the right valves. Compared to the Kinki THR-1 the HA-6A had next level of resolution, clarity, speed and dynamics. I usually use EQ with THR-1 but not needed with the HA-6A as the bass was great and with the perfect quantity with GL KT88.

If they ever release HA-6A MK2 with 64 steps and a few improvements for hiss/hum, Cayin will sell it like churros.

My intention was to get HA-300 MK2 but I just can't risk to get 4500€ amp and not being able to use it with such easy to move HPs like D8KP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back