Cayin HA-3A, a Compact 6V6s Transformer-coupled Tube Amplifier
Oct 8, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #361 of 2,174
Well it seems the heater of your 6v6 and 12au7 tubes are not working. Only thing you can do is check the fuses at the back of the amp. There are replacement fuses included in the package. Changing fuses is described in the manual.
If that doesn't help you can only send back the amp and exchange for a new unit.
There are internal fuses aside from the fuse near the IEC plug, it is worth changing these. I believe they are so ewhat easy to get to and should be described in the user manual. I am hopeful this will fix it.
Sympathies....have to agree with Zach, something probably got disconnected in all the traveling.

If you did not want to send it back...

A local TV repair place should be able to take a look and see why the audio tubes are not getting the required 6.3 volts to heat the tubes...

If the fuse doesn't fix it, let me see if Cayin can give some suggestions. You might be able to find a local tech who can solder.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Oct 9, 2022 at 1:33 AM Post #363 of 2,174
Thanks for your report and sorry for getting back to you late because of the Holiday in China.

Mansinthe86 is correct. If your bought from Germany the units are 230V we sent to Germany. However as you said in Brazil you said it is 110V there. That might be the issue. Under such basis the amplifier needs to be re-wired to 110V so that you can use there. Once transformer is re-wired you also need to change the fuse. Value of fuse you got there are 230V units.​

Or if you have a Power Adapter you can use a Power adapter to avoid all these troubles. You will need a 110V to 230V Power adapter to give enough power to the amplifier.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 9, 2022 at 1:36 AM Post #364 of 2,174
Can anyone help me to work this amplifier?

I don't have much experience, but I also understand the basics. The amplifier turns on all the lights, is connected via RCA (as in the photos) and 3.5mm cable straight to the motherboard behind the case.

Everything lights up, but nothing works. What more to do? It's tested via XLR and 4.4mm with the correct terminations of the amplifier, set up RCA too. But nothing works, no sound comes out. Before this HA-3A I had a Darkvoice 336SE and everything worked wonderfully, the installation is the same for both, only this HA-3A doesn't come out any sound.

I've already tested it with the other two fuses it comes with (T1AL250V and T125mA250V), and nothing works either. Here the electrical current is 110V. I do not know what else to do.

Detail: the 22DE4 rectifier tube seems to be the only one that works (because it heats up) the other two tubes 6V6 and 12AU7 are at normal temperature.

img_1013ozdmw.jpg

img_1014dyi4a.jpg

As I already mentioned, only the 22DE4 tube glows and heats up, the others, nothing happens.
Everything lights up as in the photo, but no sound comes out. VU is locked because there is no sound.

I've used these two fuses to test what came with it, and nothing happens.

img_10227wiqj.jpg

@Cayin can you help me with this?

Germany is 240 volt. U are 120 Volt.
Germany is 50hz.. Brazil is 60hz. Maybe there is a issue?
Thanks for your report and sorry for getting back to you late because of the Holiday in China.

@Mansinthe86 is correct. If your bought from Germany the units are 230V we sent to Germany. However as you said in Brazil you said it is 110V there. That might be the issue. Under such basis the amplifier needs to be re-wired to 110V so that you can use there. Once transformer is re-wired you also need to change the fuse. Value of fuse you got there are for 230V units.​

Or if you have a Power Adapter you can use a Power adapter to avoid all these troubles. You will need a 110V to 230V Power adapter to give enough power to the amplifier.

Oct 9, 2022 at 1:42 AM Post #365 of 2,174
There are internal fuses aside from the fuse near the IEC plug, it is worth changing these. I believe they are so ewhat easy to get to and should be described in the user manual. I am hopeful this will fix it.

If the fuse doesn't fix it, let me see if Cayin can give some suggestions. You might be able to find a local tech who can solder.
Thanks very much for your help Zach. Here for the case it is the voltage issue. doze off bought from Germany where all units are 230V ones however local electric voltage is 110V in Brazil. If he bought from you and got the US Voltage ones it will be no problem to work there.

Oct 9, 2022 at 1:59 AM Post #366 of 2,174
TUBES-2.jpg
I also picked up a few backup 22DE4 when I ordered my 3A since they are the rare tubes for the amp. Although Cayin has said the power tube is expected to last 5-10 years but obviously that mileage is going to vary. I plan to pick up a few more once my rma has been resolved.

One of my tubes is slightly different than the stock tube that comes w/ the amp. Its the same RCA 22DE4 but its a coin-base. Can anyone explain the difference? Is there any advantage of one over the other?

EDIT: Correction, so the stock 3A tube is coin-based but the other RCA 22DE4 are not. Clarification on the differences would be great if anyone knows.
Very nice tubes. Regrading 22DE4 there are two types. One is coin-base and the other is like current EL34 etc with Surronded part beside the base. As for these two types from their specification and functionatily there are no difference. Just different visual look and produced in different times. Both can be used in HA-3A.

Oct 9, 2022 at 2:41 AM Post #367 of 2,174
My HA-3a has arrived and it is sounding good with my ZMF Verite Closed but I have a couple of issues.

First is the shielding seems to be way way worse than my Schiit Mjolnir 2. It is picking up considerable noise from my PC, my router and even my Logitech G502 Lightspeed where my Mjolnir 2 was dead silent. I have added a load of filtering to the cables and move the router to the other side of the room but even then there is significant noise that you can hear in the background of quiet parts of songs.

Another issue is with the amount of useable volume, I am in low impedance using the 6.3mm plug and the loudest useable volume for me is around 7:30 on the dial. If I used the impedance setting of high which is supposed to be the right one for the ZMF Verite Closed I can barely touch the dial before it blows my ears up! I guess the solution to this is get a 4.4mm cable which puts out less power but I ran my Mjolnir 2 which supposedly has way more power and I could get to 12:00 using the XLR out on low gain before it was too loud. Doesn't really make much sense to me...
Thanks very much for your report Rowethren. HA-3A is a fully tube based Headphone Amplifier. All stages are designed with tubes from the Power supply, to Prestage and Powerstage. Most tube followers also like to see the tubes and enjoy the warm light in front of them when they operated the Tube Amplifiers. As a result for our Tube Amplifiers all tubes are seated on the amplifier with a spare Vave cage. We have not shielded or screened the tubes. We have not put the tubes inside the body of the amplifier. If we did it will have a better sheiding but doing so you will not see the tubes.

Under such situation the tubes will pick up the Signal from the enviroment esp from Router or Base stations if there were nearby. As a result we suggest to locate the Tube Amplifier far way from the Router etc so that there will be no interfence signal picked up by the Tubes.

Oct 9, 2022 at 2:44 AM Post #368 of 2,174
So I've had some time now to sit down with the Cayin HA-3A demo unit and it's time to share some first impressions with you guys.

Build:
I have to say that it's beautifully built and looks stunning - as to be expected by Cayin by now. I really like the smallish footprint which is one of the reasons for me to consider it since it wouldn't fit on my desk otherwise.
The volume control feels very nice and has hardly any channel imbalance in the audible range. And I have to say - I love the white VUs and backlit volume indicator.

Sound:
Sound wise I'm A/B comparing it to my Singxer SA-1 and Auris Euterpe - and to my Cayin HA-1A MK2 from memory since I can't setup both at the same time. Headphones are Final D8000, Atrium and VC with Holo Spring 3 KTE.
First impression was that it's very full sounding. Very enjoyable bass amount but also control. Especially subbass and kick impact are superb and neither SA-1 nor Euterpe can keep up here. The midrange feels like the star of the show. Very full and organic sounding.
The one bit I see some potential for improvement is the treble incl. microdetails and texture. They are not bad by any means. Maybe I'm just to spoilt by the Euterpe which has excellent upper midrange and treble extension.

Tube Rolling:
One of the reasons why I wanted to demo the HA-3A was so I could check if it could run Philips E181CC pinched waist tubes which are my favorite 12AU7 alternative ever since I heard them the first time. My HA-1A MK2 has trouble with them because of noise level and sizzle noises from the tubes.
I'm very happy that for now the E181CC pairs very nicely with the HA-3A. A bit of sizzle when cold but then calming down pretty quickly. On D8k there is no noise floor on the XLR out. Both ZMF are ok on the XLR out but profit from the quieter 4.4 output a lot. It brings the noise floor to a hardly noticable level to make it a non issue for me - YAY. For comparison on HA-1A I had to unplug my ZMF when no music was playing since the noise floor was so prominent.
The stock JJ 12AU7 are ok with good noise floor performance but lack dynamics and treble resolution in comparison. Bass is also less controlled and a bit bloomy.
I also tried a pair of Amperex Bugle Boy 12AU7 and Siemens 12AU7. An improvement over the JJ for sure but the E181CC beats them all. They just combine dynamics, control, stage and sparkle in such a unique way. If you can handle the tad higher noise floor of them since they have a bit more gain than normal 12AU7.

Pairings:
Atrium:
From all three headphones I'd say that Atrium are the ones that are the least source picky in general. They sound good on a lot of sources. I love the low end and punch with them on the Cayin. One thing to note is though that I prefer them on the medium output impedance setting. On high they sound overly harsh and less natural overall.
VC:
VC is an important benchmark for me since I pretty much don't like them on solid state and they only come alive on a tube. Happy to report that the Cayin handles them very well. Superb, visceral low end and kick. Mids are nice pronounced and no harshness in the top end. Really nice combo. Best on high impedance imho.
D8K:
The D8k are one of the reasons why I'm looking for another tube amp next to my Auris Euterpe. The Euterpe is superb on the ZMF (with an added bass shelf because of the low end roll off of the amp) and even on D8k it's magical for calm acoustic music. But on more complex and bassier music the Euterpe just can't keep up with what the D8k can do.
The HA-3A on the other hand pairs very nicely with them. Addicting low end, punch and control. Very weighty and seductive combination. Imaging precision suffers a bit compared to SA-1 but rewards with a bigger stage, more space around instruments and a nice bump in the midrange for vocals. The overall presentation is more natural.

Inputs/Outputs:
First I have to say that it's very nice to have a tube amp with 6.3, 4.4 and 4 pin XLR outputs. For now all my tube amps where 6.3 SE. At the same time it's like having 10 amps and it's up to you to find the right combo. Every output sounds different. The 4-Pin XLR is the most powerful but also the noisiest. So I only really use it for D8k. The 4.4 has less power but also somehow reduces noise at the same time. Not sure how they achieve it but it works without too much impact on the sound quality but it sounds a tad less transparent compared to the 4-pin xlr imho. It's my go to output for the ZMF. 6.3 SE I didn't try that much yet honestly but when I did it also sounded different.
On the input side of things we have RCA and XLR. RCA goes directly to the pre tubes. The XLR first goes through an input transformer. Normally I planned on using it via RCA but once I hooked it up via XLR I have to say I prefer the XLR input. Cleaner sound with more punch and definition. Just snappier overall. I guess that's due to the hotter signal from the DAC. Zach also mentioned that the HA-300 MK2 profits from a hot input signal. And since the HA-3A is a scaled down HA-300 it makes sense to have a similar effect.
I'm feeding it with my Spring 3 KTE with Pre at 92/100. If I go up to 100 on the Spring it starts to distort the amp.

Power:
Some are concerned about the low specced output power of the amp. At least for all of my cans it's more than enough power. Not just for volume but also control. On XLR input I'm on 8 to 9 o'clock on the volume dial. It's maybe not made for Sus, HE-6 or Stealth/Expanse etc. but otherwise I wouldn't be to worried about the numbers.

Comparison to Cayin HA-1A MK2:
I think the HA-3A is an improvement over the HA-1A MK2 across the board. Technicallities are a clear step above. As good as no noise issues anymore. Much more delicate and more enjoyable overall. Pre-Outs on the HA-3A would have been nice but with all the other features you get it's something I'm ok with.

Current Conclusion:
Currently it's hard for me to say if it's the right amp for my setup and I need to spend some more time with it over the weekend. It does so many things right. I prefer it over the SA-1 in most aspects but I have the Zähl HM-1 coming so solid state will be covered in the future. So I want tubes for the certain magic. The Euterpe delivers here across the board except the low end and planar control. The low end I currently EQ in with a Lokius and in the future via HM-1 as pre. But it'll never have the low end control and full bodied sound the HA-3A can provide.
Where the Euterpe pulls ahead is the sparkle and pin point accuracy. I hope that this will maybe improve when swapping the stock JJ 6V6 power tubes for some better NOS tubes. I ordered some Sylvania 6V6G. These should arrive sometime next week hopefully.
If these can help in this aspect it would be a keeper for sure. It's a stunning package. Especially for the size and price.

Further notes after one more day of listening:
The combo with the Final D8k is so addictive. Spent the whole day listening to music and discovering new music and had an absolut blast. Strongly considering to hit up my dealer to tell him that he's not getting it back :darthsmile:

1664671667567.png 1664671692945.png
Thanks very much for sharing with us about your first impressions.

Oct 9, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #369 of 2,174
Just wanna report about my unit that I bought from ZMF. My current setup is Bluesound Node 2i > Ares 2 > HA-3A > Atrium. When the 2i turned off, It has a loud popping sound. But when 2i turned on, that sound is gone but it has ground noise. I tested with no music playing.

Oct 9, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #370 of 2,174
Just wanna report about my unit that I bought from ZMF. My current setup is Bluesound Node 2i > Ares 2 > HA-3A > Atrium. When the 2i turned off, It has a loud popping sound. But when 2i turned on, that sound is gone but it has ground noise. I tested with no music playing.

Are you sure it's not DC offset (transformer hum) caused by the ares?
Try to take the ares out of the setup.

Oct 9, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #371 of 2,174
Sounds like a normal day in tube amp world.

I had some ha-3a hum with my turntable phono but after some switching around of power plugs and connecting/disconnecting ground, moving stuff around, etc., the hum eventually disappeared. But it’s also something I experience with other tube devices. It’s just one of those annoying things that comes with tube territory I guess.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #372 of 2,174
I just found out about this amp recently. Is ZMF the only place it's being sold in the US? Will more stock be coming in soon if that's the case?

Oct 9, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #373 of 2,174
Sounds like a normal day in tube amp world.

I had some ha-3a hum with my turntable phono but after some switching around of power plugs and connecting/disconnecting ground, moving stuff around, etc., the hum eventually disappeared. But it’s also something I experience with other tube devices. It’s just one of those annoying things that comes with tube territory I guess.
I tried to turn off the Ares 2 and those sound is gone. But I used that dac with different amp without any noises, even with Elise and Pendant SE.

Oct 9, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #374 of 2,174
I just found out about this amp recently. Is ZMF the only place it's being sold in the US? Will more stock be coming in soon if that's the case?
We have silver and black units on the way which will put the amp back in stock this week.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back