Cayin HA-3A, a Compact 6V6s Transformer-coupled Tube Amplifier
Sep 28, 2022 at 1:16 AM Post #226 of 2,169
Does anyone of the Cayin Owners know if the HA-3A pairs well with something like the HE1000 v2? (35 Ohms and 90db)

@Cayin or @Andykong Do you may have any experience? Thanks for you help :)
Thanks very much.

Regarding HA-3A during our product development we have tested with Sennheiser HD800/HD820, Denon 5200/9200, Focal Utopia/Clear/Stella, Fostex TH900/909 and Meze, Audeze Planar and also ZMF ones. All these are that we have at hands and paired very well. However sorry to tell you we have no experience on HE1000 V2 with our HA-3A. Hope you can have a chance to set up the system and share with us what you found or any other Audiophile who might have such system can share with us about their experience.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 28, 2022 at 4:53 AM Post #227 of 2,169
@Cayin I've been testing my HA-3A (FYI this is my 1st Tube amp). I very much enjoy how it sounds w/ all my can's but I've been having issues w/ noise. The noise I’m experiencing is not an issue w/ Volume lvl as I can have the Vol at 0 and still get the same noise audible lvl as I would if I had the volume at 9-10 o’clock. There is no noise if I switch to an output source I’m not actively using; as to be expected. I'm using stock tubes.

The noise I’m experiencing is NOT static, crackle or ground loop humm. As weird as this may sound the noise sounds like morse code w/ a slight amp hiss; kinda like someone trying to send me a msg via morse code.

From my research tube amp noise is quite common but I kinda feel its a bit much w/ the 3A for what I feel is acceptable. So, I wonder if you might be able to offer some suggestions?

To simplify the noise troubleshooting I disconnected the amp from all input sources RCA & XLR. FYI, I tested both RCA & XLR inputs neither had any changed effect on the noise. I connected only the power cable and my testing can’s ZMF VC, Atrium’s, 6xx, & 660S. I started w/ the output 4-pin XLR as my preferred connection.

Originally I was running my 3A thru a iFi power conditioner which I removed and I connected the 3A power cable straight to the wall outlet which reduced the noise by roughly 35%, BIG improvement. FYI, for each test I allowed the amp to warm up for 30-45 min as I noticed that the noise reduced by another 15%.

Next, I tried 3 different locations in my house as far as wall outlets and potential bluetooth & wifi interference. All locations performed the same; so no improvements.

I next tried 3 different power cables; stock, audioquest, & iFi. All 3 were very close but there was a slight improvement w/ the audioquest & iFi which were indistinguishable.

Most of my issues w/ noise seems to be the most intrusive when running 4-pin XLR on Med to High Impedance w/ my ZMF VC & Atrium’s, HD6xx, HD660S. Med impedance is lower noise by about 5% but imo isn’t enough to properly drive the VC’s, Atrium’s, & 6xx; the 660s are fine on Med. Low impedance can’s have perfectly acceptable noise levels that I can live with; Meze Empy & Elites, Focal CMG, Sony MDR-Z1R.

I then tried switching over to SE 6.35mm w/ my Med-High Impedance can’s and that reduced the noise by roughly another 15% so things are better but still a bit too noisy.

Just to be clear I don’t expect a black background w/ a tube amp as from my understanding it’s not realistic but imo it just seems a bit too noisy. I’m wondering if there is something else I could do to improve the noise lvls?

Aside from the noise, this is a great sounding amp.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2022 at 4:59 AM Post #228 of 2,169
@Cayin I've been testing my HA-3A (FYI this is my 1st Tube amp). I very much enjoy how it sounds w/ all my can's but I've been having issues w/ noise. The noise I’m experiencing is not an issue w/ Volume lvl as I can have the Vol at 0 and still get the same noise audible lvl as I would if I had the volume at 9-10 o’clock. There is no noise if I switch to an output source I’m not actively using; as to be expected. I'm using stock tubes.

The noise I’m experiencing is NOT static, crackle or ground loop humm. As weird as this may sound the noise sounds like morse code w/ a slight amp hiss; kinda like someone trying to send me a msg via morse code.

From my research tube amp noise is quite common but I kinda feel its a bit much w/ the 3A for what I feel is acceptable. So, I wonder if you might be able to offer some suggestions?

To simplify the noise troubleshooting I disconnected the amp from all input sources RCA & XLR. FYI, I tested both RCA & XLR inputs neither had any changed effect on the noise. I connected only the power cable and my testing can’s ZMF VC, Atrium’s, 6xx, & 660S. I started w/ the output 4-pin XLR as my preferred connection.

Originally I was running my 3A thru a iFi power conditioner which I removed and I connected the 3A power cable straight to the wall outlet which reduced the noise by roughly 35%, BIG improvement. FYI, for each test I allowed the amp to warm up for 30-45 min as I noticed that the noise reduced by another 15%.

Next, I tried 3 different locations in my house as far as wall outlets and potential bluetooth & wifi interference. All locations performed the same; so no improvements.

I next tried 3 different power cables; stock, audioquest, & iFi. All 3 were very close but there was a slight improvement w/ the audioquest & iFi which were indistinguishable.

Most of my issues w/ noise seems to be the most intrusive when running 4-pin XLR on Med to High Impedance w/ my ZMF VC & Atrium’s, HD6xx, HD660S. Med impedance is lower noise by about 5% but imo isn’t enough to properly drive the VC’s, Atrium’s, & 6xx; the 660s are fine on Med. Low impedance can’s have perfectly acceptable noise levels that I can live with; Meze Empy & Elites, Focal CMG, Sony MDR-Z1R.

I then tried switching over to SE 6.35mm w/ my Med-High Impedance can’s and that reduced the noise by roughly another 15% so things are better but still a bit too noisy.

Just to be clear I don’t expect a black background w/ a tube amp as from my understanding it’s not realistic but imo it just seems a bit too noisy. I’m wondering if there is something else I could do to improve the noise lvls?

I don't have the amp myself (yet) but have you tried the 4.4 output? I think it's optimized for lower noise.

Sep 28, 2022 at 5:09 AM Post #229 of 2,169
I don't have the amp myself (yet) but have you tried the 4.4 output? I think it's optimized for lower noise.
I'm going to order a 4.4 to XLR adapter on Fri but tbh I don't believe that will solve this issue as the noise issues are when driving higher powered & impedance can's. I'm mainly picking one up to experiment w/ my lower powered can's like the Focals, Meze's & Z1R's.

Sep 28, 2022 at 5:36 AM Post #230 of 2,169
I'm going to order a 4.4 to XLR adapter on Fri but tbh I don't believe that will solve this issue as the noise issues are when driving higher powered & impedance can's. I'm mainly picking one up to experiment w/ my lower powered can's like the Focals, Meze's & Z1R's.
Sorry to hear about the issues you encountered. My ha-3a is absolutely quiet. I have also auditioned ZMF cans with the ha-3a using SE and XLR with no noise. Hope Cayin will be able to help you out asap.

Did you purchase online, or from a local authorized dealer’s store?

Sep 28, 2022 at 6:33 AM Post #231 of 2,169
Sorry to hear about the issues you encountered. My ha-3a is absolutely quiet. I have also auditioned ZMF cans with the ha-3a using SE and XLR with no noise. Hope Cayin will be able to help you out asap.

Did you purchase online, or from a local authorized dealer’s store?
I bought mine from ZMF. Based on your feedback I'm going to reach out to Zach and see if he has another unit that he can exchange. I really love the amp but that noise is really annoying and tbh is kind of a deal breaker for me.

Sep 28, 2022 at 6:35 AM Post #232 of 2,169
I bought mine from ZMF. Based on your feedback I'm going to reach out to Zach and see if he has another unit that he can exchange. I really love the amp but that noise is really annoying and tbh is kind of a deal breaker for me.
somehow my best guess is maybe… faulty tubes?

Do u have spare tubes to switch? And have u checked if the tubes are seated properly also?

Sep 28, 2022 at 6:50 AM Post #233 of 2,169
somehow my best guess is maybe… faulty tubes?

Do u have spare tubes to switch? And have u checked if the tubes are seated properly also?
I don't have any spare tubes atm. I didn't want to start buying tubes until I heard back from more experienced tubers for recommendations.

I did check the tubes initially for proper seating and they were/are solidly socketed meaning not loose. I have not tried unsocketing the tubes to reseat them. Should I try that next? I also did a 50+hr burn in w/ the amp initially and I'm now at about 80+hrs total.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2022 at 7:05 AM Post #234 of 2,169
I
I don't have any spare tubes atm. I didn't want to start buying tubes until I heard back from more experienced tubers for recommendations.

I did check the tubes initially for proper seating and they were/are solidly socketed meaning not loose. I have not tried unsocketing the tubes to reseat them. Should I try that next? I also did a 50+hr burn in w/ the amp initially and I'm now at about 80+hrs total.
I don’t have the technical savvy but I have experienced noisy tubes before so it was something that could be a culprit and might actually be an easier fix if so. Maybe Zach will be able to send tubes over (i presume cheaper and faster shipping). Otherwise, best of luck I’m sure they’ll take care of you.

Sep 28, 2022 at 8:07 AM Post #235 of 2,169
PXL_20220926_193609128.jpg
For me my wireless mouse produced some static noise. Not willing to change to cable mouse tho. Using the supplied power cable, which had a greater diameter did help also. Maybe in future I will try an aftermarket power cable.

Those sicte 22de4 really turned the amp quiet and improved clarity, resolution and maybe staging to a certain degree. Very crisp and not offensive sound now. Differences between tubes are more easily to pick up now. Really a great upgrade.

I also bought an earlier RCA 22de4 which sounds same like the stock RCA coin base. Up next is GE 22de4.
PXL_20220928_082001197.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #236 of 2,169
I

I don’t have the technical savvy but I have experienced noisy tubes before so it was something that could be a culprit and might actually be an easier fix if so. Maybe Zach will be able to send tubes over (i presume cheaper and faster shipping). Otherwise, best of luck I’m sure they’ll take care of you.
I contacted ZMF and they've offered to have me send the amp in to evaluate it for a replacement. I suggested that I'd like to try replacing the tubes as I can order the same stock tubes via amazon. If after I've tried replacing the tubes it still has issues w/ noise I'll rma it back to zmf to hopefully get a replacement.

Thanks for the help.

Sep 29, 2022 at 12:11 AM Post #238 of 2,169

Thanks very much for your report @ heyguyslol and we are really sorry to hear the trouble you have out there. As suggested by Pashmeister please help try to see if it were the problem on the tubes. If it were not the problem on the tubes please help send back the unit to ZMF. Good to see you got contact with ZMF at the same time and we will take care of you to make sure you will have a well function unit out there.

Thanks to you all @Pashmeister @ZMF for your assistance and help on the issue.

Sep 29, 2022 at 1:14 AM Post #239 of 2,169
Thanks very much for your report @ heyguyslol and we are really sorry to hear the trouble you have out there. As suggested by Pashmeister please help try to see if it were the problem on the tubes. If it were not the problem on the tubes please help send back the unit to ZMF. Good to see you got contact with ZMF at the same time and we will take care of you to make sure you will have a well function unit out there.

Thanks to you all @Pashmeister @ZMF for your assistance and help on the issue.
Tyvm for getting back to me. I've contacted ZMF and they are prepared to have me send the amp back to have it evaluated for a replacement. Before I do I'm going to order some replacement tubes of the same type from Amazon which will take about a week to be delivered. After explaining/describing the noise I'm experiencing to other more experienced tube amp owners, I'm somewhat convinced the noise might be coming from a bad tube. Due to the tube amp weight and return shipping costs I feel it might be better to try replacement tubes first. If after I replace the tubes; I find the amp to still have noise issues I'll RMA it back to ZMF. Due to the shipping time for the tubes I should know something by the 2nd week of Oct.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2022 at 3:46 AM Post #240 of 2,169
Tyvm for getting back to me. I've contacted ZMF and they are prepared to have me send the amp back to have it evaluated for a replacement. Before I do I'm going to order some replacement tubes of the same type from Amazon which will take about a week to be delivered. After explaining/describing the noise I'm experiencing to other more experienced tube amp owners, I'm somewhat convinced the noise might be coming from a bad tube. Due to the tube amp weight and return shipping costs I feel it might be better to try replacement tubes first. If after I replace the tubes; I find the amp to still have noise issues I'll RMA it back to ZMF. Due to the shipping time for the tubes I should know something by the 2nd week of Oct.
Thanks very much for your assistance on troubleshooting. We will wait for your further updates. ZMF and us will follow up on the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back