Cayin HA-3A, a Compact 6V6s Transformer-coupled Tube Amplifier
Apr 17, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #1,021 of 2,180
I got a premium matched pair from a friend in Canada. A matched NOS pair costs around 200$. No way around it unfortunately. But the combination of E80CC and E181CC ended the pre tube hunt for me.
I've tried many 12au7 already but I always come back to e80cc.... If e181cc needs less current and sounds as good it would be a very safe bet for the future

Thanks!

Apr 17, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #1,022 of 2,180
I've tried many 12au7 already but I always come back to e80cc.... If e181cc needs less current and sounds as good it would be a very safe bet for the future

Thanks!
🙏🙏🙏. Same. E80cc tubes have transformed my HA6A to a whole new amp. I don't think I can ever go back to 12au7s.

Apr 17, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #1,023 of 2,180
You make me curious regarding the E80CCs. To me the Mullard 12AU7s (M8136 CV4003) brutally destroyed any other 12AU7s. Bass extension, separation and definition most of all. I keep reading about these Philips though. I guess, I will have to spend money to find out myself... Curse of tube world.

Apr 17, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #1,024 of 2,180
You make me curious regarding the E80CCs. To me the Mullard 12AU7s (M8136 CV4003) brutally destroyed any other 12AU7s. Bass extension, separation and definition most of all. I keep reading about these Philips though. I guess, I will have to spend money to find out myself... Curse of tube world.
I've read about Philips being slightly more forgiving than Tungsram, I wanted to get the Philips but Tungsram at 50€ a matched pair was a "bargain" and I'm very happy, feels very real/lifelike, precise and expansive soundstage and not bright/shouty at all

Meanwhile I had to change the Mazdas for GM's Genuine Parts (RCA) as the Mazdas were really hot in the treble but the sound overall was really good in low frequencies and midrange

Apr 17, 2023 at 5:30 PM Post #1,025 of 2,180
Mullard M8136 variants are really good. Those are the best of the best 12au7s. Period. Unfortunately, I never got the chance, nor the finances to try those out. \

However, the E80ccs are something special. These add more depth and layering to the overall sound. Holographic imaging is the specialty of these tubes. Of the three variants I have tried, Phillips SQ e80cc, Tungsram e80cc and my favorite Mullard (Holland) E80cc, the mullards are the warmest and has the widest sound. Phillips has the clearest/brightest top end. Tungsram is the warmest of the 3 sets.

Apr 17, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #1,026 of 2,180
How long do you guys leave the amp on before starting your listening session? I like to wait about an hour but I am curious on everyone else's approach.

Apr 17, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #1,027 of 2,180
How long do you guys leave the amp on before starting your listening session? I like to wait about an hour but I am curious on everyone else's approach.
30 min before any critical listening.

Apr 17, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #1,028 of 2,180
I give it 10-15 minutes

Apr 21, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #1,029 of 2,180
Team E80CC:

6296112A-A58F-41E3-B1A6-53708D56363A.jpeg

But I'm expecting a pair of 12AU7 Mullard tubes, so I'm curious to see how they compare.

Apr 21, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #1,030 of 2,180
Team E80CC:

6296112A-A58F-41E3-B1A6-53708D56363A.jpeg

But I'm expecting a pair of 12AU7 Mullard tubes, so I'm curious to see how they compare.
Lovely black theme going on. I stick with silver: :)

PXL_20230120_091544738.jpg

That said, regarding the 12AU7 Mullard tubes I thought I share my brief experience. New or old logo, these sound way better than the stock 12AU7s and better than any other NOS 12AU7 I tried so far. Honestly, I was very sceptical about this old logo, new logo thing. I had a burnt in new logo pair and an untouched old logo pair. The new logo pair burnt it sounded better/more enjoyable to me than the raw old logo pair. Yet I decided to go through the burn-in process with the old logo pair and I have to say there are results. Initially the raw old logo pair sounded slightly drier than the new logo burnt-in pair. The latter sounded fuller, sweeter, more enjoyable. The raw old logo pair was perhaps slightly more detailed and better balanced/controlled, but just sounded raw and less involving in comparison. Now I have had somewhere between 50-100 hours on the old logo Mullard M8136 CV4003s. The sound is not dry anymore and gives me even more satisfaction than the new logo pair. There is slightly more control, more detail, yet the sound has equal enjoyment levels. Not a huge difference, but I see why people prefer the old logo versus these new logo Mullards.

On a side note, you can get Mullard 12AU7s for a lot less money, but they won't last you long enough. As I learnt, CV4003 means these were made for military purposes which in nowadays audio tube world means they will last a lot longer. With tubes you are not only paying for sound but longevity too.

Apr 22, 2023 at 3:59 AM Post #1,031 of 2,180
I have old/new logo of the 8136 and 8162 and I prefer the old logo versions in both cases. I’m in the habit now of leaving a new tube in for no less than 50hrs straight before it comes back out. Normally by then they have ran in fully. Maybe some changes between 50-100 but not as much.

I think there must be something about 60s tubes. The Siemens 5814a Long Plate Triple Mica have the same thing. The 70s single getter post version doesn’t quite have the same level of detail, especially in the bass, as the early 60s dual getter post version. Both are very good but there are differences. The problem with these tubes is finding them, especially the 60s versions… very rare now. I’m hoping to find at least one more in NOS condition.

Apr 22, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #1,032 of 2,180
I have old/new logo of the 8136 and 8162 and I prefer the old logo versions in both cases. I’m in the habit now of leaving a new tube in for no less than 50hrs straight before it comes back out. Normally by then they have ran in fully. Maybe some changes between 50-100 but not as much.

I think there must be something about 60s tubes. The Siemens 5814a Long Plate Triple Mica have the same thing. The 70s single getter post version doesn’t quite have the same level of detail, especially in the bass, as the early 60s dual getter post version. Both are very good but there are differences. The problem with these tubes is finding them, especially the 60s versions… very rare now. I’m hoping to find at least one more in NOS condition.
This tube world is crazy. How come, people can't figure out the process of exactly replicating the old tubes? Science can figure out many things these days... What is the secret ingredient that adds that charm in sound to NOS tubes versus new production? I know, part of the knowledge of making these tubes simply disappeared as the tube makers didn't really document it and most documents were lost in the wars, yet new production tubes exist. Still, they can't really sound as engaging and as enjoyable. For our lifetime we probably will be able to source NOS tubes (at an increasing cost), but what will happen afterwards? Will this sub-section of the hobby die out?

Apr 22, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #1,033 of 2,180
With the Siemens tube I mentioned above, they cut some corners reducing the number and thickness of the fetter support posts. I think efficiency in materials and design to save costs while producing 90% of the original performance maybe the driving factor. The drive to save pennies and max profits.

The 90% is plucked from thin air… just trying to say save money while nearly giving same quality.

I watched a video of them making tubes in the days gone by… quite labour intensive but I’m sure replicable today if someone was will to spend the money. Elrog have with 300b tubes!

It’s a race to pickup all the NOS tubes we want before they disappear for good! Unfortunately 😞

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #1,034 of 2,180
With the Siemens tube I mentioned above, they cut some corners reducing the number and thickness of the fetter support posts. I think efficiency in materials and design to save costs while producing 90% of the original performance maybe the driving factor. The drive to save pennies and max profits.

The 90% is plucked from thin air… just trying to say save money while nearly giving same quality.

I watched a video of them making tubes in the days gone by… quite labour intensive but I’m sure replicable today if someone was will to spend the money. Elrog have with 300b tubes!
I am pretty sure, many people would be happy to pay the price if NOS tube sound quality would be available today. Perhaps NOS tubes then are still cheaper than the same sound in new production version would be?

Apr 25, 2023 at 6:37 AM Post #1,035 of 2,180
I've read about Philips being slightly more forgiving than Tungsram, I wanted to get the Philips but Tungsram at 50€ a matched pair was a "bargain" and I'm very happy, feels very real/lifelike, precise and expansive soundstage and not bright/shouty at all

Meanwhile I had to change the Mazdas for GM's Genuine Parts (RCA) as the Mazdas were really hot in the treble but the sound overall was really good in low frequencies and midrange
Where did you get yours for 50 euros? Im looking to get them as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back