Cayin HA-3A, a Compact 6V6s Transformer-coupled Tube Amplifier
May 20, 2024 at 6:25 AM Post #2,296 of 2,388
but power (assuming you are speaking about dB/volume) is not something to worry about with HA-3A, never used volume knob above 50%, normally 25% is loud enough... and I'm using RCAs, if you use XLR interlinks to XLR output (there are 3 gain modes), probably there is no headphones that can't be driven to full potential with this amp
With all respect to HA-3A, I have to mention that the manufacturer claims it’s not suitable for the most inefficient headphones like Susvara. For the vast majority of headphones it’s quite sufficient.
Andykong can confirm it unless he’s too busy.
Sorry, it’s all because some people prefer asking to reading.

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 4:24 PM Post #2,297 of 2,388
Hello friends 👋🏻

I got the HA-3A today and I would really appreciate it if you could do me a quick and easy favor.

To all of you who are using the STOCK tubes , could you have a listen to the song "Wonder where we land" by SBTRKT and the part that I'm interested in is at 00.08-00.13 seconds of the song where there's a 10-30Hz wave (that you can see on a spectrum analyzer).

It is the only song where I noticed something like a distortion during those 5 seconds where the bass is heavily elevated.

I'm thinking that it might be a tube break in period needed but I want to be sure cause I'm worried.

I really appreciate your time guys ,
thank you 😊

May 21, 2024 at 3:18 PM Post #2,299 of 2,388
With all respect to HA-3A, I have to mention that the manufacturer claims it’s not suitable for the most inefficient headphones like Susvara. For the vast majority of headphones it’s quite sufficient.
Andykong can confirm it unless he’s not busy.
I might be weird but I quite like the Susvara on the HA3A with XLR out on Medium Impedance with 6v6 Fivre g and Golden lion or Matsushita 12au7s with a westinghouse 25ax4gt. I usually use the Bliss but the HA3A sounds great still for a change of pace. Smoother, a bit fuller and a more 3d like sound. I never go past 12pm and I usually like listening around 85db. Compared to the bliss you do lose that estat like dynamics and details though.

Last edited:
May 21, 2024 at 4:01 PM Post #2,300 of 2,388
I might be weird but I quite like the Susvara on the HA3A with XLR out on Medium Impedance with 6v6 Fivre g and Golden lion or Matsushita 12au7s with a westinghouse 25ax4gt. I usually use the Bliss but the HA3A sounds great still for a change of pace. Smoother, a bit fuller sounding and a more 3d like. I never go past 12pm and I usually like listening around 85db. Compared to the bliss you do lose that estat like dynamics and details though.
This is nice to hear that you don't find the Bliss completely overshadows the HA-3A. In the back of my mind I've considered the Bliss to be the one SS amp I'd consider upgrading to [far] down the road, but didn't necessarily want it to then escalate my tube amp as well...

May 21, 2024 at 4:08 PM Post #2,301 of 2,388
Matsushita 12au7s
Which kind of Matsushita 12au7 do you have ? They seem to be the only neutral sounding Japanese 12au7 that I found yet. Love these.

PXL_20240221_181914169.MP.jpg

PXL_20240221_181948394.MP.jpg

1950s, Long plates, 45°D getter

May 21, 2024 at 4:13 PM Post #2,302 of 2,388
This is nice to hear that you don't find the Bliss completely overshadows the HA-3A. In the back of my mind I've considered the Bliss to be the one SS amp I'd consider upgrading to [far] down the road, but didn't necessarily want it to then escalate my tube amp as well...
Have you tried upsampling? it will add a good amount of speed and detail back.

May 21, 2024 at 4:17 PM Post #2,303 of 2,388
Yes, I just received the Holo Cyan 2 last week so I've been delving more into the world of HQPlayer (I had used it prior but with a DAC that didn't have a lot of maneuvering room in terms of upsampling)

May 21, 2024 at 4:21 PM Post #2,304 of 2,388
Yes, I just received the Holo Cyan 2 last week so I've been delving more into the world of HQPlayer (I had used it prior but with a DAC that didn't have a lot of maneuvering room in terms of upsampling)
Lots of different filters to mess around with in HQ player.

I personally use Audirvana's built in upsampler and it upscales to 705.6kHz/768kHz. You can really notice an uptick in speed, detail and a larger soundstage.

May 21, 2024 at 4:23 PM Post #2,305 of 2,388
Which kind of Matsushita 12au7 do you have ? They seem to be the only neutral sounding Japanese 12au7 that I found yet. Love these.

PXL_20240221_181948394.MP.jpg
1950s, Long plates, 45°D getter
My friend had an extra pair he gave to me for a basically free price so I'm actually not sure. All I know is they sound very musical
IMG_0125.jpg

May 21, 2024 at 4:26 PM Post #2,306 of 2,388
I actually really like 1.5m pcm with the sinc-long filter and LNS15 dither.

May 21, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #2,307 of 2,388
My friend had an extra pair he gave to me for a basically free price so I'm actually not sure. All I know is they sound very musical
A very nice pair 👍

Looks like 15mm short plates ?

May 21, 2024 at 8:42 PM Post #2,308 of 2,388
Andykong can confirm it unless he’s not busy.
Thank you for clarifying this DrDen. Is it your personal experience with the Susvara that you are using to support your claim?

May 21, 2024 at 11:03 PM Post #2,309 of 2,388
Thank you for clarifying this DrDen. Is it your personal experience with the Susvara that you are using to support your claim?
No, I have no other headphones besides HE1000SE and don’t plan to buy any, so I’m quite happy with the HA-3A.
It’s not “my claim” — simply what the manufacturer says, and Nakamura98 have noticed “you do lose that estat like dynamics” as well. Cayin has other headphone amplifiers in this line (e.g. HA-300), driving that tough headphones better. At least the company claims that.

May 22, 2024 at 5:37 AM Post #2,310 of 2,388
I’ve been reading and searching this thread, and mostly likely won’t be getting any response but I have to try my luck

Any 3A owner tried or is using Lampizator Big7 dac? I want to find out if they have good synergy or not

I can go and audition the amp myself but there’s no way I’m bringing that huge DAC around with me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back