Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Nov 1, 2023 at 7:19 AM Post #4,666 of 6,317
Don't knock on the casework.
Sure that's one way of looking at it but with the HA-6A I haven't this problem at all, although I had hissing issue :) With 300B there is almost always completely black background and I hoped I will somehow fix it with other tubes, what I tried were Psvane CV181 but these were hissing like crazy (maybe I had bad luck for faulty tubes as exact the same tubes are used in Feliks Envy)

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2023 at 7:38 AM Post #4,667 of 6,317
Sure that's one way o flooking at it but with the HA-6A I haven't this problem at all, althoght I had hissing issue :) With 300B there is almost always completely black background and I hopes I will somehow fix it with other tubes, what I tried were Psvane CV181 but these were hissing like crazy (maybe I had bad luck for faulty tubes as exact the same tubes are used in Feliks Envy)
I've got CV181TII and are dead silent. Great drivers imo.

Nov 1, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #4,668 of 6,317
THey ring if you knock the casework ... try flicking the casing of your amp ... really microphonic tubes pick up everything! My Kenrad 7193s were awful, but so long as there were no closeby vibrations, i couldnt tell by simply listening to them. But i expect the susvaras lack of sensitivity hides/masks a lot of pinging.
What do you mean by the term "ring"?

Could you please describe what a "ringing sound noise" sounds like and how it differs from other types of noises that a faulty tube can make? Can one know immediately from the sound of a "ringing tube", or the duration of the ringing sound, that the noise problem must be due to microphony and not due to another noise problem that could be due to a faulty tube or a faulty connection between the tube pins and tube sockets?

Jeff.

Nov 1, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #4,669 of 6,317

Could you please describe what a "ringing sound noise" sounds like and how it differs from other types of noises that a faulty tube can make? Can one know immediately from the sound of a "ringing tube", or the duration of the ringing sound, that the noise problem must be due to microphony and not due to another noise problem that could be due to a faulty tube or a faulty connection between the tube pins and tube sockets?

Jeff.
You will know when you have a micophonic tube. It's a very unique sound, and is really quite obvious once you hear one. There is no chance of confusing the sound of microphony with other types of noise.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #4,670 of 6,317

Jeff.
It's when you flick with something on the case of the amp or the cage with Cayin you will hear ringing in your headphones like when someone hit bell with echo which slowly fades away. At first I thought I am halucinating but it's a real thing and as I stated I've never experienced it with HA-6A either with stock or upgraded tubes.

Nov 2, 2023 at 7:56 AM Post #4,671 of 6,317
It never ceases to amaze. . .

20231027_074039.jpg

Endgame tube combo for me :grin: - Elrog ER300B (Power), Russian 6S5S (Driver) , Sicte 22DE4 (Rectifier)

It doesn't get any better!

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2023 at 8:24 PM Post #4,674 of 6,317
Your daily Elrog report: no longer taking orders, check back in January. Sadness.

Just what I need, MORE time to agonize over ER vs Mo.

I get it. And I have a great deal of respect for Thomas at Elrog. He won't sacrifice quality for quantity. It will be worth the wait though.

I'm looking forward to getting some time with my rig and my Elrog ER300B-Mo's this weekend.

:k701smile:

Nov 4, 2023 at 1:20 AM Post #4,676 of 6,317
It's when you flick with something on the case of the amp or the cage with Cayin you will hear ringing in your headphones like when someone hit bell with echo which slowly fades away. At first I thought I am halucinating but it's a real thing and as I stated I've never experienced it with HA-6A either with stock or upgraded tubes.

300B is a direct-heated triode (DHT). A lot of audiophiles consider these to be the best-sounding vacuum tube designs, the purists believe the Single-ended DHT Amplifier is the
holy grail. Unfortunately being directly heated also implies that they are more prone to noise and microphonic when compared to indirectly heated vacuum tubes.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 4, 2023 at 3:58 AM Post #4,677 of 6,317
For me Elrogs (the standard ER300B) were a lot more microphonic than the stock Gold Lion 300B, not noisy though, just microphonic. Stock MK2 set GL 300B + Tungsol is very quiet.
How would you describe the diff in sound to stock and elrog? I’m looking for a warmer sound, and wonder what tubes to get.

Nov 4, 2023 at 4:12 AM Post #4,678 of 6,317
How would you describe the diff in sound to stock and elrog? I’m looking for a warmer sound, and wonder what tubes to get.
Ooof ... I think you have to get warmth from the drivers to be honest. All of the DHTs I've tried are something I would class as neutral and technical ... and they can go sweet off neutral like the Elrog or colder like Psvane WE300B. Maybe @KrauserX91 can comment on his Acme 🤔

But yeah, imo drivers are your best shot.

Also ... 300B are too expensive to buy a coloured sound (because then you would have to get a few sets with different colouring 😑) ... ?

Nov 4, 2023 at 4:37 AM Post #4,679 of 6,317
Incidentally yesterday I bought Elites to add to my collection and will be testing them for the rest of this year to see if I'll keep them.

You shure you want warmth with Elites? I'd rather think you would want more technical sound to kick them into gear.

Nov 4, 2023 at 5:37 AM Post #4,680 of 6,317
Ooof ... I think you have to get warmth from the drivers to be honest. All of the DHTs I've tried are something I would class as neutral and technical ... and they can go sweet off neutral like the Elrog or colder like Psvane WE300B. Maybe @KrauserX91 can comment on his Acme 🤔

But yeah, imo drivers are your best shot.

Also ... 300B are too expensive to buy a coloured sound (because then you would have to get a few sets with different colouring 😑) ... ?

I have been listening the Acme 300B more or less 100h, dont know if will continue the burn in much more. At first, it was a overall improvement and took me a time to know what is this tube about because I am coming from the stock Genalex without the chance of try another top 300B. I am not the best describing yet, but here I go:

The bass got much more punchier, is controlled and is accurate. The mids are sweet, the vocals sound beautiful. Airy trebles, the highs still same as the start. They never loose the magic with burn in, they got better, just a bit. Definitely these tubes are in the musical side. Yesterday I was doing some tube rolling combining with the stock. The Acme 300B + Quad CV6 made the HA300 a machine of emotions for female vocals with the Caldera and the orchestras for Susvara.

Add that I got the RP600M, the biggest bookshelf format Klipsch have to listen with the HA300 and its impressive. The burn in headphones or tubes can be slow and sometimes short or even unnoticeable, but in the loudspeakers is a real thing, every 5h is changing, the songs are completely different after 20h. This amp can easily move them, without any effort, I think I am using just the 20% of full potential of the speakers and it is enough to fill my room. So yes, I confirm with @krude the amp is a beast also as a speaker amp. If you think is not enough then you are using the wrong speakers :p

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back