Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
May 19, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #3,543 of 6,288
Thanks! Good for rock music too?
Sorry for butting in, but I love the HD800s on the HA-300. I think it makes those old Sennheisers compete with the TOTL of today in many ways - even if it's not perfect, but what headphone is?

As for rock music, if you're choosy with tubes the combo can hang. RCA grey glass 6SN7 would be the safe recommendation for a smoother blues type sound, but for a more exciting rock sound (i.e. more treble) I like early Sylvanias, particularly 6f8g. Just my personal recommendation, others may feel different.

I do find the mids can be a bit (a tiny bit!) smooth with the HA-300, at least compared to my ZMF Pendant. So for crunchier guitars it's fine - and the incredible bass more than makes up for it.

May 19, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #3,544 of 6,288
Sorry for butting in, but I love the HD800s on the HA-300. I think it makes those old Sennheisers compete with the TOTL of today in many ways - even if it's not perfect, but what headphone is?

As for rock music, if you're choosy with tubes the combo can hang. RCA grey glass 6SN7 would be the safe recommendation for a smoother blues type sound, but for a more exciting rock sound (i.e. more treble) I like early Sylvanias, particularly 6f8g. Just my personal recommendation, others may feel different.

I do find the mids can be a bit (a tiny bit!) smooth with the HA-300, at least compared to my ZMF Pendant. So for crunchier guitars it's fine - and the incredible bass more than makes up for it.
Thanks! So even HD800S can perform well with rock with the HA300 in your opinion? I’m sure the HE1000V2 stealth can be fantastic but had doubt with the HD800S.

May 19, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #3,545 of 6,288
Two different flavors of awesomeness. . .

GEC CV1135 - Made in the Hammersmith (Z) Factory from the 50's.

20230519_164644.jpg

Mullard V.R. 135 - Made in the Mitcham (D) Factory from the 40's.

20230518_075218.jpg

Spoiler Alert - Both are absolutely fantastic in their own right, and I am freaking loving this tube type! :grin:

Last edited:
May 19, 2023 at 6:18 PM Post #3,546 of 6,288
Two different flavors of awesomeness. . .

GEC CV1135 - Made in the Hammersmith (Z) Factory from the 50's.

20230519_164644.jpg

Mullard V.R. 135 - Made in the Mitcham (D) Factory from the 40's.

20230518_075218.jpg

Spoiler Alert - Both are absolutely fantastic in their own right. I am freaking love this tube type! :grin:
Are you sure? Are you sure you can handle those adapters? :)

May 19, 2023 at 9:40 PM Post #3,547 of 6,288
Thanks! So even HD800S can perform well with rock with the HA300 in your opinion? I’m sure the HE1000V2 stealth can be fantastic but had doubt with the HD800S.
In my opinion, yes. It's a cleaner sound, but I don't think it lacks for bass or mids. The HA-300 really brings out the sub-bass of the Sennheisers to my ears, and makes the highs more neutral than bright.

May 20, 2023 at 4:54 AM Post #3,548 of 6,288
In my opinion, yes. It's a cleaner sound, but I don't think it lacks for bass or mids. The HA-300 really brings out the sub-bass of the Sennheisers to my ears, and makes the highs more neutral than bright.
So torn between those two headphones. And I can’t get both!

May 20, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #3,549 of 6,288
So torn between those two headphones. And I can’t get both!
If that’s the case, I imagine the Hifiman is the better all rounder. While I’m a huge proponent of the HD800S on the HA-300, it still is a fairly unique sound. Though I personally haven’t spent too much time with the HE1000, and none with that particular iteration, I bet it’s simply better for the genres you asked about.

Unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be many testimonials of the HE1000 in this thread. Maybe someone else has a comparison?

May 20, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #3,550 of 6,288
Maybe someone else has a comparison?
I don't have the V2 Stealth version and have not demoed it hence I was quiet

But if we were to use the original V2, it is extremely good when paired with synergistic tubes, it elevates the V2 to the next level like any good tube amp should.

Its a double-edged sword though, because the harshness that people typically face can be doubled on certain setups (I really do not like Elrog + Sylvania 6J5GTs with them, for example).

However, I found stock tubes to be excellent with the HEKV2 - if you don't want to roll them yet. If you are looking purely at a point of view for power....lets just say I have compared the Bliss with the HA-300bmk2 using the Susvara, there is no doubt they are more than enough.

Last edited:
May 21, 2023 at 8:22 PM Post #3,551 of 6,288
In regards to using this amp with headphones while speakers are plugged in, are people disconnecting the speakers to listen to their headphones (even with the switch in headphone mode)?

May 21, 2023 at 8:36 PM Post #3,552 of 6,288
In regards to using this amp with headphones while speakers are plugged in, are people disconnecting the speakers to listen to their headphones (even with the switch in headphone mode)?
I leave mine speakers connected all the time (including subwoofer) and use the front switch to toggle between headphone and speakers with no issues.

May 23, 2023 at 7:32 AM Post #3,553 of 6,288
Well now that I have my tube situation all dialed in again, it's time to see if I can squeeze a bit more performance out of my beloved mk2.

I just placed an order for this below. :grin:

MasterFuseStraight-1.jpg

I am a big believer in fuses, and currently I am running an Audio Magic M1 in the power supply of my mk2. The M1 was a game changer, and really pumped up the clarity/detail, dynamics and staging, so I can't wait to see what the new "King" can do with the SR Master. SR and Audio Magic have been going back and forth one-upping each other every couple of years with the better fuses, and it seems that SR has been at it again. The Audio Magic M1 was the current top performer and took out the SR Purple when it first showed up on the scene, but now it seems SR is back on top with the Master. I have read that the Master is quite a step up from all of SR's previous fuses (purple), and it's supposed to best the AM M1 as well. :astonished:

More to come, and there might be an Audio Magic M1 listed in the classifieds priced to sell very soon for those that might be interested. . .

Last edited:
May 23, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #3,554 of 6,288
Well now that I have my tube situation all dialed in again, it's time to see if I can squeeze a bit more performance out of my beloved mk2.

I just placed an order for this below. :grin:

MasterFuseStraight-1.jpg

I am a big believer in fuses, and currently I am running an Audio Magic M1 in the power supply of my mk2. The M1 was a game changer, and really pumped up the clarity/detail, dynamics and staging, so I can't wait to see what the new "King" can do with the SR Master. SR and Audio Magic have been going back and forth one-upping each other every couple of years with the better fuses, and it seems that SR has been at it again. The Audio Magic M1 was the current top performer and took out the SR Purple when it first showed up on the scene, but now it seems SR is back on top with the Master. I have read that the Master is quite a step up from all of SR's previous fuses (purple), and it's supposed to best the AM M1 as well. :astonished:

More to come, and there might be an Audio Magic M1 listed in the classifieds priced to sell very soon for those that might be interested. . .
Keen to hear your feedback on how this new SR Master sounds vs your current AM M1. Cost almost twice as much…

May 23, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #3,555 of 6,288
I have questions about the 7193/CV6 tubes.

I have noted that Wes has commented on the sound quality of different CV6 tubes (GEC and Mullard) and jamato8 has talked about the KenRad 7193 tubes.

Has anybody compared the KenRad 7193 tube to the UK-manufactured CV6 tubes?

Also, how does one explain that a pair of those tubes can outperform a very high quality 6sn7 tube (eg. RFT or 5178)?

Jeff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back