Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Mar 27, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #3,301 of 6,478
Audio Envy Ocean Elite 3p is what I am using and it punches way above it's price. I can't recommend this cable enough, and everyone (there are quite a few now) that has tried one has felt the same. I use their interconnects as well.
Have to second this, fantastic cables for the money and the power cords can be improved upon by re-terminating with better quality plugs.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #3,302 of 6,478
As the Duelund cast copper caps are burning in/forming, they are really, really nice. The sound with the right recordings and the tubes I am using, the sound is extremely, extremely realistic. Wonderful empty space around space, like what you hear in a good stage setting. That transparency with sound coming from what would other be dead quite and natural, if there was minimal noise. The sound emanate, expands and starts and stops almost instantly or trails off, depending upon the voice or instrument. And excellent layering with width and depth.
Following your thoughts with interest as I am looking into replacing the Mundorf coupling caps in my 300b amp with the Duelund cast copper.

Mar 27, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #3,303 of 6,478
Following your thoughts with interest as I am looking into replacing the Mundorf coupling caps in my 300b amp with the Duelund cast copper.
I have the Mundorf as well, silver supreme and a few others. I think the Duelund, after brunch in, the forming of the cap etc., are superior. They just get out of the way of the music while doing what they are supposed to do, just let the AC music signal through.

I just installed some in the HA-6A with the .22uf being the Duelund cast copper internally bypassed with a silver cap. Will see how that goes but I thought a mix one on silver bypassed and other other cap the copper cast.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2023 at 6:28 PM Post #3,304 of 6,478
I have the Mundorf as well, silver supreme and a few others. I think the Duelund, after brunch in, the forming of the cap etc., are superior. They just get out of the way of the music while doing what they are supposed to do, just let the AC music signal through.

I just installed some in the HA-6A with the .22uf being the Duelund cast copper internally bypassed with a silver cap. Will see how that goes but I thought a mix one on silver bypassed and other other cap the copper cast.
Was it tough to remove the board to get at the caps?

Mar 27, 2023 at 7:00 PM Post #3,305 of 6,478
Was it tough to remove the board to get at the caps?
You don't remove the board. Open the bottom and take a look. But it is a very tight squeeze. I am used to that and on a couple of leads for the caps, I soldered on an extension, while keeps leads as short as I could. But you have to take some time to get the right layout as they will "just" fit because Duelund caps are not small.

The caps on the HA-6A are new but I can already hear the changes and the snap and quickness and darker background. They will go through a funky stage then, then better then so-so and after 100 hours continue to improve. I will attach an image of the HA-6A as it is just as tight. The caps are insulated and held in place with a good double sided tape. I use WBT Silver solder, WBT 800. Flows beautifully and isn't a hard solder to work with but you don't want your tip too hot or it mess up the flow.
IMG_2691.jpeg

Mar 27, 2023 at 8:25 PM Post #3,306 of 6,478
You don't remove the board. Open the bottom and take a look. But it is a very tight squeeze. I am used to that and on a couple of leads for the caps, I soldered on an extension, while keeps leads as short as I could. But you have to take some time to get the right layout as they will "just" fit because Duelund caps are not small.

The caps on the HA-6A are new but I can already hear the changes and the snap and quickness and darker background. They will go through a funky stage then, then better then so-so and after 100 hours continue to improve. I will attach an image of the HA-6A as it is just as tight. The caps are insulated and held in place with a good double sided tape. I use WBT Silver solder, WBT 800. Flows beautifully and isn't a hard solder to work with but you don't want your tip too hot or it mess up the flow. IMG_2691.jpeg
Those are big boys for sure!

For anyone following my hum/ground loop noise story here are my latest updates.
- Power cables did not fix or reduce the sound. They did make the amp sound better which is a nice side effect.
- Hum X plug had zero effect.

Mar 28, 2023 at 7:18 PM Post #3,307 of 6,478
Those are big boys for sure!

For anyone following my hum/ground loop noise story here are my latest updates.
- Power cables did not fix or reduce the sound. They did make the amp sound better which is a nice side effect.
- Hum X plug had zero effect.
Have you tried using a PS Audio power regenerator to see if the hum noise remains present? If it does, I suspect that there is an internal noise-causing problem in your amp.

Jeff.

Mar 28, 2023 at 7:55 PM Post #3,308 of 6,478
Have you tried using a PS Audio power regenerator to see if the hum noise remains present? If it does, I suspect that there is an internal noise-causing problem in your amp.

Jeff.

Yeah, I highly recommend the PS Audio Power Generator, which I have for my HA-300. The only times I have noise issues is from a bad tube, so maybe try different tubes, too.

Mar 28, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #3,309 of 6,478
Yeah, I highly recommend the PS Audio Power Generator, which I have for my HA-300. The only times I have noise issues is from a bad tube, so maybe try different tubes, too.
I haven't tried that option yet. If I see one used show up on the classifieds maybe I'll go for it.

I haven't tried different 300b tubes yet. Soon hopefully.

My left VU meter is now stuck on zero. The right one still builds up static and sort of rests wherever it feels like for the day.

Musically the amp is sounding sublime.

Mar 31, 2023 at 10:18 PM Post #3,311 of 6,478

Hi

Does anyone pair with new western electric 300B? I heard from friend that will increase noise level for headphone.

I am plan to buy Ha-300A mkll, would like to seek your opinion on paring 300B tubes.

Thanks😄

I am planning to get a pair, but I know someone that bought the WEs for the MK2 - he said the noise level was better than Gold Lions. Personally (IMO) from the other tubes I have, its probably on a tube by tube basis, no guarantees that any tubes will have the same performance, especially since it is also system dependent (your environment, transducers, other parts of chain etc - especially your driver tubes)

For me, I am in love with the Elrog ER300b, I haven't acquired the WEs yet because I am still having alot of fun with the Elrogs, and have been buying drivers instead. But I must say, if you are looking for a traditional 300b signature, the Elrogs may not be for you. To me, when compared against the Gold Lions - it sounds faster with more details, and has a more aggressive in-your-face presentation, but not to the point it is fatiguing. I am sure the rest of the Elrog Cult will chime in soon.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2023 at 10:42 PM Post #3,312 of 6,478
I have a question about the measurements of plate currect and transconductance.

I purchased a matched pair of Sophia Electric Princess Mesh Plate 300B tubes, and this is their specification as listed on their website.

See - https://sophiaelectric.com/pages/pages-se-princess-300b-specification

Note that it states a plate current of 62.5 ma and a transconductance value of 5700 as their specification. However, the matched pair that I received has a plate current measurement of 54ma and a tranconductance measurement of 4,400. Does that difference imply that my received 300B tubes are deficient in some way?

Also, I have attached a copy of the measurements of a particular person's WE 300B tube.

Note that it states a plate current of 82.9ma and a transconductance measurement of 5,190.

I read somewhere that a person was using a 300B tube that caused his tube amplifier's fuse to continuously blow and the amplifier manufacturer stated that the 300B tube's plate current was too high for that amplifier.

Can that apply to the Cayin HA300BMK2 headphone amplifier? Can it handle a high plate current of 82.9ma?

Jeff.

Attachments

• we.JPG
    we.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 0
Mar 31, 2023 at 11:36 PM Post #3,313 of 6,478
I have a question about the measurements of plate currect and transconductance.

I purchased a matched pair of Sophia Electric Princess Mesh Plate 300B tubes, and this is their specification as listed on their website.

See - https://sophiaelectric.com/pages/pages-se-princess-300b-specification

Note that it states a plate current of 62.5 ma and a transconductance value of 5700 as their specification. However, the matched pair that I received has a plate current measurement of 54ma and a tranconductance measurement of 4,400. Does that difference imply that my received 300B tubes are deficient in some way?

Also, I have attached a copy of the measurements of a particular person's WE 300B tube.

Note that it states a plate current of 82.9ma and a transconductance measurement of 5,190.

I read somewhere that a person was using a 300B tube that caused his tube amplifier's fuse to continuously blow and the amplifier manufacturer stated that the 300B tube's plate current was too high for that amplifier.

Can that apply to the Cayin HA300BMK2 headphone amplifier? Can it handle a high plate current of 82.9ma?

Jeff.
Generally you want a tube measuring on the higher end of normal. Although I have a pair of tube, not 300B, that measure low but sound superb but the higher measuring tubes tend to last longer. What the MKII can handle for current draw is something I would ask the manufacturer. I don't know what they have it set up for. More current draw the warmer the transformer is going to run as well.

Apr 1, 2023 at 12:37 AM Post #3,314 of 6,478
Love mine. Sure, I had it fairly early and it developed a bit of gas, but the 5 year warranty took care of it with no problems. I showed Western Electric the photo of the glow that should only be at the top, and they sent me a newatched pair as well as return label for the ones I have. That peace of mind is worth the price, as well as the sound of course.

Sounds better than even my Chord Hugo TT2 DAC by itself. The Ha-300 with the Western Electric 300b tubes and Sylvania 6sn7w metal base tubes sound more spatious, better resolution, and sweeter, especially with female vocals. Only thing I lose is a bit of density but not speed, extension, or texture in the bass.
IMG_20210601_152019.jpg

IMG_20211217_232841.jpg

IMG_20220308_220650_421832310661152.jpg

Apr 1, 2023 at 1:43 AM Post #3,315 of 6,478
I love my PS Audio Stellar PP3. Could have been placebo but swore there was a noticeable improvement when I first plugged it in about a year ago. Been working flawlessly since then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back