Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Dec 28, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #2,971 of 6,564
Doing something I didn't think I would be doing, using IEMs with the MKII.

I have the new IT05 from iBasso. They needed burning in but once that is done, they are extremely exceptions. So for "fun" I thought I would use the 4.4 out, and now see the reasoning behind the resistor loaded output to cut noise. The detail, body, speed, dynamics are insane. Extremely realistic combination. Mesmerizing sound. Very rich but also articulate. Wow.

I have tried Ambient Acoustics MAD16 and MAD24 which were on loan to me and my custom Mest 2 and was blown away by cayin’s presentation. I have yet to try them again since I got Elrogs which should take it to next level.

Dec 28, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #2,973 of 6,564
Dec 28, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #2,976 of 6,564
Does anyone can share impressions on ha300 and Susvara? Is it enough power to drive?
I can take that one too :wink: As I said in my earlier post I tried a lot of different amps, incl ones that have more than enough power for the Susvara. And while each amp has its own attributes and strengths, for me the Cayin is the one that brings out what i like the most about the Susvara: big soundtstage, effortless and musical presentation, tons of detail present but without being fatiguing and a tubey sound that compliments the Susvara and is never bloated or too warm. Again that is with upgraded tubes, stock tubes with Susvara were just ok. Oh and i love playing with the three levels of gain on the Cayin. For other HPs there were amps i liked better (for example, WA33 for LCD-5s) but for the Susvara the Cayin is the best I tried so far, at least for the kind of music I listen to. Although it's my dream to one day try a Riviera AIC-10, as I've been told by people I really trust that it's on a whole other level. But so is the price of course.

Dec 28, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #2,977 of 6,564
Keep an eye out for Convince Me Audio’s review of HA-300 Mk2 YouTube. Unlike most other reviews he will be rolling tubes including Elrogs plus some NOS input and rectifier tubes.
Nice! He did a review of the ZMF Pendant (my previous amp) and I concur with all he said, so I imagine he will do the HA300mk2 justice as well.

Dec 28, 2022 at 6:55 PM Post #2,978 of 6,564
Nice! He did a review of the ZMF Pendant (my previous amp) and I concur with all he said, so I imagine he will do the HA300mk2 justice as well.
That was my pendant and he did a great job for someone with no prior tube experience. Since then he has had experience with HA-6A and lot of tube rolling so definitely something to watch out for.
For this amp it is impossible to review on stock tubes which unfortunately most publications did because you don’t tap in to half the potential of this magnificent amp with stock setup. I understand why they don’t want to use highly inaccessible NOS for the review but a section dedicated with various alternatives should be very useful.

Dec 28, 2022 at 7:04 PM Post #2,979 of 6,564
That was my pendant and he did a great job for someone with no prior tube experience. Since then he has had experience with HA-6A and lot of tube rolling so definitely something to watch out for.
For this amp it is impossible to review on stock tubes which unfortunately most publications did because you don’t tap in to half the potential of this magnificent amp with stock setup. I understand why they don’t want to use highly inaccessible NOS for the review but a section dedicated with various alternatives should be very useful.
Tubes can come out of sockets, change tubes and see what you hear. lol

They test cars, and for performance cars, often try different tires. Off-road vehicles, different tires maybe a lift. All normal .

They need to get their head out of the sand and try some different tubes. Stereophile reviews, and will try different tubes. It is the normal thing to do and the intelligent and informed thing to do.

Dec 28, 2022 at 7:16 PM Post #2,980 of 6,564
Does anyone can share impressions on ha300 and Susvara? Is it enough power to drive?
HA300 sounds fantastic for both my ZMF VC and Susvara with the Susvara always dead silent while the VC is more susceptible to picking up noise e.g RF, ringing of 300B tube as it warms up etc, depending on the tubes used, in my system. I even heard some Indian music playing very faintly (probably my neighbour) but when I lifted the ZMF cable it disappears (I suspect either RF or something coming through our shared powerline as I live in a complex). I have rolled many tubes so far and only one pair was dead silent for the VC whereas the Susvara is dead silent for everything :)
My chain is Gaming PC->Qobuz->Pontus II or Hugo 2->HA300B. So far I am really enjoying the Hugo 2 with the Susvara for the extra bass on the Hugo 2 extra bass filter while sacrificing a little of the 3D holographic nature of the Pontus II :)
Example track for Susvara god-like performance, Tchaikovsky: 1812 Overture, Op. 49, TH 49, the tiny sound of the triangle dinging away in the blackness in its own airy space blew my mind when I first heard it on the Sus
https://open.qobuz.com/track/161042622

Dec 28, 2022 at 7:26 PM Post #2,981 of 6,564
Another step up besides tubes rolling is replace fuses. Try Synergetic orange / blue or other brand. @Wes S already gave his impressions somewhere in this thread.

Dec 28, 2022 at 7:30 PM Post #2,982 of 6,564
Another step up besides tubes rolling is replace fuses. Try Synergetic orange / blue or other brand. @Wes S already gave his impressions somewhere in this thread.
Yes, fuses, power cord and a few other things.

Dec 28, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #2,983 of 6,564
The Audio Magic M1 fuse is a game changer and takes the HA300MK2 to another level.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2022 at 8:02 PM Post #2,984 of 6,564
When I choose an tube amp I always try to catch what is the designer's sound signature, besides its technical things of course. Is it in conjuction with my taste, my type of music, upgrades option etc etc?

If the basic is good, the upgrades is easy and will satisfy you more each day/ each upgrades. Cheers

Dec 29, 2022 at 9:13 PM Post #2,985 of 6,564
HA300 sounds fantastic for both my ZMF VC and Susvara with the Susvara always dead silent while the VC is more susceptible to picking up noise e.g RF, ringing of 300B tube as it warms up etc, depending on the tubes used, in my system. I even heard some Indian music playing very faintly (probably my neighbour) but when I lifted the ZMF cable it disappears (I suspect either RF or something coming through our shared powerline as I live in a complex). I have rolled many tubes so far and only one pair was dead silent for the VC whereas the Susvara is dead silent for everything

Haha, I would hear RF-related music on the HA-300 while using the VC as well. The positioning of the cable and time of day affected how strong the radio signal would come in (Country music in my case; is this what they call a "value added"?). In the worst case, I could actually make out the words in the vocals. Funny enough though, after moving about 300 feet away in the same building, this added functionality has been removed.

Among my headphones, the VC is the most sensitive to RF noise and especially tube noise. The Utopia (which is of course very sensitive but lower Z) picks up quite a lot less so.

And of course as you say, the Susvara is dead quiet, because... Susvara. Same has been true for every planar I've ever used with the HA-300 (maybe about 6 in total).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back