Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Dec 17, 2022 at 7:09 AM Post #2,851 of 6,564
The 4.4mm definitely cuts down on noise, but also sounds a bit lifeless/gimped compared to the 1/4" and XLR to my ears. If I could only use the 4.4mm, I would have sold this amp already. The 1/4" and XLR both have the magic for me, and I actually prefer the 1/4" the most with my VC's.
Yes I agree, I only use 6.35mm, I am not sure why but I think there must surely be some circuitry affecting the output during conversion

Thankfully for me most of my favorite tubes are silent with the utopia, so I can continue to use 6.35mm. I will probably get a 4.4mm cable eventually to have a better experience with the other tubes.

The planars will remain 6.35mm forever.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2022 at 9:31 AM Post #2,852 of 6,564
88 db @ 4 ohm is too heavy for a 300B SET amp to drive. I guess Buchardt min power requirement about 50w @8 ohm.

You will hear only midrange and midbass dominant in the reproduction. Loss the dynamics, shrinking staging and miss the extended high and low bass. CMIIW.

You need at least speakers with 95db sens @ 8 ohm for HA300 to sing.

Yah, and as I said:

"It's pretty fun, even though these speakers (88dB, 4 ohms) are by no means the best fit for what a mere pair of 300B's can output."

Dec 17, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #2,853 of 6,564
Hey everyone, can someone do me a favour and confirm the values of the internal fuse on the mk 1 (the one inside the power unit, not the one on the outside near the plug). I've blown that fuse so many times now that I've lost the plot and can't remember where I started! Maybe I'll tell that tale soon.

Dec 17, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #2,854 of 6,564
88 db @ 4 ohm is too heavy for a 300B SET amp to drive. I guess Buchardt min power requirement about 50w @8 ohm.

You will hear only midrange and midbass dominant in the reproduction. Loss the dynamics, shrinking staging and miss the extended high and low bass. CMIIW.

You need at least speakers with 95db sens @ 8 ohm for HA300 to sing.
Yah, and as I said:

"It's pretty fun, even though these speakers (88dB, 4 ohms) are by no means the best fit for what a mere pair of 300B's can output."

Sensitivity is just one of the factors, and probably not the most important factor IMHO. The size of the speaker, the number of drivers (or complexity and efficiency of crossover), the volume of your listening area, and the music genres that you'll playback from this system will all play their roles in this subject. For instance, a lot of Chinese audiophiles like to use 8 w.p.c. 300B SETA amplifier to pair with BBC LS3/5A monitors. The speaker is rated at 82.5dB/W/M, but it's a small shoe-box speaker with a 4.5" (110mm) woofer and in most cases, set up in a relatively small listening area. Most of the LS3/5A fans are focused on vocal-based music, no rock n roll, OST/orchestra, or demanding music of any sort. The 4.5" woofer will bottom out when you drive it too hard anyway, that's why a lot of audiophile like to use 300B SETA with this 82dB small speaker.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 17, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #2,855 of 6,564
Sensitivity is just one of the factors, and probably not the most important factor IMHO. The size of the speaker, the number of drivers (or complexity and efficiency of crossover), the volume of your listening area, and the music genres that you'll playback from this system will all play their roles in this subject. For instance, a lot of Chinese audiophiles like to use 8 w.p.c. 300B SETA amplifier to pair with BBC LS3/5A monitors. The speaker is rated at 82.5dB/W/M, but it's a small shoe-box speaker with a 4.5" (110mm) woofer and in most cases, set up in a relatively small listening area. Most of the LS3/5A fans are focused on vocal-based music, no rock n roll, OST/orchestra, or demanding music of any sort. The 4.5" woofer will bottom out when you drive it too hard anyway, that's why a lot of audiophile like to use 300B SETA with this 82dB small speaker.
Yes I have heard Audion Silver Night 300B (8w) with Rogers LS3/5. Like you said don't expect slamming bass, play orchestral music and must be placed in small room.

I recall It sounded quiet nice. The Rogers could produce nice vocal and crisp treble. Midrange not bloated and heavy like most under power amps do.👌

Dec 17, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #2,856 of 6,564
Yah, and as I said:

Yes I know, you have AHB2 for Buchardt and HA300 for Susvara 👍👍👍

Dec 17, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #2,857 of 6,564
I have a tale of woe that I'd like to share with my fellow 300b-ers in here. I had gotten a pair of Western Electrics a few months ago, which very much angered the tube gods. The ominous thunder clap when I picked them up should have told me. A few weeks ago, one of the tubes developed a subtle but unmistakable static - not too bad, but could be heard over music. I thought I'd take advantage of that excellent warranty, and I eventually got a second pair. This pair was straight from the distributor, supposedly fresh from the manufacturer. I put them in and almost blew my left ear off! The left tube was clearly and immediately defective - the VU metre on that side was going crazy, and not long after the fuse blew. Just to be sure it wasn't the amp, I put the stock tubes back in and everything was fine again.

So did I just have the worst luck, or what? Anyway, I contacted Parts Connexion (who are EXCELLENT to deal with), telling them I was feeling a bit gun-shy about yet another pair of WE300b. It wasn't said directly, but it was heavily implied that Western Electric might be going through some of the growing pains that many other 300b manufacturers do. Western Electric isn't new of course, but their plant is new. Perhaps they don't quite have their new 300b formula down yet.

If I remember correctly, there was another person in this thread that had similar issues with WE300b. Let this be a lesson, don't anger the gods! That said, I love angering gods, so I exchanged the WEs for Takatsukis :)

(Elrogs are 3-4 months out from Part Connexion, one of the reasons I didn't join the cult...yet)

Dec 17, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #2,858 of 6,564
I have a tale of woe that I'd like to share with my fellow 300b-ers in here. I had gotten a pair of Western Electrics a few months ago, which very much angered the tube gods. The ominous thunder clap when I picked them up should have told me. A few weeks ago, one of the tubes developed a subtle but unmistakable static - not too bad, but could be heard over music. I thought I'd take advantage of that excellent warranty, and I eventually got a second pair. This pair was straight from the distributor, supposedly fresh from the manufacturer. I put them in and almost blew my left ear off! The left tube was clearly and immediately defective - the VU metre on that side was going crazy, and not long after the fuse blew. Just to be sure it wasn't the amp, I put the stock tubes back in and everything was fine again.

So did I just have the worst luck, or what? Anyway, I contacted Parts Connexion (who are EXCELLENT to deal with), telling them I was feeling a bit gun-shy about yet another pair of WE300b. It wasn't said directly, but it was heavily implied that Western Electric might be going through some of the growing pains that many other 300b manufacturers do. Western Electric isn't new of course, but their plant is new. Perhaps they don't quite have their new 300b formula down yet.

If I remember correctly, there was another person in this thread that had similar issues with WE300b. Let this be a lesson, don't anger the gods! That said, I love angering gods, so I exchanged the WEs for Takatsukis :)

(Elrogs are 3-4 months out from Part Connexion, one of the reasons I didn't join the cult...yet)
The Elrog Gods know when you blaspheme against them! Repent! Repent your sins and order now!!!

Dec 17, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #2,859 of 6,564

That is why it is good to have a calibrated tube tester.

How do you like the 300B Japanese tubes?

Dec 17, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #2,860 of 6,564
That is why it is good to have a calibrated tube tester.

How do you like the 300B Japanese tubes?

A tube tester is not a bad idea…

I’ve only listened a couple hours so far, but the Takatsukis sound like they’re going to be a more neutral tube. The bass is already reaching deeper, and treble is more…complete sounding? So yeah, the WE300bs were probably a bit rolled on either end, as people say. But I have a feeling I’m going to miss that sweet treble and lush midrange. The sound was not the problem for me with those tubes.

I’ll try and post more impressions after some more burn in, there doesn’t seem to be a lot of impressions of the Taks out there.

Dec 17, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #2,861 of 6,564
A tube tester is not a bad idea…

I’ve only listened a couple hours so far, but the Takatsukis sound like they’re going to be a more neutral tube. The bass is already reaching deeper, and treble is more…complete sounding? So yeah, the WE300bs were probably a bit rolled on either end, as people say. But I have a feeling I’m going to miss that sweet treble and lush midrange. The sound was not the problem for me with those tubes.

I’ll try and post more impressions after some more burn in, there doesn’t seem to be a lot of impressions of the Taks out there.
The Takatsuki are very dry and precise. They are strong tubes with good extension on either end, but they lack any impact or weight. They are exactly what you'd expect from a Japanese tube - clean, precise, and efficient. My biggest dig on them is they lack 'character'. If the Elrogs didn't exist, they'd be my #3 picks (Behind the EML and the Kr-Audio Riccardo Kron Anniversary Editions).

IMO, YMMV.

Dec 17, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #2,862 of 6,564
The Takatsuki are very dry and precise. They are strong tubes with good extension on either end, but they lack any impact or weight. They are exactly what you'd expect from a Japanese tube - clean, precise, and efficient. My biggest dig on them is they lack 'character'. If the Elrogs didn't exist, they'd be my #3 picks (Behind the EML and the Kr-Audio Riccardo Kron Anniversary Editions).

IMO, YMMV.
What is your favorite 300B?

Dec 17, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #2,863 of 6,564

IMO, YMMV.
Sounds like a good match since nearly all of my headphones are impactful and weighty.

I’m betting these will be a great match with a pair of RCA grey glass. Or maybe Tung-Sols, if I can ever find a pair I can afford. I had my Sylvania VT-231s in to start since I feel they do a good job of waking up the warmer stock TJs, and they added some life here too.

Any others you would recommend?

Dec 17, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #2,864 of 6,564
Dec 17, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #2,865 of 6,564
Sounds like a good match since nearly all of my headphones are impactful and weighty.

I’m betting these will be a great match with a pair of RCA grey glass. Or maybe Tung-Sols, if I can ever find a pair I can afford. I had my Sylvania VT-231s in to start since I feel they do a good job of waking up the warmer stock TJs, and they added some life here too.

Any others you would recommend?
The Elrog 300B-Mo are the best I've encountered so far. They're bold, rich, weighty, bright, clean, and sweet. They're really the perfect tube. If you want something more "legacy 300B", I mentioned the KR-Audio 300B Riccardo Kron Anniversary Editions. Those are very bold and warm, very impactful. They lost a little bit on the top end, though. The Emission Labs 300B (family) are very nice, leaning the opposite way - they have done too end and sparkle, and the mids are very sweet.

I don't dislike the Western Electric, I just don't find anything special about them other than the historical name. There are other tube that I dislike more. For example, as nice as the Sophia Princess 274B is, the Royal Princess 300B are so incredibly noisy and microphonic that they're not worth listening to. They ping like wind chimes for sat least a half hour after start up, and if you so much as twitch in their general direction they pick it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back