Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Dec 7, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #2,791 of 6,564
Dec 7, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #2,792 of 6,564
Thanks for sharing! I am having a blast rolling all my 22DE4's, and it's great to know T.M. is a fan of this tube type too.
What have been your favorite so far? I'm using the GEs currently. I have the coin base style which it seems is essentially the same as the Slyvania. I feel like they brought the low end up from the default RCA ones.

Dec 7, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #2,793 of 6,564
What have been your favorite so far? I'm using the GEs currently. I have the coin base style which it seems is essentially the same as the Slyvania. I feel like they brought the low end up from the default RCA ones.
Tough call, as I like them all. I am currently running some Japanese made black plates, and loving it.

Dec 8, 2022 at 12:31 AM Post #2,794 of 6,564
Hi. Today I got the ha300mk2. I wonder if it’s normal that the power supply makes an electrical noise? It starts after a few seconds and doesn’t go away.
Would someone with the HA300 check if the psu makes noise like this? I made another clip of the transformator sound

You have to put the phone up to your ear to hear what I hear in the room.

Thanks.

Thank you for recording the problem, after hearing the hum from your video, I suggest you get in touch with your dealer and report the problem if you haven't done so already, this is not what it should be, the PSU should run silently when operating normally.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 8, 2022 at 4:54 AM Post #2,796 of 6,564
Where does Thomas Mayer get boxes of 22de4 Sylvania tubes where each box contains 100 tubes?

Has anyone heard one of his custom-built headphone amplifiers?

Jeff.
He probably bought them years ago. As tube amp manufacturer he probably has long standing connections to tube suppliers.

This is his website where you can read a little about the amps:
https://www.vinylsavor.com/en/products/other-1/

And a blog entry about his headamps:
http://vinylsavor.blogspot.com/search/label/Headphones

I couldn't listen to any of them, so I don't have any actual experience to share

Dec 9, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #2,797 of 6,564
Has anyone personally compared the HA-300 with the Feliks Envy, especially with a Susvara? As much as I love my Cayin, I cant help but wonder if the almost double the price of the Feliks amp also brings actual sonic benefits.

Dec 9, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #2,798 of 6,564
Has anyone personally compared the HA-300 with the Feliks Envy, especially with a Susvara? As much as I love my Cayin, I cant help but wonder if the almost double the price of the Feliks amp also brings actual sonic benefits.
I heard them both at canjam but I didn’t A/B them. I think the Envy is weightier sounding from memory with default tubes. The Envy sounded really nice. The upgrade is a big price jump for sure.

Dec 9, 2022 at 9:01 PM Post #2,799 of 6,564
I heard them both at canjam but I didn’t A/B them. I think the Envy is weightier sounding from memory with default tubes. The Envy sounded really nice. The upgrade is a big price jump for sure.
Thanks. The thing is my HA-300 has fully upgraded tubes, Elrog 300Bs, Melz 1578s and GE rectifiers. So I wonder how the Feliks would compare with that configuration. Although of course I could transfer these tubes to the Envy if I went that route. Decisions, decisions...

Dec 9, 2022 at 9:10 PM Post #2,800 of 6,564
Thanks. The thing is my HA-300 has fully upgraded tubes, Elrog 300Bs, Melz 1578s and GE rectifiers. So I wonder how the Feliks would compare with that configuration. Although of course I could transfer these tubes to the Envy if I went that route. Decisions, decisions...
I have the same tubes in Envy, and I assure, they sound fantastic! I would not presume to say that it sounds better than the Cayin with the same tubes. I have fun rolling tubes, but the amp itself, with Elrog/Melz, is truly endgame tube amp for me.

Dec 9, 2022 at 9:38 PM Post #2,801 of 6,564
I have the same tubes in Envy, and I assure, they sound fantastic! I would not presume to say that it sounds better than the Cayin with the same tubes. I have fun rolling tubes, but the amp itself, with Elrog/Melz, is truly endgame tube amp for me.
Thanks that's useful info. I guess the only to know for sure would be to test both amps with these upgraded tubes. Wonder how far apart they would be. Maybe one day I'll be able to test.

Dec 9, 2022 at 9:46 PM Post #2,802 of 6,564
I have had several 300B SE amps before for my speaker setup. They all have classic 300B sound, gorgeous midrange, intimate, deep 3D staging, smooth treble, less hard hitting bass.

I like this Cayin HA300B because it has what I am missing from classic 300B amp -) extended crisp treble, deep bass (not hard hitting level thou) and still maintain the incredible midrange of 300B. It's like an improvement from WE oriented 300B, a modern 300B SE amp. I don't know about Envy never heard it before.

I also have heard a DIY 300B from Europe, quiet popular here. It is a good amp, very fast transient, dynamic, hard hitting bass, truly good amp. But, I think It is more like a push pull EL34 amp . I am kinda missing the 300B trade mark which makes it a legend. gorgeous midrange, intimate vocal, the musicality that can draw, indulge you to the music.

Try it with Susvara, it will bring out the most of HA300B.

Cheers..enjoy the music.

Dec 9, 2022 at 11:50 PM Post #2,803 of 6,564
i think if you chase a change were you would like to achieve a full bodied sound, i think that no matter what amp you will buy, the susvara will never be as some reviewers claim, to be this huge sound that will be full bodied. I had top of the line amps, yes you hear a difference using different amps, but will susvara ever change to be full bodied sound like an lcd4, never ever no matter what amp you use

the susvara is a fine sounding headphone, with great detail leaning on the thin side period, yes it has a big sound stage, but that stage is not filled. that is why susvara will remain its character no matter what amp will be used

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2022 at 12:26 AM Post #2,804 of 6,564
i think if you chase a change were you would like to achieve a full bodied sound, i think that no matter what amp you will buy, the susvara will never be as some reviewers claim, to be this huge sound that will be full bodied. I had top of the line amps, yes you hear a difference using different amps, but will susvara ever change to be full bodied sound like an lcd4, never ever no matter what amp you use

the susvara is a fine sounding headphone, with great detail leaning on the thin side period, yes it has a big sound stage, but that stage is not filled. that is why susvara will remain its character no matter what amp will be used
If you are after richness with refinement try the ZMF Caldera. It is my favorite headphone atm.

Dec 10, 2022 at 1:57 AM Post #2,805 of 6,564

On my system Susvara has good bass slam on both HA6a and Oor, I've heard it gets better on the new Bliss and some 300B amps, namely WA5, Envy ... and some people claim HA300 MK2, I'm yet to verify those claims, but a well tuned system with May Oor or HA6a should give a weighty, punchy sound if you have it burned in and setup correctly. It's not a myth.

Will Utopia and TC slam harder on the same system? Yes, but these are slam kings 🤠 while Susvara should be able to have 85-90% of those dynamics while still doing other Susvara things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back