Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Jul 6, 2022 at 6:19 AM Post #1,741 of 6,563
Anyone with MK2 noticed the power supply transformer's hums, this is replacement unit I received and I don't recall the first unit having this noise?
When powering on, it will start out a little loud for a brief 2-3 seconds then settled down to steady hums that it audible standing 2ft. away.
I checked all the tubes making sure in sit nice and tight and also rearrange them to see if that would help alleviate the noise.
Mine makes zero noise, dead silent.

Jul 6, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #1,743 of 6,563
Mine makes zero noise, dead silent.
Thickness I see you live in NYC , we lived in a big city high rise a few years ago that particular building caused havoc with my stereo . Though at first I blamed the component noise of a bad transformer in a new server , then later with the help of the audio dealer the cause was most likely the building’s wiring causing ground loop buzz effecting anything with a transformer even with a power conditioner could not entirely filter the buzz away as faint as it was.
Those exact same components in our new home not a peep of noise came out of it , I now have the HA-300 MK1next to a David Berning tube amplifiers , a transformerless topology the Cayin is the quietest operating tube component I’ve owned , if we would of stayed in that high rise i don’t think I would of enjoyed this hobby as much.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #1,744 of 6,563
Thickness I see you live in NYC , we lived in a big city high rise a few years ago that particular building caused havoc with my stereo . Though at first I blamed the component noise of a bad transformer in a new server , then later with the help of the audio dealer the cause was most likely the building’s wiring causing ground loop buzz effecting anything with a transformer even with a power conditioner could not entirely filter the buzz away as faint as it was.
Those exact same components in our new home not a peep of noise came out of it , I now have the HA-300 MK1next to a David Berning tube amplifiers , a transformerless topology the Cayin is the quietest operating tube component I’ve owned , if we would of stayed in that high rise i don’t think I would of enjoyed this hobby as much.
However, the key is did the first one make noise or not? If not, then it’s the amp.

On the other hand, it’s not unheard of for transformers to hum. My Audio Research amp did.

I’ll have my Mk2 on Friday I think, and I’ll post if it hums or not.

The person I can answer your question is Cayin. Send an email to them. I found their customer service to be excellent.

Jul 6, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #1,745 of 6,563
Jul 6, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #1,746 of 6,563
Not to change the subject, but what was wrong with the first one?
Initially was using it with an HD820 and the electrical background noises was excessive with all impedance settings. Notified tech support and was ship out a replacement unit.
The replacement unit still have the excessive electrical background noises with the HD820 and according to Andykong the HD820 was one of the headphone that were not tested with the MK2.
In hindsight there the original unit functions correctly and did not have the transformer hums. I'm now using it with the Susvara and there is not any detectable electrical background noises, just the power supply humming.

Jul 6, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #1,748 of 6,563
I wonder if that noise is due to all 300 ohm headphones, or just the HD820. I’ll be using mine with the ZMF Verite Closed which is also 300 ohm.
A headphone is not going to make a transformer hum audibly from several feet away. If he’s had problems with two units I’d say there’s a strong chance that there is a power/RFI issue where he lives. Either that or extremely bad luck

Jul 6, 2022 at 9:21 PM Post #1,751 of 6,563
When using dynamic driver headphones using the single-ended out, I can hear a radio station.
Is your power coming thru some kind of conditioner or direct from mains?
Hmmm, an Audioquest Niagara 1200. I'll try connecting it direct to the mains as a test later tonight, when it's audible again.
I just tried the amp connected directly from the wall and unfortunately, no improvement. Also, I think the radio station is playing country music. :cry:

Jul 6, 2022 at 10:58 PM Post #1,755 of 6,563
I wonder if that noise is due to all 300 ohm headphones, or just the HD820. I’ll be using mine with the ZMF Verite Closed which is also 300 ohm.
Roll in the Elrog 300B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back