Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Apr 12, 2024 at 12:25 AM Post #6,076 of 6,558
My recently purchased rectifiers (274b) made my listening really breathtaking — I periodically find myself nearly breathless. Capacitors have brought details that were almost annoying, but with good rectifiers the music is rich and almost palpable. Just can’t stop.
All you need is tubes :)
Finally I realized I have great DAC and don’t want anything better (yet).
Can these 274b rectifiers be used in a Cayin HA300 amp?

Jeff.

Apr 12, 2024 at 12:58 AM Post #6,077 of 6,558
Apr 12, 2024 at 3:54 AM Post #6,078 of 6,558
weirdest thing happened... i have my he9 and my cayin plugged into a psm156... when my he9 is powered on the hum from my cayin goes down to almost 0.. but if i turn the he9 off the hum increases... weird?
I also had issues with power I noticed when I had HA6a and Ferrum Oor with Hypsos.

When using sensitive cans like Utopia I was hearing a pop when Hypsos was firing up and a lot of power related hum and distortion.

That's when I started to seriously investigate my power setup, isolation etc. Power issues can be really tricky unfortunately.

For example when I switched from Niagara 1200 to PS Quinted I had PSU transformer humming for a few days, it went quiet now. The same when I was experimenting with some rectifiers.

As long as it's just trafo hum it's not a deal breaker. When it's audible noise in the audio circuit then it's a bigger issue.

Apr 12, 2024 at 5:56 AM Post #6,079 of 6,558
Mine arrived within days.
Waiting on adapters now.
You have Elrog MOs, that's different, I know that Krude is talking about the Elrog ERs.

I'm absolutely certain that the MOs are superior to the EML but you are going up quite a bit in price, we've got to be fair and keep that in mind, I'm very interested in how Krude is saying that the EMLs are comparable to the Elrog ERs while still being cheaper.
A fair point, and without other opinions, the forum is dead! Long live the Elrogs ... when they do go, i already feel WE300b knocking at my door. That blue glow... forget the sound :)

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2024 at 6:48 AM Post #6,080 of 6,558
Waiting on adapters now.

A fair point, and without other opinions, the forum is dead!
“Let a hundred flowers blossom”

Apr 12, 2024 at 7:11 AM Post #6,081 of 6,558
Long live the Elrogs ... when they do go, i already feel WE300b knocking at my door.
“King is dead, long live the king” or “sacred space is never empty” — to your preference :)

Apr 12, 2024 at 12:38 PM Post #6,082 of 6,558
That's the beauty of 300B, a lot of great and really varied tubes in this family.
Exactly, I had been concerned about losing the HA-6As power tube rolling capability but I can see now from your experiences and others that with the fame of the 300B you have multiple high quality modern productions that each offer a different sound.

Ok the 300B tube rolling still isn't quite as extensive as the pentode rolling and ofc it's much much more expensive (like seriously) but the fact is we have the options out there and they are expanding, more and more people are making 300Bs, we now have some meaningful choices to seriously tailer the output tube sound.

Apr 12, 2024 at 12:49 PM Post #6,083 of 6,558
weirdest thing happened... i have my he9 and my cayin plugged into a psm156... when my he9 is powered on the hum from my cayin goes down to almost 0.. but if i turn the he9 off the hum increases... weird?
High impedance dynamic driver headphones, like your HD800, will pick up even the slightest noise from the amp, it was a constant bane for me with my Verite & Atrium on the HA-6A, the HA-300 is actually not as bad for me and now I have the Caldera which barely picks up anything thankfully.

The biggest culprit is tube noise, with the HA-6A I had to find the quietest tubes possible and even then the Verite would show even the slightest twinge the tubes were having which could vary each time I turned the amp on.

Power made a big difference ofc it was all greatly helped with my PSM156s, its not just the mains power, I struggled terribly with noise coming in on the digital cable from my PC, galvanic isolation of the USB signal became a must for me.

Your case is a bit weird though, the hums increases when the other amp is off? Would have thought it would be the other way around.

Apr 12, 2024 at 12:56 PM Post #6,084 of 6,558
A fair point, and without other opinions, the forum is dead! Long live the Elrogs ... when they do go, i already feel WE300b knocking at my door. That blue glow... forget the sound :)
Are you concerned about them going?

Starting to see comments from multiple people about their Elrogs dying on them, given the cost that's a bit off-putting.

Apr 12, 2024 at 1:49 PM Post #6,085 of 6,558

Starting to see comments from multiple people about their Elrogs dying on them, given the cost that's a bit off-putting.
It would be unfair to propogate that about the Elrogs.

All tubes have every chance of dying each and every time we power them down force them to cool (NEVER LEAVE THEM ON UNATTENDED). Facts are facts, heating and cooling is seldom a kind process!! Im amazed that i have yet to lose a CV6 derrivative or 6sn7 derrivative. But clearly, 300bs are a much more sensitive package.

Wes S Lost an Elrog after a year, but he lost a WE300b within weeks!! I did loose an Elrog ER300b but i did not know the history prior to my ownership. There were batches of Elrogs that were known to die early, but then apparently manufacturing was sorted and this was during startup times so i understand. Fingers crossed they outlive me as they cost an absolute fortune. Some PSVane are listed as dying after only a few months. So i think you need to cut your cloth accordingly and for example if the EML are that much cheaper, it might be acceptable to factor in costs of failure once a year! Sorry, but 300bs and new production are still a very unknown measure i think.

My opinion of the Elrogs MO's (using CV6 Quads) and Susvara, is that there is nothing better to date and its a sound i dont want to be without ... ever. I suspect i will be selling my children when the day comes! ANyone want to exchange NOS WE300b for a couple of kids? They are nearly self sufficient! :)

Apr 12, 2024 at 2:07 PM Post #6,086 of 6,558

I also lost one ER but don't know the history either.

I know 2 people outside this forum who had multiple ER failures.

That being said Takatsuki also have that reputation. I'm yet to see a Psvane die but I've heard some stories as well.

With EML and new production WE you at least get a long warranty.

I think EML are the best bang at 1k euro with 5 years warranty, or trying to snatch some totl Psvane / EML 2nd hand half price.

Apr 12, 2024 at 2:09 PM Post #6,087 of 6,558
I also lost one ER but don't know the history either.

I know 2 people outside this forum who had multiple ER failures.

That being said Takatsuki also have that reputation. I'm yet to see a Psvane die but I've heard some stories as well.

With EML and new production WE you at least get a long warranty.

I think EML are the best bang at 1k euro with 5 years warranty, or trying to snatch some totl Psvane / EML 2nd hand half price.
Thats quite the warranty! Is WE 3 years?

Apr 12, 2024 at 2:11 PM Post #6,088 of 6,558
Thats quite the warranty! Is WE 3 years?
WE also 5. EML is easier tho as you just register the tubes online. No need to faff around with international post.

Apr 12, 2024 at 2:22 PM Post #6,089 of 6,558
It would be unfair to propogate that about the Elrogs.

All tubes have every chance of dying each and every time we power them down force them to cool (NEVER LEAVE THEM ON UNATTENDED). Facts are facts, heating and cooling is seldom a kind process!! Im amazed that i have yet to lose a CV6 derrivative or 6sn7 derrivative. But clearly, 300bs are a much more sensitive package.

Wes S Lost an Elrog after a year, but he lost a WE300b within weeks!! I did loose an Elrog ER300b but i did not know the history prior to my ownership. There were batches of Elrogs that were known to die early, but then apparently manufacturing was sorted and this was during startup times so i understand. Fingers crossed they outlive me as they cost an absolute fortune. Some PSVane are listed as dying after only a few months. So i think you need to cut your cloth accordingly and for example if the EML are that much cheaper, it might be acceptable to factor in costs of failure once a year! Sorry, but 300bs and new production are still a very unknown measure i think.

My opinion of the Elrogs MO's (using CV6 Quads) and Susvara, is that there is nothing better to date and its a sound i dont want to be without ... ever. I suspect i will be selling my children when the day comes! ANyone want to exchange NOS WE300b for a couple of kids? They are nearly self sufficient! :)
To be fair, my WE300B was only slightly noisy, and honestly it was the kind of noise that can actually go away after a bunch of hours. I am very picky, and WE actually tested the noisy tube and said it tested out perfectly, but they did hear a tiny bit of noise and agreed to replace it with a quieter one. When my Elrog ER300B went bad on me, it actually made a loud pop/poof sound and lost all sound and died.

So, I didn't loose a WE300B, I elected to get a quieter one. I did loose an ER300B though. :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2024 at 3:08 PM Post #6,090 of 6,558
Does EML have blue goodness? I feel WE already have my cash LOLOLOL!!
To be fair, my WE300B was only slightly noisy, and honestly it was the kind of noise that can actually go away after a bunch of hours. I am very picky, and WE actually tested the noisy tube and said it tested out perfectly, but they did hear a tiny bit of noise and agreed to replace it with a quieter one. When my Elrog ER300B went bad on me, it actually made a loud pop/poof sound and lost all sound and died.

So, I didn't loose a WE300B, I elected to get a quieter one. I did loose an ER300B though. :wink:
At the time, you were quite upset... you used the sinful words "Solid State" ... I was left traumatised as were you :)

I assumed it was a loss, sorry. Still, Elrogs are clearly not the only losses and im not really sure why we are all so desperately suprised when turning on a new bulb can lead to loss of bulb instantly (seen that twice) and an actual explosion of glass across the whole room (seen that once!). When my Elrog died it was a bit more graceful. I had a sudden loss of volume, some background noise, then nothing. Failures can take many forms obviously. Any idea why a fuse doesnt blow either first, or with it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back