Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Feb 26, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #526 of 6,385
Try the Psvane ACME 300B, that's a great pair of 300B tubes. To my ears, ACME 300Bs have a very open and precious sound, the combo of HA300 + ACME sounds like a mixture of high-end SS and 300B. I have tried TA300B, Elrog 300B, FullMusic 300B/Q, and ACME 300B recently on HA300, I'm confident enough to say ACME is so far the best tie with TA300B but in different flavors. I tested with TC, Susvara, D8000pro and Utopia+Dana all these headphones are handled extremely well under this combo.
Susvara: The overall sound becomes fuller and richer, the treble extension is further improved, the soundstage is about 30% larger than before. IMO, Susvara still fits this system the best.
TC: Previously, I do find the 300B amps generally make TC sound a bit too gentle, even with those TOTL 300B tubes (except Elrog). ACME is like a more refined or smoother version of Elrog (which sounds very clean but a little harsh in treble sometimes, an atypical 300B sound I would say). ACME is rich and warm in the bottom-end but clean and open in the treble. Thus, I feel ACME fixes some problems of TC without affecting the sound signature of TC by too much, the extra warmth in the mid-bass makes TC sound more "approachable". However, the bass attack is still not as satisfying as it with SS amps like headtrip.

Just wanted to say thanks for your post, as it became the tipping point leading me to decide on the ACMEs as my next pair of 300Bs. So now I have them plugged in, and they're sounding great straight out of the box, listening to them with the TCs. "Vivid" is the main word that comes to mind. I'm coming from EML 300Bs. I believe the ACMEs do sound like they're in a different class.

Feb 26, 2020 at 11:05 PM Post #527 of 6,385
"Vivid"! Spot on! ACME really should not be a hidden gem. I hope the price of ACME will not be hyped up forever. I still remember when I bought Fullmusic B/Q they were like $600ish, but now they go up to $800+ ... The same thing happened to Elrog and TAK which is a shame.

Feb 27, 2020 at 12:36 AM Post #528 of 6,385
"Vivid"! Spot on! ACME really should not be a hidden gem. I hope the price of ACME will not be hyped up forever. I still remember when I bought Fullmusic B/Q they were like $600ish, but now they go up to $800+ ... The same thing happened to Elrog and TAK which is a shame.

Well, it's we audiophiles' fault for hyping many tubes up to the skies, claiming many to be the second coming of Jesus. Tube vendors are only happy to take full advantage.
It really is a crime what happened to 6SN7 and 300B prices IMO.
Luckily, there are still few current-production tubes that sound very nice at much lower prices, e.g. Genalex Gold Lion PX300B :pray:

Feb 27, 2020 at 3:11 AM Post #529 of 6,385

Oh yikes, hope the ACME 300b prices don't go up, I do want to get that. Where did you guys buy yours? Where's the best place/site to buy in the US?

Do you think it makes a difference paying for Top 10% Best vs QC Pass? What's the difference between the Acme vs the Psvane WE300b (Western Replica)?

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2020 at 2:37 AM Post #530 of 6,385
Hi ,,
guys did anybody try this amp with HE6SE ?

Feb 29, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #531 of 6,385
Hi ,,
guys did anybody try this amp with HE6SE ?
I used to have HE6SE with HA300, but I sold them. HA300 is a good match with HE6SE, generally, Hifiman's sound signature works very well with 300B amps. In my experience, HA300 is an outstanding 300B amp at this price range, very versatile, superb build quality, great noise control, and I also prefer its sound over WA5LE 2, where to me WA5LE is more mid concentrated, HA300 is more balanced and elegant (don't count my words as the final judgment, everyone in this thread knows that I'm a stupid fanboy of this amp).

Feb 29, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #532 of 6,385
I used to have HE6SE with HA300, but I sold them. HA300 is a good match with HE6SE, generally, Hifiman's sound signature works very well with 300B amps. In my experience, HA300 is an outstanding 300B amp at this price range, very versatile, superb build quality, great noise control, and I also prefer its sound over WA5LE 2, where to me WA5LE is more mid concentrated, HA300 is more balanced and elegant (don't count my words as the final judgment, everyone in this thread knows that I'm a stupid fanboy of this amp).
Thank you very much for the input , that's really impressive it can power the HE6se
This amp is high in my list but i am still exploring other options,
Thanks again

Mar 4, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #533 of 6,385
On the topic of tube/valve rolling has anyone tried the new Audio Note 4300E. It is the molybdenum anode 300B made by Psvane for AN. They are around the same price as the Psvane WE 1:1 replica 300B so expecting at least that level of performance.

Also has anyone tried the Psvane 6SN7 T series mk2 on the HA300 as it looks to be a cost effective upgrade.

Meantime I have come to what may well be the culmination of my quest for an ideal speaker match for the HA300. Yes, yes I know its not a headphone thing per se. Anyhow the speakers are Horning Hybrid Perikles. They are out of production but the new Horning Aristotle will fill that gap in the range presently I believe. Mine are pre owned but well loved and refurbished by the dealer. They are a bit over 96dB in sensitivity with a very easy impedance curve (min at 6.1ohm) and here is a review link from a bit ago but still relevant. It is by Thorsten Loesch of ifi Audio fame!!!
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0700/horning.htm

I had tried some regular high efficiency speakers (allegedly) and auditioned some horn based speakers but didn't like their sound too much. The Hornings are based around a full range speaker cone which is used almost as a midrange unit but the sound it very dynamic and quite neutral in the mids. The soundstage is quite headphone like to me (more so than regular speakers) and they fill our lounge with sound at only 11 o'clock on the volume dial which is ideal.

Mar 4, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #534 of 6,385
On the topic of tube/valve rolling has anyone tried the new Audio Note 4300E. It is the molybdenum anode 300B made by Psvane for AN. They are around the same price as the Psvane WE 1:1 replica 300B so expecting at least that level of performance.

I'm actually wondering about that Audio Note 4300E, too. Hopefully someone has some experience with it

Mar 4, 2020 at 7:43 PM Post #535 of 6,385
Just a quick update. If you want to experience some KILLER BASS, try Ken Rad VT231(6sn7GT) black glass version(not the clear one, they are completely different), they are mind blowing!!! These tubes are all about the bass, it's deep, punchy and fast. The price of NOS KR VT231 is still OK, not as crazy as metal base sylvania 6sn7gtw or Tungsol v231 black round plate.

Mar 4, 2020 at 7:47 PM Post #536 of 6,385
Just a quick update. If you want to experience some KILLER BASS, try Ken Rad VT231(6sn7GT) black glass version(not the clear one, they are completely different), they are mind blowing!!! These tubes are all about the bass, it's deep, punchy and fast. The price of NOS KR VT231 is still OK, not as crazy as metal base sylvania 6sn7gtw or Tungsol v231 black round plate.

I have used the Ken-Rad Black Glass on my Schiit Lyr 3 amp vs the Sylvania '52 3-hole Bad Boys, and although there's better bass, I felt the mids got a bit thinner w/ the Ken-Rad. I'm open to trying it again, though.

Mar 4, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #537 of 6,385
I have used the Ken-Rad Black Glass on my Schiit Lyr 3 amp vs the Sylvania '52 3-hole Bad Boys, and although there's better bass, I felt the mids got a bit thinner w/ the Ken-Rad. I'm open to trying it again, though.
Yes, they do make the mid thinner. I think that's also why they are one tiny step away from those all time classic 6sn7/vt231s. But with 300bs like TA300B, or ACMEs they are fine.

Mar 5, 2020 at 3:00 AM Post #538 of 6,385
I have most of the rare tubes in my collection including Tung-Sol BGRPs, Sylvania 6sn7w metal bases, RCA 5692s. My favourite 6sn7s for the HA-300 are the Melz 1578 (Perforated Anodes). Neutral sounding while tightening up the bass and giving a more airy treble, leading to more precise and holographic imaging. It is on the drier, leaner side though and not recommended for those who prefer a "tubier" sound.

These tubes are cheaper than Tung-Sol BGRPs and Sylvania metal bases but are pretty rare and most of those being sold aren't the real deal.
The real 1578s will feature:
  • A metal base ; not a plastic one.
  • Show an OTK label
  • The plates will be black, metallic, and have 2 holes in each, along with 5 holes on the poles.
  • The glass will absolutely state 1578 on it. If it doesn't have that, you're still not getting the right ones.
If you do come across them, its worth giving them a shot.

Mar 5, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #539 of 6,385
Do you guys notice any sonic improvements going from single ended to balanced headphone cable w/ the Cayin HA-300, given that it's not a true balanced amp end to end?

I noticed on my LCD-3 2018 Fazor that going from my Single Ended to Balanced XLR on Periapt cables, I lose weight in the bottom end in place of clearer, more extended mids and treble.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2020 at 12:52 AM Post #540 of 6,385
The HA 300 is gorgeous. Maybe one day. It might be a good replacement for my Pathos Aurium. Looking forward to reading the entire thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back